J Mintzmyer • 22 Comments
Activist Stocks • 12 Comments
J Mintzmyer • 31 Comments
Tue, May 24, 12:50 PM
Tue, May 24, 9:14 AM
Tue, May 24, 8:06 AM| Tue, May 24, 8:06 AM | 52 Comments
Dec. 17, 2015, 1:38 PM
- The Guggenheim Shipping ETF (NYSEARCA:SEA) is down 7.3% on a brutal day for shippers and tankers.
- The sector has been rattled by dividend and distribution cuts at Teekay as a result of the weakening global energy market.
- Dry bulk shippers are also weaker on the day with some key executive issuing cautious comments.
- Notable decliners include Scorpio Tankers (STNG -5.1%), Diana Shipping (DSX -4.8%), Euronav (EURN -3.8%), Seaspan (SSW -4.7%), Eagle Bulk Shipping (EGLE -1.8%), Safe Bulkers (SB -3.3%), and Scorpio Bulkers (SALT -2.7%).
- Previously: Teekay LNG Partners whacks dividend by 80% (Dec. 17)
Aug. 19, 2015, 5:37 PM
Jul. 10, 2015, 10:33 AM
- Notable movers in the shipping sector include DryShips (DRYS +3.1%), Danaois (DAC +5.6%), and Paragon Shipping (PRGN +1.6%).
- Some names in the volatile sector has been trading off of developments in Greece even with many of the Greece-based companies deriving nearly all their revenue outside the nation.
- On a broader look, the Baltic Dry Index is +21 to 874. The breakdown shows the Cape index is 1279 with a spot price of 9612 vs. 11,149 a year ago, the Panamax index is 1052 with a spot price of 8380 vs. 5432 a year ago, and the Supramax index is 767 with a spot price of 8021 vs. 7099 a year ago.
- The Baltic Tanker Clean Index is 837 vs. 521 a year ago and the Baltic Dirty Index is 857 vs. 786 a year ago.
- The Guggenheim Shipping ETF (NYSEARCA:SEA) is +1.43% on the day and -4.12% YTD.
- Related stocks: TNK, EURN, TGP, NMM, SSW, SFL, TK, SMM, TOO, GMLP, DHT, NM, MATX, NAT, FREE, DSX, SB, FRO.
Sep. 16, 2014, 3:57 PM
- Ocean shipping of dry bulk commodities and oil will nearly double earnings capacity during the next several years while the smaller container ship industry will tread water, Deutsche Bank says.
- The firm believes the industry is "on the cusp of entering a new era of prosperity," driven by improved supply/demand dynamics, increased fleet utilization and abundant capital to fund profitable growth.
- On average, DB forecasts a near doubling of earnings power across its coverage universe by 2016 vs. 2013, led by shippers in the Dry Bulk and Oil trades.
- Initiated with Buy ratings: TNK +9.8%, CPLP +2.5%, DSX +2.8%, DRYS +5.5%, DLNG +2.4%, NNA +2.1%, SALT +0.8%, SSW +1.3%, GASS +3.3%.
- Started at Hold: TK +1.2%, NMM +0.3%, FRO +3.3%, TGH -0.6%.
Nov. 20, 2013, 8:50 AM
- Seaspan (SSW) -7.8% premarket after pricing its planned public offering of 3.5M common shares at $22/share.
- SSW intends to use the net proceeds from the offering for general corporate purposes, which may include funding vessel acquisitions.
Nov. 19, 2013, 5:45 PM
Oct. 11, 2013, 9:12 AM
Oct. 11, 2013, 9:11 AM
Oct. 8, 2013, 9:37 AM
Oct. 7, 2013, 4:27 PM
- Seaspan (SSW) -6.3% AH after announcing concurrent public offerings of 5.7M common shares and $125M of convertible notes due 2018; in addition to the 5.7M-share offering, a selling shareholder will offer 300K shares.
- SSW plans to use net proceeds from the primary offering and convertible note offering for general corporate purposes, which may include funding vessel acquisitions.
Mar. 6, 2013, 11:36 AM
Seaspan (SSW +4.1%) is upgraded to Neutral from Underperform with a $21 target price (from $16) at BofA, believing SSW is finally past the trough of the container shipping market overhang. The firm notes SSW's planned 25% dividend raise, improving cash flow as vessels remain under charter, and recently signed charters and contracts for sizeable vessels.| Mar. 6, 2013, 11:36 AM
Dec. 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:25 AM
Seaspan (SSW +18.5%) catches a bid after offering to tender 10M shares of common stock at a price of $15/share. Directors and execs say they will sit out the tender offer and hold on to their own shares.| Dec. 13, 2011, 10:25 AM | 1 Comment