Sequenom: A Reversal Of Misfortune
Marty Chilberg • 27 Comments
Marty Chilberg • 27 Comments
Sequenom 2013 Operating Results Review
Wed, Jul. 27, 7:47 AM
- LabCorp (NYSE:LH) announces its intent to acquire Sequenom (NASDAQ:SQNM) for $2.40 in cash or $302M. Including net debt, the total value of the deal is ~$371M. The transaction should close by year end.
- Sequenom provides genetic testing services via its CLIA-certified molecular diagnostics laboratory. Its core offerings are focused on maternal fetal medicine.
- SQNM is up 183% premarket on robust volume.
Tue, Jul. 12, 3:37 PM
- Illumina (ILMN +6.7%) and Exact Sciences (EXAS +7.1%) head north on rumored interest by Illumina for a takeover. The supposed reason is to acquire tissue mapping expertise/technology as a component of liquid biopsy testing. Exact is collaborating with MAYO Foundation for Medical Education and Research on future DNA tests, including lung (from lung nodules), pancreatic and esophageal cancers. Its only commercially offering is Cologuard, a DNA screening test for colorectal cancer.
- At least on paper, Sequenom (SQNM +2.1%) appears to be at least as good a target, considering its pooled patent deal with Ilumina and Sequenom's stated desire for strategic partner to develop and commercialize its oncology liquid biopsy test.
- Exact's market cap is $1.3B while Sequenom's is a mere $112M. As of April 3, Ilumina had $1.34B in quick assets so it will have to issue stock or debt if it wants Exact.
Mon, Jun. 27, 11:00 AM
Thu, May 5, 9:12 AM
- Gainers: SYNC +143%. LGCY +31%. AAWW +27%. EPE +21%. FCEL +19%. WTW +15%. DNR +14%. ZNGA +14%. CHK +13%. BCEI +12%. UNXL +12%. ARRS +10%. CRC +10%. CLMT +9%. ORIG +9%. QRVO +8%. GSV +8%. HMY +8%. VNR +7%. MEET +7%. SDRL 7%. CLR 6%. SGYP 6%. OAS 5%. REGN 5%. BABA 5%. AUY 5%.
- Losers: PTX -37%. FRSH -27%. SQNM -19%. FIT -13%. EBIO -11%. LB -10%. WFT -9%. SEAS -8%. ABC -8%. CTL -5%.
Mon, Apr. 4, 12:32 PM
- Thinly traded micro cap OncoCyte (OCX +39.8%) is up on almost a 5x surge in volume, albeit on turnover of less than 100K shares, in response to its announcement of a successful 620-subject research study on its lung cancer diagnostic test that validates the transition of the assay platform from Illumina (ILMN +1.3%) microarrays to a Nanostring (NSTG -2.3%) nCounter instrument, the platform OncoCyte intends to use for commercialization. The study, which replicates an earlier one, was conducted by biomedical research organization The Wistar Institute.
- The company will now independently validate the results with its own follow-up study. If successful, it will execute the necessary analytic work to support the test's commercialization. If all goes well, commercial launch could happen in H1 2017. When launched, it will be the first commercially available, non-invasive diagnostic for the early detection of lung cancer.
- The value proposition of liquid biopsy, performed on a peripheral blood sample, is lower cost, greater convenience and much more patient-friendly that traditional tissue biopsy.
- Related tickers: (TROV +2.1%)(TBIO +5%)(SQNM)(CDNA -1.2%)(ILMN +1.3%)(FMI +3%)(BIOC -0.8%)
Wed, Mar. 23, 9:16 AM
Wed, Mar. 9, 8:20 AM
- Thinly traded nano cap Biocept (NASDAQ:BIOC) closes a contract with preferred provider organization (PPO) FedMed for access to its Target Selector liquid biopsy testing.
- FedMed, founded in 2000, provides medical services access to over 40M Americans through its PPO of more than 550K doctors, 4K hospitals and 60K ancillary care providers.
- Biocept's testing detects circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) in a peripheral blood sample obtained via a routine blood draw. Tumors consistently shed bits of DNA that circulate in the blood which has potential for detecting and monitoring cancer. Because the amounts of ctDNA are very small, the clinical utility wasn't there until high powered sequencers became available, such as those made by Illumina (NASDAQ:ILMN). The value proposition of liquid biopsy is lower cost, greater convenience and much more patient-friendly that traditional tissue biopsy.
- Shares are up 13% premarket on light volume.
- Liquid biopsy-related tickers: (NASDAQ:TROV)(NASDAQ:TBIO)(NASDAQ:SQNM)(NASDAQ:CDNA)
- Previously: Biocept's liquid biopsy matches 93% of lung cancer tissue biopsies in study (Feb. 26)
Oct. 2, 2015, 12:40 PM
Sep. 17, 2015, 9:15 AM
Sep. 17, 2015, 8:55 AM
- Sequenom Laboratories (NASDAQ:SQNM) signs a national contract with UnitedHealth Insurance to provide coverage of the company's MaterniT21 PLUS, HerediT CF Carrier Screen and HerediT UNIVERSAL Carrier Screen laboratory-developed tests. The agreement, effective October 1, covers 43M Americans.
- The MaterniT21 PLUS test detects fetal chromosomal abnormalities as early as 10 weeks into a pregnancy. The HerediT CF Carrier Screening test detects the most clinically relevant chromosomal abnormalities related to cystic fibrosis. The tests are performed in the company's laboratories as a service.
- Shares are up 9% premarket on light volume.
Aug. 26, 2015, 9:14 AM
Aug. 5, 2015, 5:38 PM
May 6, 2015, 4:16 PM
- Sequenom (NASDAQ:SQNM): Q1 EPS of $0.11 beats by $0.14.
- Revenue of $37.8M (+2.0% Y/Y) misses by $0.75M.
- Shares +9.4%.
Mar. 4, 2015, 4:14 PM
- Sequenom (NASDAQ:SQNM): Q4 EPS of $0.14 may not be comparable to consensus of -$0.05.
- Revenue of $36.8M (+12.5% Y/Y) misses by $5.14M.
- Shares +4.2%.
Dec. 3, 2014, 12:45 PM
Dec. 3, 2014, 9:09 AM
Sequenom, Inc. provides early patient management information. It develops and commercializes molecular diagnostic testing services that serve women's health and oncology markets. The company was founded by Hubert Koester and Charles R. Cantor in 1994 and is headquartered in San Diego, CA.
Country: United States
Other News & PR