Alpha Gen Capital • 10 Comments
Oct. 26, 2015, 2:39 PM
- Tyson Foods TSN is down 4.76% after JPMorgan takes off a bull call on the meat stock with shares at record levels.
- The slide could also be tied to an announcement from the World Health Organization on the cancer risk from processed meat.
- Hormel (HRL -1%), Sanderson Farms (SAFM -0.7%), Pilgrim's Pride (PPC -1.7%), and Seaboard (SEB -0.3%) are also lower on the day.
- Full report from the International Agency for Research on Cancer
- Previously: WHO to reveal red meat cancer risk (Oct. 26 2015)
Dec. 17, 2014, 12:27 PM
- While travel to Cuba strictly for tourism purposes remains prohibited for now, the U.S. is now allowing visits for a long list of other reasons, including family visits, journalistic activity, professional research, and educational and recreational activities.
- Also as part of the deal, American travelers will be allowed to import $400 worth of Cuban goods, including up to $100 of tobacco products. The products will not be allowed to be resold.
- This two-year-old profile of Thomas Herzfeld and his Caribbean Basin Fund (CUBA +35.8%) will be of interest. At the time of the article the fund held stakes in a number of companies who would likely see brisk additional business from an opening to Cuba, along with a number of securities - currently valued at zero thanks to the Castro's confiscations - which could rise from the ashes.
- One sector of interest is cruise ship operators: Royal Caribbean (RCL +3.4%), Carnival (CCL +2.7%), Norwegian Cruise (NCLH +1.6%).
- Other holdings of CUBA at the time of the article: Seaboard (SEB +0.7%) and Watsco (WSO +0.6%).
- Previously: U.S. and Cuba move to normalize diplomatic relations (Dec. 17, 2014)
Sep. 24, 2014, 11:01 AM
- Food stocks are topping market averages as investors shift to a more defensive stance.
- The sector is also getting a look with grain, corn, meat, and rice prices moderating on improved global supplies.
- On the move: Post Holdings (NYSE:POST) +2.0%, Dean Foods (NYSE:DF) +1.0%, Sanderson Farms (NASDAQ:SAFM) +1.7%, Diamond Foods (NASDAQ:DMND) +1.5%, Flower Foods (NYSE:FLO) +1.3%, Hain Celestial (NASDAQ:HAIN) +1.6%, General Mills (NYSE:GIS) +0.7%, ConAgra (NYSE:CAG) +1.1%, Kraft Foods (NASDAQ:KRFT) +1.0%, Tyson Foods (NYSE:TSN) +1.5%, Seaboard (NYSEMKT:SEB) +2.7%.
Jun. 18, 2013, 8:24 AM
Jun. 17, 2013, 8:49 AM
Smithfield Foods (SFD) moves up 1.4% premarket after Starboard Value pitches that a piecemeal sale of the company might make sense. The sum-of-the-parts chatter could also provide another lift for the packaged meats sector as a whole. On watch: Tyson Foods (TSN), Seaboard Corporation (SEB), Hillshire Brands (HSH), and Hormel Foods (HRL).| Jun. 17, 2013, 8:49 AM