Tue, Sep. 20, 4:59 PM
- Clovis (NASDAQ:CLVS) has always been considered an acquisition target with a “long list” of potential suitors including Eli Lilly (NYSE:LLY), Merck & Co. (NYSE:MRK) , and Roche, Janney tells Bloomberg in an interview.
- CEO Patrick Mahaffy has sold other companies including Pharmion, NeXstar Pharmaceuticals.
- Clovis closed +12.7% and is up another 7.7% AH. Earlier today the stock jumped when Gilead (NASDAQ:GILD) said it is looking for cancer deals.
- Clovis's PDUFA date for ovarian cancer drug rucaparib is Feb. 23, 2017.
Jan. 12, 2015, 2:14 AM
- Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY) is acquiring a majority of Foundation Medicine (NASDAQ:FMI) for more than $1B, by buying a combination of outstanding and newly issued shares for a 52.4%-56.3% stake on a fully diluted basis.
- Foundation is the leader in the growing area of sequencing the genes of tumor samples, looking for mutations that can help predict which drug will be most effective for a particular patient.
Aug. 24, 2014, 5:31 PM
- Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY, OTCPK:RHHBF) will pay $74/share for InterMune (NASDAQ:ITMN), a 38% premium to its Friday close and 63% higher than Aug. 12 when news of a potential sale emerged.
- The deal gives Roche access to pirfenidone, which targets idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, a disease that causes tissue deep in the lungs to become thick and scarred over time. Analysts predict pirfenidone will generate $1B in global sales by 2019.
- Pirfenidone joins Roche’s stable of pulmonary treatments, including Pulmozyme for cystic fibrosis, Xolair for asthma, and in-development asthma drug lebrikizumab. Roche plans to speed pirfenidone’s U.S. start-up and help get insurance coverage for the medicine.
Aug. 17, 2014, 8:12 AM
- Chugai Pharmaceutical (OTCPK:CHGCY) denies a rumor that surfaced Friday, which stated that Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY) was in talks to buy the 40% stake of Chugai that it does not already own for $10B.
- The media report "is not based on any announcement made by Chugai or Roche," says the Japanese company in a news release.
- Previously: Roche may gobble up the rest of Chugai
Jul. 2, 2014, 2:36 AM
- Roche (RHHBY) has announced it will buy Seragon, a breast cancer research company, for $725M. The company may pay up to another $1B based on future performance. Seragon was spun out from Aragon Pharmaceuticals last year, when the latter was purchased for $650M by Johnson & Johnson.
- Seragon is the second major acquisition for Roche in the last two months. The company bought Genia Technologies for up to $350M in in June.
Apr. 7, 2014, 7:08 AM
- Roche (RHHBF) has acquired privately held IQuum for up to $450M in a deal that will boost the Swiss company's molecular diagnostics business.
- Roche will pay $275M up front and $175M in product-related milestones.
- IQuum says its "lab-in-a-tube technology" enables "non-specialized personnel to perform more sophisticated biological sample testing in any setting." (PR)
Dec. 23, 2013, 6:05 PM
- Carlyle Group (CG) appears to be the leader to acquire Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ) clinical diagnostics unit, beating out P-E peer Blackstone (BX) and its partner Danaher (DHR), Reuters reports.
- The exact price of CG's offer is not known, but a deal likely would fetch ~$4B and could be completed within the next two weeks.
- JNJ's ortho clinical diagnostics unit makes blood-screening equipment and laboratory blood tests; it's a small player in a market led by Roche (RHHBY, RHHBF), Siemens (SI), Abbott Labs (ABT) and DHR.