Sep. 2, 2014, 3:03 AM
- The European trade body in China has dismissed reports stating Beijing was planning to require foreign auto parts suppliers in the country to form local joint ventures.
- The rumors surfaced as Chinese regulators cracked down on the country's auto industry, seeking to enforce a 2008 antitrust law.
- Last month, China issued $201M in fines against 12 Japanese companies for manipulating prices, while many foreign automakers have lowered their spare parts prices to appease local regulators.
- Related Stocks: OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:FIATY, OTCPK:DDAIY, TTM, TM, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, OTCPK:HTHIY, OTCPK:SSUMY, OTCPK:MIELY, OTCPK:JTEKY, OTCPK:DNZOY
Aug. 20, 2014, 3:10 AM
- China's anti-monopoly regulator has issued fines against 12 Japanese companies for colluding over prices of auto parts and bearings.
- The penalties total 1.2B yuan ($201.8M) and fine companies including Hitachi (OTCPK:HTHIY), Sumitomo (OTCPK:SSUMY), Mitsubishi Electric (OTCPK:MIELY), Jtekt (OTCPK:JTEKY) and Denso (OTCPK:DNZOY).
- China has been increasing its efforts to bring companies into compliance with an anti-monopoly law enacted in 2008, and has recently taken aim at the country's auto sector.
Oct. 25, 2013, 5:29 AM
- Rio Tinto (RIO) is reportedly in advanced negotiations to sell its 50.1% holding in a coal mine in Australia to Glencore Xstrata (GLCNF; GLNCY) and Japan's Sumitomo (SSUMY; SSUMF) for around $1B.
- Glencore Xstrata and Sumitomo would each buy half of Rio's stake in the Clermont mine in the state of Queensland. The deal could be signed today.
- The sale is part of Rio's strategy of divesting assets as it looks to cut debt that reached almost $19B last year.
- Update: The sale is confirmed for $1.015B.
Oct. 1, 2013, 8:17 AM
- Edgen Group (EDG) +56.4% premarket after Sumitomo (SSUMY.PK) agrees to buy the distributor of specialty products to the energy and infrastructure markets for $12/share, a 58% premium over Monday's close.
- EDG has two commercial brands, Edgen Murray and Bourland & Leverich, and had total sales of $2.06B in 2012 with 660 employees and operations in more than 35 locations in 18 countries.
- EDG launched an IPO in April 2012, pricing at $11, below its expected $14-$16 range, and has traded below $9 for most of the time since.
Jan. 15, 2013, 2:17 PM
Sumitomo Corp. (SSUMY.PK) and Sumitomo Metal Mining (SMMYY.OB) agree to participate in a $1.7B expansion at Freeport McMoRan's (FCX) Morenci mine in Arizona to increase copper production by 43% to 400K metric tons. The Japanese companies' share in the increase will be 15%, same as their equity stake in the mine; they will bear $260M of the costs of the increase.| Jan. 15, 2013, 2:17 PM | 3 Comments
Apr. 18, 2011, 1:19 PM