Sanderson Farms Valuation Report
JAR Financial Management • 13 Comments
JAR Financial Management • 13 Comments
Mon, Jun. 6, 10:04 AM
- BMO Capital takes a dimmer view on the upside for meat producers after factoring in the strong rally in the sector which has pushed up valuation levels.
- Tyson Foods (TSN -3.4%) and Pilgrim's Pride (PPC -3%) are both moved by BMO to Market Perform from Outperform.
- BMO set a price target of $69 on TSN and PPC caught a $27 PT.
- It's a weak day across the sector with Sanderson Farms (SAFM -1.9%), Hormel (HRL -0.7%) and JBS (OTCQX:JBSAY -2.3%) ADRs all lower.
- Related sector news: Plant-based hamburger startup creates some interesting sizzle (June 4)
Mon, May 9, 1:59 PM
- Select food stocks are rallying after commentary from Tyson Foods management points to favorable trends in the industry on the demand and cost side.
- Tyson expects "good" cattle supply for this summer and into 2017. The company delivered improved beef and chicken margins in Q1.
- Meat stocks Sanderson Farms (SAFM +2%), Hormel Foods (HRL +3.3%), and Pilgrim's Pride (PPC +4%) are all solidly higher, while on a broader sector view WhiteWave Foods (WWAV +1.8%) and ConAgra Foods (CAG +1.5%) are also rallying.
- Previously: Tyson Foods at all-time high after earnings dazzle (May 9)
- Previously: Tyson Foods to expand presence on Amazon Fresh (May 9)
Tue, Mar. 15, 7:04 AM| Tue, Mar. 15, 7:04 AM | 8 Comments
Thu, Feb. 25, 1:25 PM
- Sanderson Farms (SAFM +3.6%), Tyson Food (TSN +1.8%), and Pilgrim's Pride (PPC +3.8%) are all higher after Sanderson reported earnings ahead of estimates.
- Sanderson's report showed that poultry margins are on the rise as stable pricing and lower feed costs factor in. The sector is also starting to lap quarters impacted by the avian flu and export restrictions.
- Side note: All three meat stocks have outperformed the four FANG stock YTD.
- Previously: Sanderson Farms beats by $0.02, beats on revenue (Feb. 25)
Dec. 3, 2015, 12:45 PM
- Sanderson Farms (NASDAQ:SAFM) is up 8% after catching a two-notch upgrade from CLSA to Outperform.
- Pilgrims Pride (NASDAQ:PPC) stays in an uptrend with a 4.8% swing higher, while global player JBS (OTCQX:JBSAY) is up 5.5%.
- Tyson Foods (NYSE:TSN) is 1.70% higher and reached an all-time best of $51.83 earlier.
- Hormel (NYSE:HRL) also set an all-time high by jumping to $77.00.
- Better-than-expected pricing in the wake of industry consolidation has helped the meat sector this year.
Dec. 3, 2015, 9:10 AM| Dec. 3, 2015, 9:10 AM | 2 Comments
Nov. 23, 2015, 10:15 AM
- Pilgrim's Pride (PPC +4.2%), Sanderson Farms (SAFM +2.9%), and Hormel Foods (HRL +1.5%) rally after Tyson Foods' earnings report shows some bright spots.
- Pricing in Tyson's prepared foods segment was particularly strong with the consolidation of Hillshire Brands and Tyson appearing to be a significant factor in the meat sector.
- Previously: Tyson Foods misses by $0.05, beats on revenue (Nov. 23 2015)
- Previously: Beef brings down Tyson's bottom line in FQ4 (Nov. 23 2015)
Oct. 26, 2015, 2:39 PM
- Tyson Foods TSN is down 4.76% after JPMorgan takes off a bull call on the meat stock with shares at record levels.
- The slide could also be tied to an announcement from the World Health Organization on the cancer risk from processed meat.
- Hormel (HRL -1%), Sanderson Farms (SAFM -0.7%), Pilgrim's Pride (PPC -1.7%), and Seaboard (SEB -0.3%) are also lower on the day.
- Full report from the International Agency for Research on Cancer
- Previously: WHO to reveal red meat cancer risk (Oct. 26 2015)
May 28, 2015, 9:28 AM
- Sanderson Farms (NASDAQ:SAFM) trades lower after Q2 results and FY15 guidance disappointed.
- The company's bottom line is being impacted by lower market prices in different chicken categories.
- An outbreak of the avian flu in the U.S. has caused exports to drop.
- Previously: Sanderson Farms misses by $0.19, misses on revenue
- SAFM -1.9% premarket.
May 5, 2015, 8:09 AM| May 5, 2015, 8:09 AM
Apr. 21, 2015, 8:28 AM
- Poultry stocks are skittish in early trading after a large chicken flock in Iowa is reported to be infected with cases of the avian influenza.
- The virus is believed to be transmitted to farms in the Midwest by ducks and geese traveling along migratory routes.
- On watch: Tyson Foods (NYSE:TSN) -0.8%, Pilgrim's Pride (NASDAQ:PPC) -0.6%, Sanderson Farms (NASDAQ:SAFM) -0.4%, Hormel (NYSE:HRL) -0.9%.
Apr. 6, 2015, 12:05 PM| Apr. 6, 2015, 12:05 PM | 8 Comments
Mar. 25, 2015, 10:09 AM
- There's more food stocks getting a push from speculation stirred up by the Heinz-Kraft merger.
- Lifeway Foods (LWAY +1.3%), Sanderson Farms (SAFM +1.1%), Cal-Maine Foods (CALM +3.9%), Post Holdings (POST +2%), Pilgrim's Pride (PPC +0.7%), J&J Snack Foods (JJSF +0.9%), and Treehouse Foods (THS +1.1%) are all ahead of major indexes.
- The food stock buying spree has been enough to lift the S&P Consumer Staples ETF (NYSEARCA:XLP) +0.8% on a down market day.
- More action with food stocks: 1) Food sector on watch after mega-merger announced, 2) M&A food bets being laid out after Heinz-Kraft merger.
Mar. 13, 2015, 5:40 PM
Mar. 11, 2015, 11:40 AM
- An unconfirmed case of avian bird flu in Arkansas is creating some anxiety in the poultry industry.
- USDA testing is underway on the case.
- Poultry exports to certain nations could be limited if the development worsens.
- The chicken sector has also been hit recently with concerns on the use of certain antibiotics.
- Decliners: Tyson Foods (TSN -5%), Hormel Foods (HRL -1%), Sanderson Farms (SAFM -5.4%), JBS (OTCQX:JBSAY -1.8%), BRF (BRFS -1.7%), and Pilgrim's Pride (PPC -7.2%)
- Previously: Chicken stocks hit by antibiotic concerns
Mar. 11, 2015, 10:00 AM
- Chicken stocks trade weaker on concerns the push to remove certain antibiotics from hatcheries could raise costs or that inaction could crimp demand.
- The issue has been teed up nationally after McDonald's made a strong statement last week with its new sourcing policy.
- Decliners: Tyson Foods (NYSE:TSN) -4.7%, Sanderson Farms (NASDAQ:SAFM) -4.1%, BRF (NYSE:BRFS) -2.4%, Hormel Foods (NYSE:HRL) -0.6%, Pilgrim's Pride (NASDAQ:PPC) -6.6%.
- Previously: McDonald's unveils menu sourcing initiatives (Mar. 04 2015)
Sanderson Farms, Inc. is a poultry processing company that engages in the production, processing, marketing, and distribution of fresh, frozen, further processed, and partially cooked chicken products. It sells ice, chill, and bulk packs, and frozen chicken in whole, cut-up, and boneless form... More
Sector: Consumer Goods
Industry: Meat Products
Country: United States
Other News & PR