Spectranetics Has Multiple Attractive Opportunities, But Will They Execute?
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Nov. 28, 2014, 10:45 AM
- Medtronic (MDT +1.3%) secures EU approval for its $43B acquisition of Covidien plc (COV +1%) contingent on, as expected, Covidien selling Stellarex, its drug-coated angioplasty balloon. Spectranetics (SPNC +1.9%) agreed to purchase Stellarex several weeks ago for $30M. The FTC recently gave its blessing to the transaction as well.
- Previously: FTC clears Medtronic/Covidien marriage
- Previously: Spectranetics buys Covidien's DCB platform
Nov. 26, 2014, 3:57 PM
- The Federal Trade Commission approves the merger between Medtronic (MDT +1%) and Covidien plc (COV +1.2%) with the proviso that Covidien divest its drug-coated catheter business before completing the transaction. Covidien agreed to sell the business for $30M to Spectranetics (SPNC +1%) several weeks ago.
- Previously: Medtronic buying Covidien for $42.9B
Nov. 3, 2014, 8:11 AM
- Spectranetics (NASDAQ:SPNC) acquires Covidien's (NYSE:COV) Stellarex drug coated angioplasty balloon (DCB) platform for $30M. The company expects it to be a revenue catalyst beginning in 2015 and has the potential to deliver $100M to the top line within 2-3 years of commercialization in the U.S. Management expects it to be accretive to non-GAAP operating income, ex-items, in the first year following the start of the U.S. launch.
- Research and development related to Stellarex will dilute 2015 earnings $28M - 32M or $0.65 - 0.75 per share, however.
May 27, 2014, 6:53 PM
- Spectranetics (SPNC) is buying AngioScore, a maker of cardiovascular balloons, for $230M up-front ($115M apiece in cash and stock), plus contingent commercial/regulatory milestone payments.
- The deal, which broadens Spectranetics' product line, is expected to close around the end of June. Spectrnetics expects it to be accretive to 2015 adjusted EBITDA, and to yield $8M-$10M in pre-tax cost synergies.
- To help pay for the acquisition, Spectranetics is selling $200M worth of convertible senior notes due 2034. The underwriter will have a $30M overallotment option.
The Spectranetics Corp. is a medical device company that develops, manufactures, markets and distributes single-use medical devices used in minimally invasive procedures within the cardiovascular system. Its products are used to treat arterial blockages in the heart and legs as well as the... More
Industry: Medical Appliances & Equipment
Country: United States
Other News & PR