Seaboard Corp. Set To Benefit From Lower Corn Prices
Alpha Gen Capital • 10 Comments
Alpha Gen Capital • 10 Comments
Seaboard Corporation Stands To Gain From Smithfield Acquisition
Fri, May 6, 4:37 PM
Thu, Feb. 25, 6:20 PM
Nov. 6, 2015, 5:41 PM
- Seaboard (NYSEMKT:SEB): Q3 EPS of $2.59
- Revenue of $1.41B (-13.0% Y/Y)
Oct. 26, 2015, 2:39 PM
- Tyson Foods TSN is down 4.76% after JPMorgan takes off a bull call on the meat stock with shares at record levels.
- The slide could also be tied to an announcement from the World Health Organization on the cancer risk from processed meat.
- Hormel (HRL -1%), Sanderson Farms (SAFM -0.7%), Pilgrim's Pride (PPC -1.7%), and Seaboard (SEB -0.3%) are also lower on the day.
- Full report from the International Agency for Research on Cancer
- Previously: WHO to reveal red meat cancer risk (Oct. 26 2015)
Aug. 12, 2015, 12:47 PM
- Corn prices have swung sharply lower after the USDA raised a forecast for corn production off of improved yields.
- The corn crop is seen coming in at 13.686B bushels vs. 13.53B prior forecast and 13.332B consensus estimate.
- Food sellers could see some back-half cost and feed relief if the trend holds.
- Related stocks: GIS, K, POST, KO, PEP, PPC, CPB, TSN, SEB, SJM.
- Related ETF: CORN
- USDA Crop Production report.
Aug. 11, 2015, 4:56 PM
- Seaboard (NYSEMKT:SEB): Q2 EPS of $27.04
- Revenue of $1.42M (-16.0% Y/Y)
May 8, 2015, 5:19 PM
- Seaboard Corporation (NYSEMKT:SEB): Q1 EPS of $28.49 vs. $40.55 in 1Q14
- Revenue of $1.45B (-2.0% Y/Y)
Feb. 26, 2015, 6:02 PM
- Seaboard Corporation (NYSEMKT:SEB): Q4 EPS of $101.39
- Revenue of $1.68M (-4.5% Y/Y)
Dec. 17, 2014, 12:27 PM
- While travel to Cuba strictly for tourism purposes remains prohibited for now, the U.S. is now allowing visits for a long list of other reasons, including family visits, journalistic activity, professional research, and educational and recreational activities.
- Also as part of the deal, American travelers will be allowed to import $400 worth of Cuban goods, including up to $100 of tobacco products. The products will not be allowed to be resold.
- This two-year-old profile of Thomas Herzfeld and his Caribbean Basin Fund (CUBA +35.8%) will be of interest. At the time of the article the fund held stakes in a number of companies who would likely see brisk additional business from an opening to Cuba, along with a number of securities - currently valued at zero thanks to the Castro's confiscations - which could rise from the ashes.
- One sector of interest is cruise ship operators: Royal Caribbean (RCL +3.4%), Carnival (CCL +2.7%), Norwegian Cruise (NCLH +1.6%).
- Other holdings of CUBA at the time of the article: Seaboard (SEB +0.7%) and Watsco (WSO +0.6%).
- Previously: U.S. and Cuba move to normalize diplomatic relations (Dec. 17, 2014)
Sep. 29, 2014, 8:02 AM
- Seaboard (NYSEMKT:SEB) sells off a 50% stake in its Daily's Premium Meats business to Triumph Foods for $72.5M
- The company estimates it will earn a pretax gain of approximately $55M from the transaction.
Sep. 24, 2014, 11:01 AM
- Food stocks are topping market averages as investors shift to a more defensive stance.
- The sector is also getting a look with grain, corn, meat, and rice prices moderating on improved global supplies.
- On the move: Post Holdings (NYSE:POST) +2.0%, Dean Foods (NYSE:DF) +1.0%, Sanderson Farms (NASDAQ:SAFM) +1.7%, Diamond Foods (NASDAQ:DMND) +1.5%, Flower Foods (NYSE:FLO) +1.3%, Hain Celestial (NASDAQ:HAIN) +1.6%, General Mills (NYSE:GIS) +0.7%, ConAgra (NYSE:CAG) +1.1%, Kraft Foods (NASDAQ:KRFT) +1.0%, Tyson Foods (NYSE:TSN) +1.5%, Seaboard (NYSEMKT:SEB) +2.7%.
Jun. 12, 2014, 8:39 AM
- Global consumption of meat will increase 1.9% a year over the next decade as demand for protein in nations such as China, Mexico, and Brazil supports the market.
- The UN's Food and Agriculture Organization forecasts that by 2030 the average person will eat close to 99 pounds of meat per year, compared to 86 pounds in 2007.
- The steady rise in protein demand has underpinned a wave of merger activity in the food sector including Tyson Foods' takeover of Hillshire Brands and Shuanghui International's acquisition of Smithfield Foods.
- Related stocks: TSN, HRL, SAFM, SEB, HSH, PPC
May 28, 2014, 7:30 AM
- An outbreak of a deadly pig virus at a farm in Indiana has rekindled fears the disease will reduce the U.S. hog population.
- The incident was a secondary outbreak which raises concerns that affected pigs aren't developing full immunity to the virus.
- Hog futures are up 26% since the PEDV first hit last summer.
- Related stocks: TSN, HRL, HSH, SEB, PPC
- Related ETFs: UBC, COW, LSTK.
Feb. 6, 2014, 9:33 AM| Feb. 6, 2014, 9:33 AM | 1 Comment
Nov. 21, 2013, 10:12 AM
- New meat labeling rules in the U.S. that start on Saturday aim to help consumers understand exactly where their products have originated from in the wake of meat contamination issues.
- The new labels will include a biography of sorts on the animals consumers are eating - with detailed information on where livestock was born, raised, and slaughtered.
- The USDA estimates that compliance will cost the meat industry between $53.1M and $192.1M, although the development could be an advantage to U.S. producers.
- Related stocks: Tyson Foods (TSN), Hormel Foods (HRL), Sanderson Farms (SAFM), Seaboard Corporation (SEB), Hillshire Brands (HSH).
Nov. 20, 2013, 3:36 PM
- Butterball says it will only be shipping about half as many never-frozen large turkeys this year due to supply issues linked to skinnier-than-normal birds on farms.
- The Seaboard (SEB +0.6%) brand says it will be able to meet demand for frozen turkeys.
- Reports indicate some grocery store chains are using new sources to make up for the slack in Butterball fresh turkeys.
Seaboard Corp. is a diversified international agribusiness and transportation company. The company through its subsidiaries is engaged in pork production and processing, and ocean transportation business in the United States; commodity merchandising, grain processing, sugar production and... More
Sector: Consumer Goods
Industry: Meat Products
Country: United States
Other News & PR