Aug. 30, 2013, 12:48 PM
- The China mobile internet sector has collected enough users, J.P. Morgan says, and prefers Qihoo (QIHU -0.7%) and Tencent (TCEHY.PK, TCTZF.PK) because they have already amassed large mobile platforms.
- Both companies should continue to capitalize on China’s booming mobile economy, the firm says; it expects Tencent to capture 30%-35% mobile game share by the end of 2014 through content development and distribution, while QIHU could take 10% through distribution.
- The firm cuts Youku (YOKU -2.7%) and Sohu (SOHU -2.1%) to Neutral from Overweight.
- JPM also likes online real estate services platform Soufun (SFUN +4.6%) for its market leading position; users seem sticky and barrier to entry seems high.
Aug. 30, 2013, 9:41 AM
- Deutsche upgrades ARM Holdings (ARMH +0.7%) to Buy. Analyst Kai Korschelt thinks Intel fears are overblown and will have limited impact on ARM's EPS going forward.
- Bernstein upgrades Telecom Italia (TI +8.6%) to Outperform. TI is down 27.3% in the last year as the telco has been roiled by the spectre of credit downgrades and antitrust troubles.
- JPMorgan scythes a number of Chinese tech stocks: Dangdang (DANG -4.7%) to Underweight with a PT of $6.50, Youku Tudou (YOKU -1.3%) to Neutral with a PT of $23, and Sohu.com (SOHU -0.7%) to Neutral with a PT hike to $66 ($56 previous).
- JPMorgan also initiated a number of Chinese stocks: Soufun (SFUN +1.5%) with an Overweight rating and PT of $49 and YY (YY +1.1%) with an Overweight rating and PT of $47.
- Swedbank downgrades Nokia (NOK -2.4%) to Reduce.
Aug. 28, 2013, 11:22 AM
- Qihoo's (QIHU -6.6%) 2018 convertible notes carry an interest rate of 2.5%, and a conversion price of $110.96 (51% above current levels). (PR)
- Goldman estimated (before the deal was priced) the offering would dilute EPS by 4%-6%. The firm thinks Qihoo will use the proceeds " to strengthen its presence in the key strategic areas, such as in mobile gaming and search," to counter the expansion efforts of rivals.
- Judging by today's rally in Sohu (SOHU +4.7%) shares, some investors are clearly betting Qihoo will use the funds to strengthen its search presence by acquiring Sohu's Sogou unit, for which Qihoo has already held buyout talks.
- Previous: Qihoo announces $550M convertible debt offering
Jul. 30, 2013, 9:43 AM
- Bankrate (RATE +13.6%) has been upgraded to Buy by BofA in response to its Q2 report.
- SanDisk (SNDK -2.5%) has been cut to Neutral by Goldman.
- OpenTable (OPEN -1.3%) has been cut to Neutral by Macquarie.
- Sohu (SOHU -0.7%) has been cut to Equal Weight by Morgan Stanley following yesterday's Q2 report (I, II).
- EDA software firms Mentor Graphics (MENT -0.1%) and Synopsys (SNPS +0.8%) have been started at Outperform by Pac Crest. Rival Cadence (CDNS -0.2%) has been started at Sector Perform.
Jul. 29, 2013, 12:45 PM
Jul. 29, 2013, 10:47 AM
- Sohu's (SOHU) Q2 numbers weren't bad. Brand ad revenue of $100M (+45% Y/Y, +32% in Q1), online game revenue of $168M (+24% Y/Y, +33% in Q1), and Sogou revenue of $50M (+64% Y/Y, +73% in Q1) met guidance.
- Sohu's Q3 guidance is for revenue of $358M-$370M vs. a $361.3M consensus. Sogou revenue is seen growing 45%-50% Y/Y to $54M-$56M.
- But expectations for Sohu had risen; the $340.3M Q2 rev. consensus was near the high end of a $333M-$342M guidance range.
- Sohu's gross margin was 66%, flat Q/Q and +500 bps Y/Y. Opex +21% Q/Q and +43% Y/Y (above rev. growth of +10% and +33%).
- Subsidiary Changyou (CYOU) has also seen expectations rise. And its guidance for Q3 revenue of $180M-$186M is below a $191M consensus.
- Changyou's online game revenue +1% Q/Q and +24% Y/Y. But active paying accounts -4% Q/Q and -25% Y/Y to 1.96M.
- Changyou has established a new $100M buyback program in an attempt to soften the blow.
- BofA/Merrill has cut Changyou to Neutral.
- Q2 results: Sohu, Changyou
- PRs: Sohu, Changyou
Jul. 29, 2013, 8:31 AM
- Shanda Games (GAME) -7% premarket after agreeing to acquire affiliates providing user and payment platform services from its parent company Shanda Interactive Entertainment for a combined $811.5M.
- GAME says the moves will strengthen its mobile strategy.
- Other players in Chinese gaming: SOHU, RENN, NTES, PWRD, GA.
Jul. 29, 2013, 5:39 AM
- Sohu.com (SOHU): Q2 EPS of $0.58 in-line. Revenue of $339M (+33% Y/Y) misses by $1.27M. (PR)
Jul. 29, 2013, 12:05 AM
Jul. 28, 2013, 5:30 PM
Jul. 24, 2013, 10:01 PMChinese Internet stocks finished AH trading with solid gains thanks to Baidu's big Q2 beat and above-consensus Q3 guidance. Baidu mentioned in its report revenue/ad customer rose 11% Q/Q, and that mobile now accounts for over 10% of its sales. SINA +4.1%. SOHU +2.2%. RENN +4.3%. YOKU +3.6%. YY +3.1%. Rival QIHU +3.3%. | Jul. 24, 2013, 10:01 PM
Jul. 19, 2013, 2:25 PM
Sohu (SOHU +0.9%) responds to comments from a Qihoo (QIHU +1.6%) exec about M&A talks regarding Sohu's Sogou search unit by stating it "has been, and continues to be, in preliminary discussions with several potential strategic investors and partners." Sohu adds its Sogou options include both the sale of a minority stake, and "a more comprehensive strategic combination." Qihoo has issued a PR in which it says "no agreement has been reached with respect to a significant transaction," but provides little color beyond that.| Jul. 19, 2013, 2:25 PM
Jul. 19, 2013, 9:38 AM
Qihu (QIHU -1.1%) says it's in talks to buy Sohu's (SOHU +0.4%) Sogou search unit, but cautions it's "not in the pricing stage yet" and is still weighing integration issues. Analysts estimate the business is worth $1.2B-$1.4B. Sogou, rumored to be drawing interest from a few different companies, was recently estimated to have an 8.8% share of the Chinese search market in June; Qihoo was given a 15.3% share. If integration challenges can be handled well, a Qihoo/Sogou merger would yield a company with more resources, user data, and advertising scale to take on Baidu (BIDU -0.3%, 69.4% share). Sohu has forecast Sogou revenue of $48M-$50M for Q2, +41%-44% Y/Y.| Jul. 19, 2013, 9:38 AM | 1 Comment
Jul. 5, 2013, 11:22 AM
Google (GOOG +0.6%) had just 2.1% of the Chinese search market in June, down from 4.7% last October, per research firm CNZZ. Though Google's Chinese share has been falling for some time thanks to its decision to shut down Google.cn and redirect visitors to its Hong Kong site rather than censor results, Qihoo's (QIHU +3.4%) decision to make its own search engine the default engine for its browser, and thereby swap out Google, has sped up the trend. Qihoo is now estimated to have a 15.3% share (was 9.6% in Oct.), and Sohu's (SOHU +1.3%) Sogou 8.8% (7.8% prior). Baidu's (BIDU +1.1%) share is believed to have fallen to 69.4% from 73%. (more on Qihoo/Baidu)| Jul. 5, 2013, 11:22 AM
Jun. 28, 2013, 9:40 AMA roundup of tech analyst ratings changes: 1) Sina (SINA -0.2%) has been upgraded to Hold by Maxim. 2) First Solar (FSLR +1%) has been upgraded to to Buy by Argus. 3) Vodafone (VOD +0.5%) has been upgraded to Buy by Deutsche. 4) American Superconductor (AMSC +10.3%) has been started at Buy by Ascendiant Capital. 5) F5 (FFIV +0.7%) has been upgraded to Outperform by Raymond James. 6) Move (MOVE +1%) has been started at Buy by B. Riley. 7) Sohu (SOHU -1.1%) has been upgraded to Neutral by HSBC. 8) Palo Alto Networks (PANW -2.2%) has been started at Perform by Oppenheimer. 9) Veeco (VECO -1.7%) has been started at Neutral by Wedbush. | Jun. 28, 2013, 9:40 AM
Jun. 27, 2013, 9:59 AMA roundup of tech ratings changes: 1) BNP Paribas has started Baidu (BIDU +1.6%) at Buy. 2) Longbow has upgraded Seagate (STX +4.1%) and Western Digital (WDC +2.9%) to Buy. 3) Pac Crest has started Synchronoss (SNCR +2.9%) at Outperform. 4) Lazard has upgraded Trimble (TRMB +2.5%) to Buy. 5) BMO and RBC have downgraded Rogers (RCI -1.9%) to Market Perform/Sector Perform, and BMO has also downgraded Telus (TU -2.4%) to Market Perform. However, Stifel has upgraded Telus to Buy. (yesterday). 6) HSBC has upgraded Sohu (SOHU +3.8%) to Neutral. 7) China Mobile (CHL +1.7%) has been upgraded to Neutral by BofA/Merrill. 8) Atmel (ATML +1.4%) has been upgraded to Buy by Lazard. 9) Flir Systems (FLIR +2.1%) has been upgraded to Overweight by Stephens. | Jun. 27, 2013, 9:59 AM