Oct. 9, 2014, 3:58 PM
- The price of gold may be rising, but gold mining stocks are getting hammered today; after all, "they are still stocks," Barron's Johanna Bennett writes.
- Gold prices rallied today to $1,234/oz., their highest level since Sept. 23, a day after the dovish minutes from the Fed’s September policy meeting excited gold bugs, but shares of the mining companies are falling along with the broader market selloff.
- Among the top mining names: IAG -6.9%, KGC -6.2%, SLW -5.9%, NGD -5.5%, AU -4.9%, GG -4.7%, ABX -3.9%, AUY -3.9%, GFI -2.8%, BTG -2.7%, RGLD -2.6%, AGI -2.1%, GOLD -1.8%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, GDXJ, NUGT, AGQ, IAU, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, JNUG, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, GLDX, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, JDST, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, SLVP, DGL, DBS, SILJ, DGZ, RING, OUNZ, GGGG, DGLD, AGOL, SGDM, PSAU
Oct. 8, 2014, 6:20 PM
- No investment sector benefited more today from the dovish take on the FOMC meeting minutes than precious metals miners, as the Fed's worries over weakening world economies and a strong U.S. dollar offer hope for gold bulls that the Fed will not rush to raise interest rates.
- Gold mining ETFs surged past those linked to the commodity price, with GDX +7.4% and GDXJ +9.6% while GLD +1%; among leveraged ETFs, NUGT +21.5%.
- Among major miners: BTG +14.4%, AGI +13.6%, GG +8.6%, RGLD +8.6%, SLW +8%, NGD +7.6%, IAG +7.5%, GFI +7%, AUY +6.9%, ABX +5.2%, AU +4.8%, KGC +3.5%.
- Other ETFs: SLV, AGQ, IAU, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, JNUG, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, GLDX, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, JDST, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, SLVP, DGL, DBS, GLTR, SILJ, DGZ, RING, OUNZ, GGGG, DGLD, AGOL, DBP, SGDM, WITE, PSAU
Oct. 6, 2014, 2:45 PM
- Gold prices bounce off 15-month lows to reclaim $1,200/oz. as the dollar rally pauses, helping strengthen shares of precious metals miners: AU +4.4%, GFI +3%, IAG +1.9%, BTG +3%, GG +2.2%, NGD +1.5%, KGC +1.6%, AGI +1.6%, RGLD +1%, SLW +2.1%.
- Sterne Agee analysts Michael Dudas and Satyadeep Jain foresee gold and silver prices trending higher, with gold averaging $1,400/oz. in 2015 and $1,450 in 2016 and silver averaging $19 next year and $21 in 2016, as “global demand remains firm, liquidity remains ample and the dollar appears overbought.”
- With investor sentiment still skeptical, Sterne thinks any supportive macro news flow could provide fuel for a rally; the firm rate Newmont Mining (NEM +1.5%), Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM +2.4%), Coeur Mining (CDE +1.3%) and Gold Resource (GORO +0.2%) as Buys, with Barrick Gold (ABX +0.5%), Hecla Mining (HL +4.3%) and Pan American Silver (PAAS +1.5%) rated Neutral.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, DGL, DBS, DGZ, OUNZ, DGLD, AGOL, DBP, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, GLDE, BAR, GYEN, GEUR, RGRP, BARS, GGBP, BLNG
Aug. 14, 2014, 3:45 PM
- Silver Wheaton's (SLW -5.7%) Q2 results were disappointing, but analysts seem to think the silver streamer will enjoy better days ahead.
- Below consensus earnings was simply due to the timing of sales, BMO analyst Andrew Kaip says, noting SLW had 6.3M oz. of attributable silver production and just 5.2M oz. of sales; production has outpaced sales by ~5.7M oz. over the past six quarters.
- TD's Dan Earle foresees a bright future for SLW, expecting the company will generate a “staggering” $692M of free cash flow in 2016 with HudBay's new Constancia mine, which should reach production late this year, a key contributor; SLW owns a silver stream on the mine.
- Both analysts have price targets on the stock of $32/share, ~20% above the current level.
Aug. 14, 2014, 2:16 PM
- Silver Wheaton (SLW -5.3%) and Pan American Silver (PAAS -5.3%) are both sharply lower as low silver prices combined with still-high costs combine to weigh on Q2 results.
- SLW said its silver equiv. realized price fell from $23.05/oz. a year ago to $19.83 in this year's Q2; gold sales accounted for ~30% of sales, and SLW’s realized gold price of $1,295/oz. was included in a 14% drop in the silver equiv. price.
- In Q2 results for PAAS, the average realized price for silver was $19.58/oz., down from $22.68 in the year-ago quarter; gold, which accounts for ~25% of sales, also suffered, fetching $1,289/oz.vs. $1,423 a year ago.
- ETFs: AGQ, USLV, ZSL, DSLV, DBS, USV
Aug. 13, 2014, 5:49 PM
- Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) -1.7% AH after Q2 earnings miss expectations, and revenues tumble 11% Y/Y and finish shy of analyst consensus.
- Q2 attributable silver equiv. production totaled 8.4M oz. (6.3M oz. of silver, 31.4K oz. of gold), down 4% from the year-ago quarter.
- Payable silver equiv. oz. produced but not yet delivered to SLW by its partners fell slightly to ~6.3M oz. at June 30.
- Average realized sale price per silver equiv. oz. sold in Q2 was $19.83 ($19.81/oz. of silver, $1,295/oz.of gold), down 14% Y/Y.
- Operating cash flows of $102.5M fell 18% Y/Y; operating margin was $15.11/ silver equiv. oz. from $18.28 in Q2 2013.
- Q2 average cash costs were $4.15 and $393 per oz. of silver and gold, respectively; on a silver equivalent basis, average cash costs fell to $4.72 vs. $4.77 in the year-ago quarter.
Aug. 13, 2014, 5:42 PM
- Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) declares $0.06/share quarterly dividend, 14.3% decrease from prior dividend of $0.07.
- Forward yield 0.88%
- Payable Sept. 5; for shareholders of record Aug. 27; ex-div Aug. 25.
Aug. 13, 2014, 5:10 PM
- Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW): Q2 EPS of $0.18 misses by $0.02.
- Revenue of $148.6M (-11.0% Y/Y) misses by $20.9M.
Aug. 12, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jul. 14, 2014, 11:29 AM
- Precious metals miners are broadly lower as gold futures head for their biggest daily drop of 2014, plunging $29.30, or 2.2%, to $1,308.10/oz.
- Physical demand has remained short of expectations, Commerzbank's Eugen Weinberg says, and India's decision to maintain a 10% import duty on gold and silver likely will dampen future gold demand expectations from the country.
- Barclays, which expects gold to drop to $1,200/oz. by Q3, also expresses caution, saying recent gains across the metals complex look toppy.
- ABX -1.2%, NEM -1.7%, GG -2.4%, KGC -1.8%, AEM -1.4%, AUY -1.4%, EGO -3%, NGD -2.8%, FNV -2.4%, AGI -2.6%, AU -2.2%, IAG -1.9%, GFI -3.4%, BTG -2.1%, NG -0.7%, SLW -2.1%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, GDX, NUGT, AGQ, IAU, DUST, SIL, USLV, SIVR, SGOL, ZSL, UGL, DGP, GLDX, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, SLVP, DGL, DBS, GLTR, DGZ, RING, AGOL, DGLD, OUNZ, DBP, GGGG, WITE, PSAU, TBAR, USV, UBG, JJP, GLDE, GYEN, GLDL, RGRP, GLDS, GEUR, GGBP, BLNG
Jun. 19, 2014, 3:35 PM
- Beaten-up gold miner stocks are strong across the board as precious metal prices move sharply higher and take out key technical resistance levels; Comex gold jumped $41.40 (+3.3%) to settle at $1,314.10/oz., the highest level since April 14, and silver added $0.87 (+4.4%) to end at $20.65/oz..
- Among today's winners: EGO +8.5%, AGI +8.5%, BTG +8.1%, SBGL +8.1%, SLW +5.5%, AUY +5.3%, AUY +5.2%, KGC +5.2%, GG +4.8%, NG +4.4%, AU +4.1%, ANV +4%, GFI +3.8%, ABX +3.2%, NEM +2.8%, IAG +1.7%.
Jun. 16, 2014, 5:19 PM
- Alexco Resources (AXU) says it reached agreement with Silver Wheaton (SLW) to amend the 2008 silver purchase agreement so that the fixed $3.90/oz. silver streaming production payment is replaced with a variable production payment based on the spot price of silver.
- The agreement applies to 25% of AXU's payable silver produced at its Keno Hill silver mining operations in Yukon, Canada.
May 27, 2014, 3:33 PM
- June gold fell to its lowest level in 15 weeks, settling 2% lower $1,265.50/oz., as "everywhere the investor looks, he sees nothing but a negative for gold today." Silver slipped 1.8% to end at $19.07/oz.
- Gold's drop despite increased violence in eastern Ukraine "is a telling sign that more weakness may be on the horizon," says Forex.com's Matt Weller; a shift in tone by Russia, which indicated its willingness to work with the new Ukrainian government and made strides toward a natural gas deal between the two countries, removed another support from the gold market.
- Also a factor is a round of stronger U.S. economic data showing a surprise increase in durable goods orders, improved housing data and rising consumer confidence, which is providing a lift to stocks; the expiration of June gold options also is adding to market volatility.
- Precious metals miners are among the day's weakest stock performers: ABX -3.4%, GG -3.8%, NEM -3.1%, SLW -3.4%, KGC -3.8%, AUY -4.1%, AU -6.5%.
- ETFs: GLD, SLV, AGQ, IAU, USLV, SIVR, ZSL, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, UGLD, DZZ, SLVO, GLDI, DSLV, DGL, DBS, DGZ, DGLD, AGOL, OUNZ, TBAR, USV, UBG, GLDE, GYEN, GEUR, GLDS, GLDL, GGBP
May 8, 2014, 5:12 PM
- Silver Wheaton (SLW): Q1 EPS of $0.22 in-line.
- Revenue of $165.4M (-19.6% Y/Y) misses by $20.71M.
May 8, 2014, 5:12 PM
- Silver Wheaton Corp. (SLW) declares $0.07/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 1.28%
- Payable May 30; for shareholders of record May 20; ex-div May 16.
Mar. 25, 2014, 11:39 AM
- Silver prices below $20/oz. should worry some investors, as several miners may need to adjust their plans if spot prices weaken further, Dundee's Chris Lichtenheldt says as he breaks down how specific companies will be impacted.
- The analyst says Coeur Mining (CDE) is an ideal sell or short candidate, Endeavour Silver (EXK) is essentially breakeven at $19 silver, and Silver Standard (SSRI) has been a top performer YTD but is a high-cost operator.
- As for Dundee's potential winners: Tahoe Resources (TAHO) is a low-cost operator with a best-in-class asset, Silver Wheaton's (SLW) balance sheet is solid above $15 silver, and Pan American Silver's (PAAS) strong balance sheet should provide a cushion as higher-cost operations have improved.
- ETFs: SIL, SLVP, SILJ
Silver Wheaton Corp. is a precious metal streaming company, which engages in the exploration of silver and gold. Its portfolio of assets include Penasquito, Pascua-Lama, San Dimas, 777 Mine, Yauliyacu, Salobo, Sudbury, Constancia, Zinkgruvan and Minto Mine. The company was founded by Peter Derek... More
Sector: Basic Materials
Other News & PR