Wed, Jul. 27, 7:47 AM
- LabCorp (NYSE:LH) announces its intent to acquire Sequenom (NASDAQ:SQNM) for $2.40 in cash or $302M. Including net debt, the total value of the deal is ~$371M. The transaction should close by year end.
- Sequenom provides genetic testing services via its CLIA-certified molecular diagnostics laboratory. Its core offerings are focused on maternal fetal medicine.
- SQNM is up 183% premarket on robust volume.
Tue, Jul. 12, 3:37 PM
- Illumina (ILMN +6.7%) and Exact Sciences (EXAS +7.1%) head north on rumored interest by Illumina for a takeover. The supposed reason is to acquire tissue mapping expertise/technology as a component of liquid biopsy testing. Exact is collaborating with MAYO Foundation for Medical Education and Research on future DNA tests, including lung (from lung nodules), pancreatic and esophageal cancers. Its only commercially offering is Cologuard, a DNA screening test for colorectal cancer.
- At least on paper, Sequenom (SQNM +2.1%) appears to be at least as good a target, considering its pooled patent deal with Ilumina and Sequenom's stated desire for strategic partner to develop and commercialize its oncology liquid biopsy test.
- Exact's market cap is $1.3B while Sequenom's is a mere $112M. As of April 3, Ilumina had $1.34B in quick assets so it will have to issue stock or debt if it wants Exact.
Jun. 4, 2014, 7:12 AM