What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Jul. 31, 2015, 3:16 PM
- In addition to missing Q2 revenue estimates (while posting in-line EPS), ROVI has guided for 2015 revenue of $500M-$530M and EPS of $1.35-$1.60, below a consensus of $546.6M and $1.70. The low end of the guidance range assumes no new/one-time revenue sources, something Rovi considers "unlikely."
- The company plans to spend $50M on buybacks in Q3. Following today's selloff to new 52-week lows, that $50M should go further. Shares trade for 7.6x the midpoint of Rovi's 2015 EPS guidance range.
- Q2 results, PR
Jul. 30, 2015, 4:15 PM
- Rovi (NASDAQ:ROVI): Q2 EPS of $0.38 in-line.
- Revenue of $127.8M (-6.8% Y/Y) misses by $3.15M.
Jul. 16, 2015, 12:46 PM
Jul. 16, 2015, 9:15 AM
Jul. 16, 2015, 9:13 AM
- The judge's claim construction ruling largely went in Rovi's favor, with Rovi's proposed constructions adopted for 8 of the 9 disputed claim terms. Rovi adds the court also "rejected attempts by Netflix to limit the scope of the patents to the area of broadcast television."
- Not surprisingly, Rovi plans to appeal the invalidity ruling. Shares have tumbled to $15.37.
- B. Riley is defending Rovi. "ROVI shares are already pricing in the worst case scenario of that litigation ... We fully expect ROVI to 'appeal” this ruling by bringing additional patents into the litigation against NFLX ... 'Given that the “Big 4' license renewal discussions (Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Dish Network and DirecTV) cover a set of patents with significantly broader reach and use-cases than the original five involved in the NFLX litigation, we continue to believe this ruling is unlikely to have any impact on those discussions."
- Prior Rovi/Netflix coverage
Jul. 15, 2015, 12:12 PM
Jul. 14, 2015, 2:11 PM
- The announcement comes ahead of Rovi's July 30 Q2 report.
- Last week: Rovi names SiriumXM CEO its new chairman
Jul. 8, 2015, 4:06 PM
- In May, chairman Andrew Ludwick lost his board seat after activist Engaged Capital managed to get two of its nominated directors elected. CEO Tom Carson had been serving as chairman since.
- Rovi rallied to $16.25 today. YTD, the program guide/content-protection IP provider remains down 28%.
Jun. 29, 2015, 3:38 PM
- A long list of tech companies are posting big declines as the Nasdaq drops 2.2% amid a market rout triggered by expectations of a pending Greek default.
- 6%+ decliners include program guide/content protection IP firm Rovi (ROVI -9.5%), ultracapacitor maker Maxwell (MXWL -8.2%), wireless charging tech developer Energous (WATT -9%), cybersecurity hardware/software provider KEYW Holding (KEYW -8.5%), LED sapphire wafer maker Rubicon (RBCN -10.8%), IP licensing firm WiLAN (WILN -7.1%), security software provider Wave Systems (WAVX -11.6%), online video hosting platform Brightcove (BCOV -7%).
- In a repeat of Friday's trading, many Chinese tech names are also off sharply. The group includes mobile app developer Cheetah Mobile (CMCM -9.7%), e-commerce services firm Baozun (BZUN -8%), online travel agency eLong (LONG -15.3%), and online retailer LightInTheBox (LITB -7.8%).
- See also: LinkedIn, Yandex/Qiwi, solar stocks, Xoom, AppliedMicro
Jun. 15, 2015, 5:40 PM
May 13, 2015, 2:51 PM
- Two of the directors nominated by Rovi (ROVI +0.2%) activist Engaged Capital - Raghavendra Rau and Glenn Welling - have been elected to the program guide/content-protection IP firm's board at today's annual meeting. A third, David Lockwood, wasn't elected.
- Notably, one of the Rovi directors being replaced is chairman Andew Ludwick. The other is Jim O'Shaughnessy, a former IP counsel at multiple tech firms.
- Rovi states CEO Tom Carson will now be chairman under the company's bylaws. The company also tries to put a positive spin on the vote. "We thank our stockholders for their efforts and consideration in re-electing five of our directors ... We also value insights and feedback we have received from our stockholders over the past several weeks. We look forward to welcoming Glenn and Raghu to the Board..."
- Back in April, Engaged accused Rovi's board of having ""all the hallmarks of a broken and unaccountable governance structure that has incubated poor decision making and led to the continued destruction of shareholder value." In February, Rovi was reported to be interested in hiring a strategic advisor.
Apr. 30, 2015, 4:16 PM
- Rovi (NASDAQ:ROVI): Q1 EPS of $0.39 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $134.02M (-6.0% Y/Y) beats by $2.96M.
Apr. 20, 2015, 10:21 AM
- ROVI has inked a multi-year renewal of its program guide licensing deal with U.S. cable provider Charter. As part of the deal, Charter will "also be able to license Rovi's products and services, including Rovi Search, Recommendations and Conversation Services, Rovi Metadata and Rovi Analytics."
- Rovi's beaten-down shares have rallied strongly in response; they closed on Friday less than $1 away from a 52-week low of $17.03. Q1 results arrive on April 30.
- Last week: Rovi activist issues new letter
Apr. 16, 2015, 1:35 PM
- Three weeks after submitting a slate of 3 directors for election at Rovi's (ROVI -2.5%) May 13 annual meeting, Engaged Capital (0.6% stake) has issued a new letter accusing Rovi's board of having "all the hallmarks of a broken and unaccountable governance structure that has incubated poor decision making and led to the continued destruction of shareholder value."
- To back up its argument, Engaged notes the poor performance of Rovi's shares over the last 5 years, and asserts the board and management "have netted approximately $48 million in cumulative compensation" since the 2011 Sonic Solutions merger. It also notes average board tenure is 10 years, and claims directors lack needed video/software industry experience.
- The letter comes a day after Rovi announced its voice recognition/UI software will be integrated with Dish's mobile apps and Hopper Voice Remote. Q1 results are due on April 30.
Mar. 26, 2015, 10:01 AM
- Engaged Capital, owner of a 0.6% stake (modest by activist standards) in ROVI, has submitted a slate of three directors for election at the company's May 13 annual meeting.
- The activist notes the board collectively owns just 0.2% of Rovi's shares, and says it has "sought to work with the Board to improve strategy, cost structure, capital allocation, executive compensation and corporate governance."
- Meanwhile, Rovi has issued a statement regarding yesterday's Netflix suit hearing, which triggered a 12% drop. "No decision was made and we remain confident in our arguments and look forward to the judge’s decision, which is expected sometime in the next couple months."
Mar. 25, 2015, 4:09 PM
- ROVI tumbled over the final hour of trading as a hearing for the company's infringement suit against Netflix took place. Netflix has been seeking a summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Rovi received an unfavorable ITC ruling for an infringement suit against Netflix and Roku back in 2013, and saw a non-infringement ruling for a suit against Amazon upheld last year. Rovi has accused all three firms of infringing its program guide patents.
- Shares are down 16% over the last two days.
Other News & PR