Standard Motor Products, Inc.NYSE
Tue, Oct. 11, 9:33 AM
- The German Bundesrat has fired a warning shot across the automobile industry that is yet another indication that seismic changes could be coming down the road.
- In a vote intended to pressure the EU, the Bundesrat approved a measure to ban gas and diesel vehicles by 2030. The Bundesrat doesn't set policy across Europe, but is considered influential.
- Naturally, the fact that the push is coming from the home of Mercedes, BMW, and Volkswagen also adds a degree of intrigue to the news and the underlying electrification push out of the trio.
- Wall Street analysts with their 1-year price target mindset haven't weighed in on the development, but there's plenty of discussion on Seeking Alpha about the implications.
- Previously: Germany says nein to internal combustion engines (Oct. 10)
- Related auto parts stocks: ACW, ALSN, ALV, AXL, BWA, CAAS, CPS, DAN, DLPH, DORM, FDML, FENX, GNTX, JCI, LDL, LEA, LKQ, MBLY, MLR, MNRO, MOD, MPAA, MPG, MTOR, PLOW, SMP, SRI, STRT, SUP, STRT, TEN, THRM, TEN, TOWR, UFAB, VC, VOXX, WBC, ZX.
Wed, Aug. 31, 10:26 AM
- U.S. auto sales are expected to show a decline of 2% to 5% for August amid a dialing back of discounting activity, according to the range of forecasts from Kelley Blue Book, Edmunds, J.D. Power, and LMC Automotive. General Motors is poised to report a loss of market share as its plan to cut out fleet sales impacts volume.
- Bloomberg estimates the seasonally adjusted selling rate for the month will be 17.2M, down from 17.9M last month.
- The sales dip isn't necessarily a bottom line drag for the sector due to reduced discounting and the increasing mix of higher-profit SUVs and trucks. But higher profit hasn't lifted automaker stocks this year, with the group having trouble gaining traction and trading with low forward PE multiples (GM 5.5, Ford 6.8, Honda 10.5, Toyota 10.9).
- Auto parts stocks (LEA, TEN, BWA, DAN, MPAA, CPS, DLPH, AXL, TOWR, ACW, FENX, MTOR, THRM, SMP, ALV, MOD, SRI) will be on watch tomorrow when the reports roll in as the sector frequently sees some extra volatility on days U.S. auto sales are disclosed.
- Related stocks: GM, FCAU, F, TM, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, OTCPK:VLKAY, OTCPK:BMWYY, OTCPK:DDAIF, TSLA, OTCPK:MZDAY, TSLA, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:FUJHY, RACE.
Wed, Aug. 3, 8:43 AM
Wed, Aug. 3, 8:31 AM
Tue, Aug. 2, 5:30 PM
- AAWW, AFAM, ALE, APO, ARCC, ARCO, ARQL, ATHM, ATRO, AVA, CDK, CDW, CEVA, CLDT, CLH, CLX, CRL, CROX, CRTO, CSTE, CWEI, D, DDD, DIN, DLPH, DM, DNOW, DOC, EE, ENR, FCPT, FUN, GEL, HFC, HUM, HYH, ICE, ING, INSY, INXN, IRT, KATE, KLIC, LINC, LMOS, MDC, MEMP, MFA, MTOR, NBL, NSM, NVMI, ODP, ORBK, OXY, PERI, POR, RRD, SBGI, SC, SCMP, SE, SHOP, SMG, SMP, SPR, SR, SUM, TMHC, TWX, USAK, VER, VIRT, VOYA, VSI, WD, XEL, ZTS
Tue, May 31, 9:04 AM
Mon, May 23, 6:44 PM
- General Cable (BGC +2.3%) has a definitive deal to sell its ignition-wire business in North America to Standard Motor Products (SMP -2.3%), for about $71M.
- The cable-products maker will use proceeds to reduce debt.
- It's been a strong business, says CEO Mike McDonnell, but it's "not aligned with our strategic and financial criteria going forward. As previously communicated, we are focused on growing our businesses in the electric utility, communications and industrial markets where we have leading positions, scale and sustainable profitability.”
- At last report, General Cable's total debt sat at $1.15B with a debt/equity of 410%. Market cap is $681M.
- Now read General Cable's Turnaround Won't Be Quick Or Easy »
Wed, May 4, 8:47 AM
- Standard Motor Products (NYSE:SMP) declares $0.17/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 1.94%
- Payable June 1; for shareholders of record May 16; ex-div May 12.
Wed, May 4, 8:31 AM
- Standard Motor Products (NYSE:SMP): Q1 EPS of $0.55 beats by $0.07.
- Revenue of $238.91M (+5.0% Y/Y) beats by $2.73M.
Tue, May 3, 5:30 PM
- AFAM, ARCC, ARCO, ARQL, ASC, ATRO, AVA, AYR, BDC, BUD, CDW, CHH, CLH, CPK, CRK, CRL, CRTO, CRZO, CSTE, D, DLPH, DNOW, ECYT, EE, ENR, FUN, GEL, GNRC, GTE, HAIN, HE, HFC, HSC, HSNI, HTWR, HYH, ICE, INXN, IONS, IRT, KATE, KLIC, LGND, MEMP, MFA, MMP, MOS, MPW, MTOR, NBL, NGS, NJR, NRZ, NVMI, NXTM, OMF, ONCE, ORBK, PCG, PCLN, RDC, RDS.A, SBGI, SCMP, SE, SERV, SHOP, SMP, SPAR, SR, SRE, SSTK, STRA, TGH, TGI, TMHC, TREE, TWX, VIRT, VOYA, VSI, WD, WIX, ZTS
Mon, Apr. 18, 9:47 AM
- Sidoti initiates coverage on Standard Motor Product (SMP +8.3%) with a Buy rating.
- The investment firm assigns a price target of $44 on the automobile industry supplier.
- SA contributor Jenks Jumps pointed last out last month that investors had a chance to buy Standard Motor at a discount to future earnings potential. Shares are up about 20% since that call.
- Now read Standard Motor Products: Valued On 2015 Earnings
Thu, Feb. 25, 5:30 PM
Tue, Jan. 12, 8:37 AM
- Standard Motor Products (NYSE:SMP) declares $0.17/share quarterly dividend, 13.3% increase from prior dividend of $0.15.
- Forward yield 1.91%
- Payable March 1; for shareholders of record Feb. 16; ex-div Feb. 11.
Oct. 31, 2015, 12:51 PM
- The European Automobile Manufacturers Association issued a statement this week in which it forecasts that a "substantial number" of diesel models will have to be phased out earlier than anticipated.
- The harsh assessment was mirrored by several heavyweight CEOs at the Tokyo Motor Show. The major focus of the event has been next-gen concepts like hydrogen-powered cars and self-driving features, while execs such as Nissan's Carlos Ghosn have marginalized the future of diesel.
- Many automobile industry insiders have noted that diesel was in decline due to the focus on emissions even before Volkswagen (OTCQX:VLKAY) rocked the industry with a cheating scandal.
- The mix of technology, EV, hydrogen, and powertrain changes have kept analysts buzzing over the proper valuations to assign to major players. A reset of demand expectations in China also factors in significantly.
- Automobile industry stocks: DAN, BWA, MTOR, TRW, FDML, DLPH,GNTX, SMP, AXL, MPAA, ALV, MOD, DLPH, VC, THRM, WPRT, GM, F, TM, FCAU, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, TTM, TSLA, THRM, BWA, JCI, TEN, CPS, LDL, TOWR, OTCPK:PEUGF, OTC:RNSDF, OTCPK:RNLSY.
- Previously: Hydrogen and self-driving cars the talk at the Toyota Motor Show (Oct. 29)
Oct. 29, 2015, 8:37 AM
- Standard Motor Products (NYSE:SMP) declares $0.15/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 1.49%
- Payable Dec. 1; for shareholders of record Nov. 16; ex-div Nov. 12.
Oct. 29, 2015, 8:33 AM
- Standard Motor Products (NYSE:SMP): Q3 EPS of $0.80 in-line.
- Revenue of $270M (+5.0% Y/Y) beats by $0.7M.