Feb. 23, 2015, 5:35 PM
- ACAS, AMRS, ARC, AWAY, AWK, BBRG, BGFV, BNFT, BOOM, CBI, CENX, CLGX, CLR, CPRT, DPM, DWA, DY, DYN, EIX, EPR, EXEL, FLTX, FMI, FSLR, GB, GNMK, HEI, HEP, HLS, HPQ, HURN, HWAY, INFI, JAZZ, KONA, KRA, LC, MATX, MMSI, NDSN, NFX, NKTR, NLY, NSTG, NUVA, NYMT, ORA, PZZA, QEP, RJET, RLYP, RRC, RUBI, SAM, SGY, SLCA, SM, TNDM, TRNX, TXTR, VRSK, VVUS, WBMD, XCO, Y, ZAGG
Feb. 14, 2015, 10:13 AM
- Craft soda is starting to become a trend to watch closely, according to industry insiders.
- Though still accounting for only ~1% of the total U.S. soda market, major retail chains have increasingly been willing to bet on local craft brands in store aisles.
- The craft craze is old news for the beer industry where coming-of-age millennials buy craft/local beers at a 50% higher rate than brand-loyal older generations. Fading stars such as Budweiser and Bud Light are testament to the impact of the millennial paradigm.
- The craft influence in coffee hasn't been lost on Starbucks which has strategically deployed trucks on college campuses in an effort to win over students.
- Despite the progressive reputation of Starbucks, analysts think new upstarts such as Craft (subscription) and Cups (app) have a shot of gaining influence with the Indie-minded millennial crowd on "customization" and pricing.
- What to watch: An increase in M&A activity in the beverage sector is expected as major companies strategically pick off more local craft brands to incubate.
- Craft beer watch: BUD, OTCPK:SBMRY, TAP, OTCQX:HEINY, SAM, BREW, STZ, OTC:BIBLF, OTCPK:BRBMF.
- Craft coffee watch: GMCR, SBUX, JVA, SJM, KRFT, DNKN, QSR, MCD.
- Craft soda watch: PEP, KO, MNST, COT, DPS, OTCQB:JSDA, REED, SODA, FIZZ.
Feb. 4, 2015, 10:25 AM
- Anheuser-Busch InBev (NYSE:BUD) has been under attack this week in the beer industry after airing a Super Bowl commercial poking fun at the craft brew craze.
- Though the attacks from craft brewers were to be expected, MillerCoors (OTCPK:SBMRY, TAP) is also trying to get on the right side of the debate with new advertising saying beers should be "fussed over" - contrary to the A-B spot.
- The co-founder of Elysian Brewing, which was purchased recently by A-B, didn't hold his tongue - calling the beer giant "tone-deaf" with its new angle.
- The marketing team at Anheuser-Busch says it's attempting to define "macro" beer in a positive light.
- In case you missed it, here's the SB commercial that has the beer industry all worked up.
- Related stocks: TAP, BREW, OTCQX:HEINY, SAM.
Jan. 21, 2015, 7:40 PM
- Endo International (NASDAQ:ENDP) +2.9% AH on news it will join the S&P 500 later this month, replacing Covidien (NYSE:COV) after its acquisition by Medtronic (NYSE:MDT), which is expected to close next week.
- Also, Boston Beer (NYSE:SAM) will take ENDP’s spot on the S&P MidCap 400, and Southside Bancshares (NASDAQ:SBSI) is tapped to join the S&P SmallCap 600.
Jan. 16, 2015, 7:12 AM
- Jefferies launches coverage on Boston Beer (NYSE:SAM) with a Buy rating.
- The investment firm sees the beer stock as one of the best growth stories in the sector due its strong position with craft and cider labels.
- A price target of $362 on SAM is set by Jefferies.
- The early read on beer demand in the U.S. has been favorable.
Jan. 6, 2015, 4:16 PM
- GasBuddy.com projects gas prices will average $2.64 per gallon in 2015.
- Most economists see a boost in U.S. retail spending from the gas savings with the exception of regions highly dependent upon the energy industry.
- While some Q4 reports from restaurant chains and retailers may show a marginal lift in sales due to the drop in gas prices, insiders think quantifying the impact will be more art than science.
- The following sub-sectors have been tapped by analysts as potential under-the-radar beneficiaries of the gas price effect.
- C-stores:KR, CASY, PTRY, OTCPK:ANCUF, CST, MUSA.
- Theme parks: SIX, FUN, DIS, CMCSA, PLAY.
- Beverages: KO, PEP, COT, DPS, BUD, SAM, BREW, TAP, MNST.
Dec. 18, 2014, 9:24 AM
Dec. 16, 2014, 10:30 AM
- Retailers and restaurateurs are optimistic that holiday spending on adult beverages will pick up this holiday season due to the improved economic backdrop, according to research firm Technomic.
- Though consumers are likely to stick with many of their built-up cost assessment habits, strong brands could see a sales boost on some splurging.
- Spirits/beer stocks: BUD, DEO, OTCPK:CABGY, TAP, SAM, BF.A, BF.B, STZ, OTCPK:PDRDY, OTCPK:STBFY.
Dec. 11, 2014, 8:08 AM
- Morgan Stanley thinks beer producers could see increased demand in the U.S. due to improved consumer spending trends.
- Lower gas prices and rising employment provide the right backdrop for an increase in beer purchasing, according to MS.
- On the global front, Euromonitor forecasts global beer sales will rise 2.6% to $740B by 2018 - compared to the sluggish 1.3% average growth pace seen in the industry since 2004.
- Beer stocks: BUD, OTCPK:SBMRY, TAP, OTCQX:HEINY, SAM, BREW, STZ.
Oct. 30, 2014, 4:22 PM
- Boston Beer (NYSE:SAM): Q3 EPS of $2.79 beats by $0.47.
- Revenue of $269.73M (+24.6% Y/Y) beats by $11.16M.
Oct. 11, 2014, 11:31 AM
- The legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington hasn't had a negative impact on demand for beer as some analysts warned, notes Sanford Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling.
- Data from the investment firm found that beer drinking on a per-capita basis increased by 50 bps in the ten states where medicinal marijuana is legal.
- The finding starkly contradicts an earlier study by academics which highlighted a crowding-out impact on the beer budget of consumers living where marijuana is legal.
- Stirling thinks the beer vs marijuana decision for consumers isn't an either/or proposition.
- Beer stocks: BUD, OTCPK:SBMRY, TAP, OTCQX:HEINY, SAM, BREW, STZ.
Sep. 16, 2014, 1:57 PM
- Cowen Research initiates Boston Beer (SAM +3.3%) with a rosy Outperform rating and $250 price target.
- The investment firm thinks the brewer has done a solid job of keeping its brands vibrant.
- Expecting a Boston Beer takeover? Insko Capital Management's Tim Insko rains on that parade with a dig into the company's SEC filings.
Sep. 14, 2014, 10:30 AM
- SABMiller (OTCPK:SBMRF) has been approached Heineken (OTCQX:HEINY) about a merger only to be rebuffed by the controlling Heinken family, reports Bloomberg.
- Another mega-merger within the beer industry has been widely anticipated by analysts in order to line up regional strengths and weaknesses.
- Related stocks: Anheuser-Busch InBev (NYSE:BUD), Diageo (NYSE:DEO), Carlsberg (OTCPK:CABGY), Molson Coors (NYSE:TAP), Boston Beer (NYSE:SAM).
Jul. 30, 2014, 4:24 PM
- Boston Beer (NYSE:SAM): Q2 EPS of $1.88 beats by $0.09.
- Revenue of $231.61M (+27.7% Y/Y) beats by $6.91M.
Jun. 12, 2014, 8:06 AM
Apr. 30, 2014, 4:38 PM
- Boston Beer Co (SAM): Q1 EPS of $0.62 misses by $0.06.
- Revenue of $183.8M beats by $4.66M.
Boston Beer Co., Inc. engages in the business of producing and selling alcoholic beverages. It produces malt beverages and hard cider products at company owned breweries and under contract arrangements at other brewery locations. The company operates through two segments: Boston Beer Company and... More
Sector: Consumer Goods
Industry: Beverages - Brewers
Country: United States