Roundy's Supermarkets, IncNYSE
Nov. 11, 2015, 9:06 AM
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) snaps up Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) for $3.60 per share in an all-cash deal.
- The acquisition is expected to be slightly accretive to Kroger earnings in the first year after closing. Cost savings will be piled back into growing the Roundy's business.
- Roundy's +64.2% to $3.58 in premarket trading.
May 14, 2015, 9:47 PM
- Consolidation in the grocery industry could pick up even more, observes Supermarket News.
- A large merger between Albertsons and Safeway (NYSE:SWY) has been followed by talks between Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) and Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY).
- The increased push by Wal-Mart and Target in the sector has added pressure to leverage store growth through M&A.
- "There is mounting pressure in the supermarket industry to consolidate operations to drive better purchasing power and leverage distribution and technology platforms," notes Wolfe Research.
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) is seen as a likely candidate to look for a chain to acquire.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize confirm merger talks (May 12)
- Grocery stocks: RNDY, SVU, VLGEA, WFM, CASY, IMKTA, OTCPK:PUSH, TFM, SFM, WMK.
May 11, 2015, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Dec. 2, 2013, 4:40 PM
- Safeway (SWY) sells 11 Dominick's stores in the Chicago metro area in a cash and lease assumption deal to Roundy's (RNDY) for $36M. Close is expected this month.
- Safeway had announced earlier in the year its decision to exit the Chicago market. The supermarket operator continues to actively shop its remaining stores.
- Update: In conjunction, Randy has suspended its 5.7% dividend to invest the capital into the Mariano's brand. (8-K)
- RNDY +5.7% AH
- Safeway PR, Roundy's PR