Mon, Aug. 1, 5:38 AM
Sun, Jul. 31, 5:30 PM
Mon, Jul. 25, 4:41 AM
- China's top internet regulator has ordered major online companies including Sina Corp. (NASDAQ:SINA) Tencent (OTCPK:TCEHY), Sohu.com (NASDAQ:SOHU) and NetEase (NASDAQ:NTES) to stop original news reporting, tightening its grip over the country's web and information industries.
- President Xi Jinping has stressed that Chinese media must serve the interests of the ruling Communist Party, giving authorities near-absolute control over online news and political discourse.
Wed, Jun. 8, 11:07 AM
Fri, May 20, 10:31 AM
- Shares in Sohu.com (NASDAQ:SOHU) are up 3.5% in U.S. trading after a Chinese newspaper reported it's in talks to partner with Google (GOOG +1.3%, GOOGL +1%) on searches.
- The South China Morning Post says the two have talked about a partnership where Google would perform "some of the searches," while Sohu's search engine Sogou would screen the results. Meanwhile, other Google applications (including Google Play and Google Maps) would return to China's market, TheFly noted.
- Now read Sohu.com: The Next Privatization Target »
Mon, Apr. 25, 5:13 AM
Sun, Apr. 24, 5:30 PM
Mon, Feb. 1, 3:32 PM
- Though Sohu (SOHU -3.8%) beat Q4 estimates, the company is guiding for Q1 revenue of $390M-$420M and EPS of -$0.40 to -$0.65, below a consensus of $450.6M and -$0.32.
- Likewise, gaming subsidiary Changyou's (CYOU -4.1%) Q4 beat is accompanied by guidance for Q1 revenue of $120M-$130M and EPS of $0.56 to $0.65, below a consensus of $157.3M and $0.73.
Sohu/Changyou's Q4: Sohu's brand ad revenue fell 5% Y/Y to $141M. Search revenue (Sogou) +37% to $151M. Online game revenue (Changyou) -31% to $127M. The gaming decline is attributed to "the natural decline in revenues of older games, such as TLBB 3D and TLBB, and a decrease in Web game revenue as a result of the sale of the 7Road business in [Q3]."
Sohu's gross margin fell to 57% from 59% a year ago; Changyou's GM rose to 74% from 68%. Sohu's non-GAAP operating expenses fell 6% Y/Y; Changyou's opex (reported in GAAP) fell 47% due to the absence of charges recorded a year ago.
- Sohu: Q4 results, earnings release
- Changyou: Q4 results, earnings release
Mon, Feb. 1, 4:32 AM
- Sohu.com (NASDAQ:SOHU): Q4 EPS of -$0.34 beats by $0.10.
- Revenue of $466.1M (-2.3% Y/Y) beats by $6.73M.
Sun, Jan. 31, 5:30 PM
Mon, Jan. 4, 12:58 PM
- With concerns about macro issues both inside and outside China's borders running high, the Shanghai and Shenzhen exchanges respectively fell 6.9% and 8.2% overnight before getting halted. Today in the U.S., the Nasdaq is down 2.6% and the S&P 2.1%.
- Naturally, U.S.-traded Chinese tech stocks are having a rough day. Big decliners include e-commerce firms Alibaba (BABA -6.2%), JD.com (JD -7.9%), Vipshop (VIPS -7.8%), and Baozun (BZUN -6.8%). Others include auto site owners Bitauto (BITA -7.2%) and Autohome (ATHM -8.5%), Sohu (SOHU -6.9%) and gaming subsidiary Changyou (CYOU -8.8%), mobile app developer Cheetah Mobile (CMCM -7%), online classifieds leader 58.com (WUBA -5.9%), and CDN owner ChinaCache (CCIH -6.4%).
- SouFun is down sharply after naming a new CFO. Qunar is seeing big losses after naming a new CEO, COO, and CFO.
- In other news, Alipay parent Ant Financial is looking to raise more funds ahead of a long-expected IPO. Bloomberg reports Alipay is seeking at least $1.5B; the Chinese online payments leader was valued at $45B in a June round. Alibaba is entitled to 37.5% of Alipay's pre-IPO profits, and a 37.5% stake at IPO time.
- ETFs: CQQQ, KWEB, QQQC, EMQQ
Dec. 16, 2015, 10:46 AM
- SOHU CEO Charles Zhang has made a non-binding proposal to invest (through a special-purpose entity created by Zhang and a P-E firm) $600M in stock and convertible debt.
- The stock purchases would be based on the last sale price the day before a subscription is signed, subject to a max purchase price of $50/share; Sohu currently trades above $52. A special financing committee within Sohu's board will consider the offer.
Oct. 26, 2015, 12:27 PM
- Beaten-down SOHU and Changyou (NASDAQ:CYOU) have surged after delivering Q3 beats and issuing soft Q4 guidance.
- Sohu expects Q4 revenue of $435M-$465M and EPS of -$0.40 to -$0.65 vs. a consensus of $515.3M and -$0.42. Majority-owned Changyou expects Q4 revenue of $145M-$155M and EPS of $0.56-$0.65 vs. a consensus of $182.5M and $0.76.
- Q3 business performance: Sohu's online gaming revenue (Changyou) was down 12% Q/Q and flat Y/Y at $153M. The Sogou search platform saw revenue rise 9% Q/Q and 50% Y/Y to $148M, with both paid clicks and ad prices (cost per click) rising. Brand ad revenue was flat Q/Q and up 2% Y/Y to $152M, with Sohu Video growing 9% Y/Y to $57M. Other revenue more than doubled Y/Y to $70M. Sogou's mobile traffic exceeded PC traffic for the first time.
- Financials: Sohu's gross margin rose to 59% from 55% in Q2 and 58% in Q3 2014. Operating expenses (non-GAAP) fell 3% Y/Y to $267M. Sohu ended Q3 with $1.33B in cash, and $345M in bank loans.
- Sohu CEO Charles Zhang: "I am pleased with our quarterly results amid a sluggish economy and considerable RMB depreciation ... The soft macro economy had a major impact on traditional brand advertisers who shrank their marketing budgets. In addition, the depreciation of RMB against the U.S. dollar had an adverse effect to our reported numbers."
- Sohu: Q3 results, PR
- Changyou: Q3 results, PR
Oct. 26, 2015, 4:16 AM
- Sohu.com (NASDAQ:SOHU): Q3 EPS of $1.27 may not be comparable to consensus of -$0.62.
- Revenue of $522M (+21.3% Y/Y) beats by $30.74M.
Oct. 25, 2015, 5:30 PM
Aug. 25, 2015, 12:56 PM
- The Shanghai exchange fell another 7.6% overnight, but that has been overshadowed by a surprise rate cut (delivered after Chinese markets closed) by the PBOC and a 3.4% Nasdaq gain. The Guggenheim China Tech ETF (CQQQ +5.3%) is up 16% from its Monday morning low, and down 36% from a May peak of $45.64.
- Alibaba (BABA +6.5%) is among today's big gainers, as are e-commerce peers JD.com (JD +8.7%), Vipshop (VIPS +6.9%), LightInTheBox (LITB +13.1%), and Jumei (JMEI +12.1%). Other standouts include Weibo (WB +19.8%), 51job (JOBS +11.5%), Bitauto (BITA +10.2%), NQ Mobile (NQ +9.7%), Sohu (SOHU +6.7%), Ctrip (CTRP +8.1%), and NetEase (NTES +8.3%).
- E-House (EJ +9.8%) and subsidiary Leju (LEJU +8.6%) are up strongly after posting Q2 beats (I, II) and respectively reiterating full-year revenue guidance of $1.05B-$1.1B (+16%-22% Y/Y) and $600M-$620M (+21%-25%). Qunar (QUNR +6.2%) is doing well after posting mixed Q2 results and issuing strong Q3 sales guidance.
- ETFs: QQQC, KWEB, EMQQ
Sohu.com, Inc. engages in the online media, search, gaming, community, and mobile services. It operates through the following segments: Brand Advertising, Sogou (which mainly consists of the search and others business), Changyou (which mainly consists of the online game business), Mobile and... More
Industry: Internet Information Providers
Country: United States