Mon, Oct. 26, 12:27 PM
- Beaten-down SOHU and Changyou (NASDAQ:CYOU) have surged after delivering Q3 beats and issuing soft Q4 guidance.
- Sohu expects Q4 revenue of $435M-$465M and EPS of -$0.40 to -$0.65 vs. a consensus of $515.3M and -$0.42. Majority-owned Changyou expects Q4 revenue of $145M-$155M and EPS of $0.56-$0.65 vs. a consensus of $182.5M and $0.76.
- Q3 business performance: Sohu's online gaming revenue (Changyou) was down 12% Q/Q and flat Y/Y at $153M. The Sogou search platform saw revenue rise 9% Q/Q and 50% Y/Y to $148M, with both paid clicks and ad prices (cost per click) rising. Brand ad revenue was flat Q/Q and up 2% Y/Y to $152M, with Sohu Video growing 9% Y/Y to $57M. Other revenue more than doubled Y/Y to $70M. Sogou's mobile traffic exceeded PC traffic for the first time.
- Financials: Sohu's gross margin rose to 59% from 55% in Q2 and 58% in Q3 2014. Operating expenses (non-GAAP) fell 3% Y/Y to $267M. Sohu ended Q3 with $1.33B in cash, and $345M in bank loans.
- Sohu CEO Charles Zhang: "I am pleased with our quarterly results amid a sluggish economy and considerable RMB depreciation ... The soft macro economy had a major impact on traditional brand advertisers who shrank their marketing budgets. In addition, the depreciation of RMB against the U.S. dollar had an adverse effect to our reported numbers."
- Sohu: Q3 results, PR
- Changyou: Q3 results, PR
Mon, Oct. 26, 4:16 AM
Sun, Oct. 25, 5:30 PM
Mon, Jul. 27, 2:45 PM
- Though it beat Q2 estimates, SOHU is guiding for Q3 revenue of $470M-$500M and EPS of -$0.55 to -$0.80, below a consensus of $530.2M and -$0.39.
- Meanwhile, gaming subsidiary Changyou's (NASDAQ:CYOU) Q2 beat is accompanied by guidance for Q3 revenue of $172M-$175M and EPS of $0.64-$0.73. The latter is mostly above a $0.65 consensus, but the former is below a $204.6M consensus.
- Business performance: Sohu's Sogou search platform remained a strong point in Q2: Revenue rose 27% Q/Q and 62% Y/Y to $147M. Online game revenue (Changyou) fell 7% Q/Q and rose 12% Y/Y to $172M, and brand ad revenue rose 13% Q/Q and Y/Y to $151M, with Sohu Video ad revenue rising 17% Q/Q and 36% Y/Y to $59.
- Financials: Sohu's gross margin was 55%, up from Q1's 51% and down from Q2 2014's 58%. Operating expenses (non-GAAP) rose 8% Q/Q and fell 11% Y/Y to $237M; both the Q/Q increase and Y/Y drop were due to marketing/promotional spend changes. Sohu ended Q2 with $1.2B in cash/short-term investments, and $370M in bank loans.
- A broader selloff in Chinese stocks is likely weighing on both companies' shares.
- Sohu: Q2 results, PR
- Changyou: Q2 results, PR
Mon, Jul. 27, 2:31 AM
Sun, Jul. 26, 5:30 PM
Mon, Apr. 27, 6:02 AM
Sun, Apr. 26, 5:30 PM
Mon, Feb. 9, 10:34 AM
- Though SOHU beat Q4 estimates, it's guiding for Q1 revenue of $425M-$440M and EPS of -$0.95 to -$1.05, below a consensus of $445.1M and -$0.72.
- Subsidiary Chanyou (NASDAQ:CYOU), which posted a revenue beat and an EPS miss, is guiding for revenue of $195M-$200M and EPS of $0.64-$0.68; the former is below a $201M consensus, and the latter above a $0.24 consensus.
- Changyou has also announced the appointment of Sohu exec Jasmine Zhou as its permanent CFO. Zhou takes over from Rucia Ren, who had been serving as interim CFO.
- Sohu's online game revenue (stems from Changyou) rose 7% Y/Y in Q4 to $184M. Sogou search revenue rose 70% to $119M (share gains), and brand ad revenue 20% to $148M. Changyou's average monthly active accounts and quarterly active paying accounts respectively rose 81% and 59% to 13.9M and 2.7M.
- Sohu's gross margin was 59%, up from Q3's 58% but down from 64% a year ago. Operating expenses rose 16% Y/Y to $288M (compares with 24% revenue growth), with Changyou's opex rising 14% to $149.4M.
- Sohu: Q4 results, PR. Changyou: Q4 results, PR.
Mon, Feb. 9, 6:00 AM
Sun, Feb. 8, 5:30 PM
Nov. 3, 2014, 9:15 AM
- Along with its Q3 report, Changyou (NASDAQ:CYOU) announces CEO Tao Wang has resigned for "personal reasons." SOHU CFO Carol Yu and Changoyu president Dewen Chen will serve as co-CEOs.
- The news comes as both Changyou and parent Sohu post mixed Q3 results (EPS beats and revenue misses) and offer light Q4 sales guidance. Sohu expects Q4 revenue of $442M-$462M, mostly below a $461.1M consensus. Changyou expects Q4 revenue of $188M-$198M, below a $199.2M consensus.
- Changyou's Q3 revenue (42% of Sohu's revenue) fell 1% Y/Y due to a 7% drop in online game revenue to $150.3M; Changyou faces off against Tencent, Perfect World, Shanda, and a slew of other firms in a very competitive Chinese online gaming market.
- Average monthly active accounts for Changyou's games amounted to 29M, +21% Q/Q and -6% Y/Y. Average monthly accounts for platform channels totaled 275M, +9% Q/Q and +178% Y/Y.
- Sohu's Sogou search unit continued to perform well: Sales rose 17% Q/Q and 86% Y/Y to $106M. Meanwhile, Sohu's brand ad sales grew 12% Q/Q and 19% Y/Y to $106M.
- Sohu's gross margin was 58%, flat Q/Q and down from 66% a year ago. Opex was $275M, +3% Q/Q and +47% Y/Y.
- Sohu: Q3 results, PR. Changyou: Q3 results, PR.
Nov. 3, 2014, 5:50 AM
Nov. 2, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jul. 28, 2014, 2:51 PM
- Sohu (SOHU +1%) expects Q3 revenue of $427M-$442M and EPS of -$0.75 to -$0.85 vs. a consensus of $451.4M and -$0.97. Subsidiary Changyou (CYOU +0.9%) expects Q3 revenue of $186M-$192M and EPS of -$0.11 to $0.00 vs. a consensus of $200.1M and -$0.04.
- While respectively up 275% and 86% Y/Y, Changyou's sales/marketing and R&D spend fell 14% and 30% Q/Q in Q2 to $69.4M and $49M. That helped both Changyou and Sohu beat EPS estimates in spite of revenue misses. Sohu's total opex fell 8% Q/Q and rose 67% Y/Y to $267M.
- Changyou notes it "scaled back its advertising and promotion of its PC-based and mobile-based software applications" in Q2. The R&D spend decline is attributed to lower expenses related to employee incentive plans.
- Each company saw declining gross margins: Changyou's GM fell to 76% from 78% in Q1 and 83% a year ago, and Sohu's fell to 58% from 62% in Q1 and 66% a year ago. In addition to Changyou, Sohu's GM was dinged by lower advertising margins caused by higher content/bandwidth costs.
- While Changyou's gaming revenue fell 9% Y/Y to $154M, Sohu's search/other revenue grew 84% Y/Y to $85M, and its brand ad revenue grew 33% Y/Y to $133M.
- Revenue related to the Sogou search engine (largely search/other) rose 30% Q/Q and 82% Y/Y to $91M. Average monthly active accounts for Changyou's games fell 14% Q/Q and 33% Y/Y to 24M. Changyou's platform channel accounts grew 5% Q/Q and 196% Y/Y to 252M.
- Q2 results: Sohu, Changyou
Jul. 28, 2014, 2:39 AM
Sohu.com Inc is a Chinese online media, search, gaming, community and mobile service group providing comprehensive online products and services on PCs and mobile devices in the People's Republic of China.
Other News & PR