Fri, Aug. 7, 9:02 AM
- Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ:SFM) announces CEO Doug Sanders will move on to become the Chairman of the Board.
- The company names CFO Amin Maredia to step up to the CEO job.
- Shares are lower in early trading after the company lowers FY15 EPS guidance to $0.80-$0.82 vs. $0.84-$0.87 prior and $0.85 consensus.
- Previously: Sprouts Farmers Market EPS in-line, beats on revenue
- SFM -9.87% premarket to $21.18.
Thu, Aug. 6, 5:36 PM
Thu, Aug. 6, 4:11 PM
Thu, May 21, 5:41 PM
Thu, May 14, 9:47 PM
- Consolidation in the grocery industry could pick up even more, observes Supermarket News.
- A large merger between Albertsons and Safeway (NYSE:SWY) has been followed by talks between Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) and Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY).
- The increased push by Wal-Mart and Target in the sector has added pressure to leverage store growth through M&A.
- "There is mounting pressure in the supermarket industry to consolidate operations to drive better purchasing power and leverage distribution and technology platforms," notes Wolfe Research.
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) is seen as a likely candidate to look for a chain to acquire.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize confirm merger talks (May 12)
- Grocery stocks: RNDY, SVU, VLGEA, WFM, CASY, IMKTA, OTCPK:PUSH, TFM, SFM, WMK.
Mon, May 11, 6:48 AM
- BMO Capital upgrades Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ:SFM) on a valuation call following last week's post-earnings plunge.
- "Our revised target price of $34 is based on 32x our 2016E EPS which now suggests ~25% upside," reads the note from the investmetn firm.
- Analyst Kelly Bania notes Sprouts now trades at the low end of the high-growth food retailer group.
- Previously: Sprouts Farmers Market misses by $0.01, misses on revenue (May. 07 2015)
- Previously: Sprouts Farmers Market -9% postmarket on downside guidance (May. 07 2015)
Fri, May 8, 9:16 AM| 4 Comments
Thu, May 7, 8:10 PM
- Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ:SFM) has tumbled after hours, down 9% on volume of more than 300K late-trade shares, after Q1 results where it missed EPS and revenue expectations and issued downside guidance for the full year.
- Sprouts guided to net sales growth of 20%-22% this year with 27 new stores, and comparable-store growth of 6%-7%. It expects EPS of $0.84-$0.87, noting that it's a 53-week year and the extra week should add about $0.02 of EPS (vs. a consensus of $0.88).
- The projected revenue growth would put it to the downside of consensus of $3.62B sales this year.
- Earlier, Whole Foods Market announced it would launch a new value brand that could make a competitive difference.
- Press Release
Thu, May 7, 4:10 PM
Thu, May 7, 9:45 AM
- A plan by Whole Foods Market (WFM -10.6%) to launch a new store brand concept was a major topic of the company's Q1 earnings call.
- A "fairly rapid" expansion of the new chain is expected to start next year with Whole Foods already in the process of negotiating leases for space.
- Though still rather loosely defined, the concept is being aimed at millennials with value prices and modern products.
- "We can broaden the accessibility of fresh healthy foods and we will continue to be leaders in that sense," said co-CEO John Mackey.
- The company plans to leverage existing distribution channels and partners for the new model.
- Sprouts Farmers Markets (NASDAQ:SFM) and The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) are two companies that could be affected if the roll-out is successful.
- Earnings call transcript
Tue, Apr. 28, 6:52 AM
Wed, Apr. 15, 5:35 PM
Wed, Apr. 15, 11:34 AM
- Organic food sales rose 11% to $35.9B in 2014, according to the Organic Trade Association.
- The revenue tally for organic food accounted for 5% of all food sales in the U.S.
- Data from the trade group indicated 90% of households on the West Coast and in New England actively buy organic food.
- The strong growth rate for organic food is part of the rationale behind Target's major food initiative.
- Organic food sellers/producers: THS, SFM, FWM, TFM, WFM, HAIN, WWAV, OTCPK:GPDB, LWAY, UNFI, GIS through Annie's.
Tue, Mar. 31, 8:41 AM
- Morgan Stanley adds Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ:SFM) to its Best Ideas List.
- Shares of Sprouts peeled off about 9% of their price since the company reported Q4 earnings to give MS its new entry point.
- New strategic initiatives at the specialty grocery store chain are seen as boosting earnings growth.
Tue, Mar. 24, 9:35 AM
- Fresh & Easy is closing stores in advance of launching a fresh-food convenience store chain.
- 30 stores in California by F&E will be shuttered as part of the initiative.
- Though details on the new C-store venture are scant, Apple store designer ADMI is reportedly working on the project.
- Fresh & Easy is owned by P-E firm Yucaipa which bought the chain from Tesco after it bled money under the direction of the British retail giant.
- Fresh & Easy has rebranded some stores in the U.S. under the Wild Oats banner and has been mentioned as an IPO candidate.
- The success of the new C-store fresh food chain will be closely watched by a large number of retail and grocery companies which could partner, mimic, or ignore the concept.
- Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ:SFM), Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM), Kroger (NYSE:KR), The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM), Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (NYSE:NGVC), and Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) all have some skin in the game.
- There's also Target (NYSE:TGT), Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), and Costco (NASDAQ:COST) which are stressing both "fresh" and "easy" with their grocery strategy.
- AmazonFresh (NASDAQ:AMZN) and Instacart are also looking to captivate fresh food buyers with their models.
Mon, Mar. 16, 4:20 AM
- Looking to contain a virulent strain of avian flu, U.S. authorities are weighing tougher restrictions in Arkansas in a bid to minimize international trade disruptions and contain the virus in the heart of America's poultry region.
- The H5N2 flu discovered last week is the state's first case of a strain that causes massive internal hemorrhaging in poultry, can kill nearly every bird in an infected flock within 48 hours, and is prone to mutate.
- Previously: Avian bird flu in U.S. seen impacting chicken prices (Mar. 15 2015)
- Related tickers: TSN, SFM, BRFS, PPC, HRL, OTCQX:JBSAY, BWLD, PLKI
SFM vs. ETF Alternatives
Sprouts Farmers Market Inc through its subsidiaries operates as a specialty retailer of natural & organic food. It offers products including fresh produce, bulk foods, vitamins & supplements, meat & seafood, bakery, & body care & natural household items.
Other News & PR