Dec. 11, 2015, 11:27 AM
- Shoe Carnival (SCVL +6.4%) is higher after Standpoint Research upgrades the retailer to a Buy rating after having the stock set at Hold.
- Shares trade near the mid-point of its 52-week range of $17.36 to $30.00. The forward price-to-earnings ratio on SCVL stands at 14.07, while the price-to-sales ratio of 0.48 ranks as one of the lowest in the apparel store sector.
Nov. 30, 2015, 4:03 PM
Nov. 20, 2015, 11:47 AM
- The S&P Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 1.9% with apparel and footwear stocks doing much of the heavy lifting.
- A vibrant rally in sports stocks was sparked by earnings reports and Nike. Iconix Brand (ICON +2.5%), G-III Apparel (GIII +3%), DSW (DSW +3.7%), Finish Line (FINL +3.1%), Caleres (CAL +2.2%), Genesco (GCO +3.5%), and Shoe Carnival (SCVL +1.7%) join the list reported on earlier.
- Luxury names are on the move with Kate Spade (KATE +2%), Fossil (FOSL +2.9%), Coach (COH +1.4%), and Movado (MOV +2.7%) higher.
- The beat-up mall retailer group is also recovering after results from Gap (GPS +6%) and Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF +19.4%) topped worst-case scenarios. American Eagle Outfitters (AEO +2.3%), Guess (GES +4.6%), and Pacific Sunwear (PSUN +5.4%) are notable gainers.
- Big box retailers are the laggards today. Wal-Mart, Target (TGT +0.6%), and Costco (COST +0.6%) are right at market index averages.
Nov. 6, 2015, 11:16 AM
- Apparel store stocks are weaker on more reports of higher wage levels and a string of earnings duds in the sector.
- Men's Wearhouse (NYSE:MW) is the headliner with a 44% slide after reporting weak sales, although 22 out of 24 apparel store stocks with a market cap of over $300M are bleeding today.
- Margins are a big concern in the sector as sales deleverage plays in and a higher mix of e-commerce chips away.
- Other notable declines include Stein Mart (SMRT -5.4%), Ascena Retail (ASNA -5.5%), The Children's Place (PLCE -4.8%), Shoe Carnival (SCVL -2.2%), Buckle (BKE -2.1%), Francesca's (FRAN -1.9%).
May 21, 2015, 12:38 PM
- Shoe Carnival (SCVL -1.5%) says it was hit by over 400 days cumulative of stores closures due to weather during Q1.
- Comparable-store sales were up 3.0% during the quarter.
- Gross margin rate was flat at 29.5% and the merchandise margin was up 10 bps.
- SG&A expense rate -20 bps to 22.8%.
- The company raised the low end of 2015 EPS guidance to $1.42-$1.48 vs. $1.40-$1.48 prior and $1.47 consensus.
- Shares of Shoe Carnival were on the rise in the weeks before the earnings report.
Mar. 18, 2015, 5:43 PM
Mar. 18, 2015, 4:10 PM
- Shoe Carnival (NASDAQ:SCVL): Q4 EPS of $0.15 beats by $0.06.
- Revenue of $227.63M (+13.6% Y/Y) beats by $7.43M.
- Shares +7.31%.
Mar. 17, 2015, 11:31 AM
- Shoe stocks are higher after DSW impresses with its quarterly report and Foot Locker is tapped for more gains.
- The sector has outperformed broad retail this year buoyed by strong demand for athletic shoes.
- Previously: DSW +7% after impressive comp (Mar. 17 2015)
- Previously: Foot Locker investment seen as a safer Nike bet (Mar. 17 2015)
- Gainers: DSW +4.1%, Brown Shoe (NYSE:BWS) +3.1%, Steven Madden (NASDAQ:SHOO) +1.9%, Finish Line (NASDAQ:FINL) +1.1%, Foot Locker (NYSE:FL) +1.1%, Shoe Carnival (NASDAQ:SCVL) +1.1%.
Dec. 2, 2014, 12:47 PM
Dec. 2, 2014, 11:36 AM
Dec. 1, 2014, 5:40 PM
Sep. 4, 2014, 12:47 PM
Sep. 3, 2014, 5:35 PM
May 23, 2014, 12:45 PM
Dec. 2, 2013, 4:11 PM
- Shoe Carnival (SCVL): FQ3 EPS of $0.54 beats by $0.01.
- Revenue of $235.77M misses by $3.72M. Shares +1.6% AH. (PR)
Jul. 23, 2013, 2:34 PM
Shoe Carnival (SCVL +1.1%) is "a compelling growth story in the small cap space," Sterne Agee says, reiterating a Buy rating and raising the price target on the shares to $30 from $26. Analyst Sam Poser — who "wouldn't be surprised" if Q2 comps come in ahead of the firm's +4% forecast — thinks the company's penetration into the women's non-athletic segment "should increase sales and margins." Also in the bull camp is SA contributor Marshall Hargrave, who says the "market is finally waking up to SCVL's growth potential."| Jul. 23, 2013, 2:34 PM