Six Flags Continues To Execute, But The Moat Isn't Worth This Much
Six Flags Flying High, But The Price Of Admission Is Steep
Six Flags: Where The Wind Is At Your Back, Not In Your Face
Wed, Apr. 27, 10:51 AM
- Six Flags (SIX +4.9%) raced to an all-time high of $62.69 after posting a smaller loss during the tough Q1 period when the company's theme parks are in winter mode.
- Though an early Easter pulled some revenue forward from Q2, many key metrics on guest spending looked strong.
- The active base of Six Flags customers is up 24% from a year ago.
- Shares of Six Flags are now up 12% YTD.
- Previously: Six Flags beats by $0.15, beats on revenue (April 27)
- Previously: Six Flags narrows Q1 loss (April 27)
Thu, Feb. 18, 8:49 AM
- Six Flags (NYSE:SIX) reports revenue rose 22% on a constant currency basis in Q4.
- Revenue break-up: Theme park admissions: $114.52M (+19.8%); Theme park food, merchandise and other: $82.53M (+17%); Sponsorship, licensing and other fees: $17.57M (+18.6%); Accommodations revenue: $2.84M (+2.6%).
- The company's Active Pass Base increased 26% Y/Y.
- Attendance grew 22% to 5.2M guests for the quarter
- Total guest spending per capita fell 3% to $37.87 per visitor.
- SIX +0.84% premarket.
Nov. 24, 2015, 1:49 PM
- A global travel warning issued by the U.S. Department is impacting several sectors. Hotel stocks are notably weaker, while amusement park stocks are also trailing broad market averages. Airlines are feeling a double whammy from travel demand concerns and a 3% rise in crude oil futures.
- In some cases the sell-off appears to be an overreaction with little evidence in that travel habits will change dramatically, according to some analysts.
- Decliners include Hyatt Hotels (H -1.5%), Hilton Worldwide (HLT -1.1%), Marriott International (MAR -1.8%), JetBlue (JBLU -1.7%), Delta Air Lines (DAL -3.3%), American Airlines Group (AAL -2.4%), United Continental (UAL -3.2%), Allegiant Travel (ALGT -5.3%), Spirit Airlines (SAVE -4.1%), Southwest Airlines (LUV -2.7%), Six Flags (SIX -1.0%), Cedar Fair (FUN -1.0%), Disney (DIS -0.9%), and Sabre (SABR -3.9%), Virgin Amerinca (VA -2.5%), Alaska Air Group (ALK -1.5%).
- Previously: PCLN, EXPE, TRIP sell off after State Department issues travel warning (Nov. 24)
Jul. 22, 2015, 8:43 AM
- Six Flags (NYSE:SIX) reports guests who have purchased a season pass increased 32% Y/Y in Q2
- Attendance grew 9% to 8.9M guests for the quarter
- Total guest spending per capita fell 5% to $41.55 per visitor.
- Admissions per capita decreased 7% to $23.35.
- In-park spending per capita -2% to $18.20.
Apr. 27, 2015, 9:34 AM
- Goldman Sachs adjusts its rating on SeaWorld Entertainment (SEAS +4.9%) to Buy from Neutral and boosts its price target to $26 from $18.
- Trends at the beat-up theme park are finally turning around, tips GS.
- The investment firm also increased its price target on Buy-rated Cedar Fair (FUN +0.1%) to $65 from $59.
- Six Flags (SIX -1.6%) is taken down to Neutral from Buy on a valuation call following the stock's +18% YTD run.
Mar. 12, 2015, 11:35 AM
- Cedar Fair (FUN +1.9%) and Six Flags (SIX +1.6%) are higher as Disney's annual meeting puts a spotlight back on theme park pricing.
- Analysts see some room for the operators to boost prices on their end or become less promotional with Disney taking an aggressive stance.
- Shares of SeaWorld Entertainment (SEAS -0.1%) are sitting out the theme park rally.
Feb. 23, 2015, 1:24 PM
- Shares of Six Flags (SIX +1.9%), SeaWorld Entertainment (SEAS +1.1%), and Cedar Fair (FUN +2%) rally after Disney announces a price hike at its parks.
- Industry analysts think the companies will slide in with their own rate increases.
- Previously: Disney raises park ticket prices; Magic Kingdom now $105/day
Feb. 18, 2015, 5:38 PM
Feb. 18, 2015, 5:30 PM
- Six Flags (NYSE:SIX): Q4 EPS of -$0.07 may not be comparable to consensus of -$0.13.
- Revenue of $183.68M (+19.1% Y/Y) beats by $19.11M.
- Shares +3.65% AH.
Oct. 22, 2014, 9:38 AM
- Shares of Six Flags (SIX +9.9%) ride higher as the company successfully increases revenue on flat year-over-year attendance trends.
- Expansion is also tapped as a new contributor to top-line growth. During the firm's earnings call, the progress on new parks in China and the Middle East was highlighted.
- Execs call the international business a "significant" long term growth opportunity for Six Flags.
- Earnings call transcript
Oct. 22, 2014, 9:19 AM| Oct. 22, 2014, 9:19 AM | 1 Comment
Oct. 21, 2014, 5:38 PM
Oct. 21, 2014, 4:39 PM
- Six Flags (NYSE:SIX) reports theme park attendance was up slightly in Q3 at 11.8M guests.
- Total guest spending per capita +6.0% to $43.79.
- Theme park admissions revenue +8.4% to $305.82M.
- The company hiked its quarterly dividend payout rate to $0.52 per share.
- SIX +9.6% AH.
Oct. 21, 2014, 4:33 PM
- Six Flags (NYSE:SIX): Q3 EPS of $1.56 beats by $0.06.
- Revenue of $542M (+7.4% Y/Y) beats by $6.02M.
- Shares +8%.
Oct. 1, 2014, 9:55 AM
- Theme park stocks slide lower than market averages after a single case of Ebola in Dallas creates a talking point.
- Plenty of traders think the dip is providing a good entry point for names in the group off what they consider undue anxiety.
- Decliners: Disney (NYSE:DIS) -1.1%, Cedar Fair (NYSE:FUN) -0.6%, Six Flags (NYSE:SIX) -0.8%, SeaWorld (NYSE:SEAS) -1.1%.
Jul. 21, 2014, 3:49 PM
- Six Flags (SIX -3.9%) shares recover some of their earlier near-10% loss after CEO Jim Reid-Anderson reiterates in SIX's earnings conference call that the harsh winter weather meant a later start to summer for much of the U.S., stretching into the amusement park company’s Q2 results through elongated school calendars and shorter holiday breaks, cutting attendance and sales.
- SIX also raised admission prices this spring, which helped offset an 8% drop in attendance by enticing customers to spend more money, but the CEO insisted that it wasn't the higher prices that hurt results: “It’s primarily due to the school calendar and these weather issues, not pricing. I mean, there may be a little [pricing] element, but it’s small.”
- In support of its weather assertion, SIX notes that active pass membership grew 9%, providing recurring monthly revenue to smooth out seasonality as well as reassurance that demand for the product is strong.
Six Flags Entertainment Corp. engages in the business of operating regional theme parks. The company's parks operate under the brand name of Six Flags, which offers state-of-the-art and traditional thrill rides, water attractions, themed areas, concerts and shows, restaurants, game venues and... More
Industry: General Entertainment
Country: United States
Other News & PR