Wed, Aug. 19, 7:25 AM
- Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY) acquires privately-held Wilmington, MA-based Kapa Biosystems, a provider of genomic tools that optimize enzymes for next-generation sequencing (NGS), polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and real-time PCR applications. Kapa's large portfolio of NGS reagents, including novel DNA polymerases, have the potential to improve the performance of the entire sequencing workflow.
- Financial terms of the transaction are not disclosed.
Thu, Aug. 13, 6:57 AM
- Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY) acquires privately-held Los Gatos, CA-based GeneWEAVE for $190M upfront plus up to $235M in product-related milestones. Once closed, the company will be integrated into Roche Molecular Diagnostics.
- GeneWEAVE develops clinical microbiology diagnostic solutions to aid healthcare professionals in their fight against drug-resistant bacteria. Its technology, called Smarticles, measures antibiotic susceptibility in addition to the detection of bacterial nucleic acid. The company refers to it as "Sample-In/Susceptibility-Out." The approach provides healthcare providers access to quick and accurate diagnoses that enable them to make more rapid informed treatment decisions.
Thu, Apr. 2, 12:45 PM
- At a special meeting of Foundation Medicine (FMI +0.2%) stockholders, almost all of the 78% of the total number of outstanding shares eligible voted in favor of Roche's (OTCQX:RHHBY +0.6%) plan to acquire a majority stake in the firm. The successful vote satisfies one of the remaining closing conditions of the proposed deal.
- The transaction will include Roche's pending tender offer, which expires on April 6, to buy up to 15.6M shares of FMI common stock at $50 per share and the purchase of 5M newly issued shares of common also at $50.
- Previously: Roche to purchase majority stake in Foundation Medicine (Jan. 12)
Mon, Feb. 9, 4:01 PM
- Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY -2.5%) acquires Potsdam, Germany-based Signature Diagnostics AG, a translational oncology and genomics company that develops large blood plasma and tissue biobanks in multiple cancers that are constructed from multicenter prospective clinical studies. Signature uses its biobank samples with clinical progression and genetic data to develop and validate circulating cell-free DNA (cfDNA) tests, which show promise in non-invasive treatment response monitoring.
- Roche intends to leverage Signature's expertise in cancer biobanks and next generation sequencing (NGS) assay development to accelerate the development of targeted NGS-based diagnostics.
- Specific terms of the deal are undisclosed.
Fri, Jan. 16, 6:14 AM
- Looking to gain access to an experimental drug to treat spinal muscular atrophy, Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY) has agreed to buy privately-held Trophos.
- The acquisition is the latest in a spate of deals by Roche, following its purchase of a $1B stake in Foundation Medicine and licensing agreement with Genome pioneer J. Craig Venter.
- Under the terms of the agreement with Trophos, the French firm's shareholders will receive an upfront payment of €120M ($140M), plus further payments based on predetermined milestones worth up to €350M.
- OTCQX:RHHBY -2.2% premarket
Mon, Jan. 12, 2:14 AM
- Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY) is acquiring a majority of Foundation Medicine (NASDAQ:FMI) for more than $1B, by buying a combination of outstanding and newly issued shares for a 52.4%-56.3% stake on a fully diluted basis.
- Foundation is the leader in the growing area of sequencing the genes of tumor samples, looking for mutations that can help predict which drug will be most effective for a particular patient.
Dec. 2, 2014, 7:10 AM
- Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY) acquires privately-held San Jose, CA-based Ariosa Diagnostics for an undisclosed sum. Ariosa provides molecular diagnostic testing services, principally non-invasive prenatal testing using cell-free DNA technology.
- The company's Harmony Prenatal Test measures fetal cell-free DNA from a sample of the mother's blood. It is designed to assess the risk of Down syndrome.
Nov. 24, 2014, 8:40 AM
- Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:TTPH) is reportedly considering selling itself after being approached by interested suitors. Sources say the acquirer could be Acetelion (OTCPK:ALIOF) (OTC:ALIOY) or Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY).
- The attraction is Tetraphase's antibiotic eravacycline, currently in Phase 3 development. Both oral and IV formulations of the drug have demonstrated higher dose response rates than Johnson & Johnson's (NYSE:JNJ) Levaquin (levofloxacin) for the treatment of complicated urinary tract infections. In the Ignite-2 study, patients receiving 200 mg eravacycline IV-to-oral doses achieved a response rate of 70.8% while patients receiving 250 mg IV-to-oral doses achieved 64.3%, both significantly ahead of Levaquin's 52.2% response rate.
- A trial comparing eravacycline to Merck's (NYSE:MRK) Invanz (ertapenem) for the treatment of complicated intra-abdominal infections is underway.
- TTPH is up 18% premarket on light volume.
- Previously: Tetraphase completes eravacycline Phase 3 enrollment
Aug. 25, 2014, 7:12 AM
Aug. 24, 2014, 5:31 PM
- Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY, OTCPK:RHHBF) will pay $74/share for InterMune (NASDAQ:ITMN), a 38% premium to its Friday close and 63% higher than Aug. 12 when news of a potential sale emerged.
- The deal gives Roche access to pirfenidone, which targets idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, a disease that causes tissue deep in the lungs to become thick and scarred over time. Analysts predict pirfenidone will generate $1B in global sales by 2019.
- Pirfenidone joins Roche’s stable of pulmonary treatments, including Pulmozyme for cystic fibrosis, Xolair for asthma, and in-development asthma drug lebrikizumab. Roche plans to speed pirfenidone’s U.S. start-up and help get insurance coverage for the medicine.
- Press release
Aug. 18, 2014, 4:55 PM
- According to the WSJ's Helen Thomas, Roche's (OTCQX:RHHBY +0.7%) reported interest in spending $10B for the 40% of Chugai Pharmaceutical it doesn't own reflects more on what's not out there than what is. The lack of attractive acquisition candidates due to bullish valuations, in Roche's view, means that it makes more sense deploy its money into a known quantity. In other words, it doesn't want to overpay for a new company that fails to reach its potential.
- Chugai's shares are no bargain, either, so Roche's timing is surprising if, indeed, it decides to make the move. Ms. Thomas thinks Roche's substantial cash horde may burning a hole in its corporate pocket. A special dividend to shareholders appears unlikely.
Aug. 18, 2014, 4:18 AM
- Despite Chugai Pharmaceutical (OTCPK:CHGCY) denying a rumor on Saturday of a Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY) takeover, Chugai shares jumped 15% to close at ¥3,825 on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, recording the stock's largest advance in more than 14 years.
- Sources say Roche will acquire the 38% stake of Chugai stock it does not already own for $10B, although the company says it is not even discussing the idea with Roche.
Aug. 17, 2014, 8:12 AM
- Chugai Pharmaceutical (OTCPK:CHGCY) denies a rumor that surfaced Friday, which stated that Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY) was in talks to buy the 40% stake of Chugai that it does not already own for $10B.
- The media report "is not based on any announcement made by Chugai or Roche," says the Japanese company in a news release.
- Previously: Roche may gobble up the rest of Chugai
Aug. 15, 2014, 12:47 PM
Aug. 13, 2014, 1:25 PM
- Shares of InterMune (ITMN +14.3%) spike on a 2x surge in volume in response to rumors that Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY +0.4%), Sanofi (SNY +0.7%), Glaxo (GSK -0.1%) and Actelion (OTCPK:ALIOF) (OTC:ACIOY) are preparing offers. Trading in ITMN shares was halted briefly at 1:00 pm EDT due to abnormal volatility.
Aug. 4, 2014, 11:47 AM
- Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY -0.6%) agrees to acquire Copenhagen-based Santaris Pharma for an upfront fee of $250M in cash and up to $200M in development-related milestone payments.
- Santaris' proprietary Locked Nucleic Acid platform enables the development of RNA-targeting therapeutics.
- The transaction is expected to close this month.
RHHBY vs. ETF Alternatives
Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, Roche is a leader in research-focused healthcare with combined strengths in pharmaceuticals and diagnostics. Roche is the world's largest biotech company, with truly differentiated medicines in oncology, immunology, infectious diseases, ophthalmology and... More
Other News & PR