Fri, Nov. 20, 4:38 PM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) spiked higher just before the close to end with a 2.5% gain following a Reuters report that the company might sell its Save-A-Lot unit instead of spinning it off.
- While a spinoff would be more tax-efficient for SVU, P-E firms are hoping to take advantage of a tax shield resulting from a loss in the company's $3.3B sale of Albertsons in 2013, but the buyout firms would have to convince SVU that their offers would represent better value to shareholders, according to the report.
- Save-A-Lot could be valued at more than $1.7B.
Thu, Nov. 5, 10:12 AM
- Grocery store stocks Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (NGVC -1.7%), Ingles Markets (IMKTA -1.5%), Roundy's (RNDY -0.9%), Fairway Group (FWM -1.7%), SuperValu (SVU -1.7%), and Village Super Markets (VLGEA -0.8%) all trade below broad market averages following the Whole Foods Market earnings report.
- The Whole Foods conference call may be on the mind of investors with management appearing to give up some ground on pricing and expressing confidence on the new value brand roll-out.
- Even Kroger (KR -0.2%) which has Whole Foods beat at scale and profitability is trading a bit weak. The outlier is Sprouts Farmers Market which is flying off of earnings.
- Previously: Sprouts Farmers Market flies after comps come in strong (Nov. 05 2015)
- Previously: Whole Foods Market and rivals at the crossroads (Nov. 04 2015)
Wed, Oct. 21, 10:36 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) is down 6.4% after a narrow miss with the company's sales and profit for FQ2.
- Shares hit a 52-week low of $6.63 before bouncing back just a bit.
- One of the concerns of investors is the higher SG&A expenses piling up for the grocery store operator. As a percentage of sales, the SG&A spend was up 20 bps.
- Previously: SUPERVALU misses by $0.01, misses on revenue (Oct. 21 2015)
- Previously: More on Supervalu's FQ2 (Oct. 21 2015)
Wed, Oct. 21, 9:12 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports Save-A-Lot net sales rose 3.2% to $1.09B in FQ2.
- Identical store sales for corporate stores within the the Save-A-Lot network grew 0.9%.
- Retail food sales down 1.2% to $1.09B and identical store sales dropped 3.3%.
- Independent business sales slipped 0.2% to $1.83B
- Gross profit rate increased 20 bps to 14.4%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.1%.
- Operating margin rate flat Y/Y at 2.3%.
Wed, Oct. 21, 8:05 AM
Tue, Oct. 20, 5:30 PM
Thu, Oct. 1, 5:49 PM| Thu, Oct. 1, 5:49 PM | Comment!
Sun, Sep. 20, 12:53 PM
- Publix is the latest large grocery store chain to step into the home delivery game. The private chain is using Shipt to delivery online orders to a large swath of Atlanta. Shipt offers the same type of delivery service as Peapod, Instacart, Amazon Fresh (NASDAQ:AMZN), and FreshDirect.
- Looking to keep market share, Kroger (NYSE:KR) and SuperValu (NYSE:SVU) have pick-up options for online orders and are dabbling with home delivery.
- Target (NYSE:TGT) has tipped that it would like to "test" grocery delivery in the future and already has a curbside pickup option at some stores. Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) is also testing various online grocery programs.
- Though Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM), Trader Joe's, Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ:SFM), and The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) still hold an advantage with consumers for fresh produce - analysts note the specialty grocery category is getting crowded. Whole Foods is the company with the most advanced home delivery program (1-hour in some markets) in the group.
- Data dive: Online grocery shopping is estimated to be growing at a 25% to 30% rate. Perhaps an even more important statistic is that 87% of online shoppers use more than one store for their grocery needs in a trend that could pressure pricing.
Sat, Sep. 12, 10:47 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) is poised to unlock value for shareholders with another spinoff, tip analysts.
- Telsey Advisory Group notes the company could focus on food distribution if the Save-A-Lot chain was set free. During the last Supervalu earnings call (transcript), execs said the company has begun the process of separating Save-A-Lot without setting a specific timetable.
- Uncertainty around Supervalu, including news this week of the bankruptcy of wholesale customer Haggen, has pushed shares below $8. Current valuation looks attractive to investment firms and SA contributors busy working out sum-of-the-parts math on the grocery stock. A run-up to $10-$13 could be in the works.
Mon, Aug. 10, 1:55 PM
Tue, Jul. 28, 12:40 PM
Tue, Jul. 28, 12:39 PM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) pops after the company disclosed it's considering a spinoff of the Save-A-Lot chain.
- Shares of the grocery store operator are up 18.9% to $8.75. Supervalu hasn't traded over $10 since late April.
- Guggenheim Securities is a tad cautious on the development, warning Save-A-Lot faces competitive challenges as a stand-alone.
- Tesley Advisory Group notes a spinoff leaves Supervalu without its crown jewel.
- Previously: Supervalu eyes spinoff of Save-A-Lot (Jul. 28 2015)
Tue, Jul. 28, 9:37 AM| Tue, Jul. 28, 9:37 AM | 1 Comment
Tue, Jul. 28, 8:23 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports Save-A-Lot net sales rose 3.8% to $1.41B in FQ1.
- Identical store sales for corporate stores within the the Save-A-Lot network increased 2.8%.
- Retail Food sales grew 3% to $1.47B whereas identical store sales declined 0.3%.
- Independent Business sales increased 1.7% to $2.46B
- Gross profit rate improved 60 bps to 15%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.0%.
- Operating margin rate +30 bps to 2.9%.
Tue, Jul. 28, 8:02 AM
Wed, Jun. 24, 8:46 AM
- Grocery store stocks could see some volatility after Ahold agrees to buy Delhaize.
- Retail analysts think the sector could see more M&A with the presence of larger retail chains such as Target and Wal-Mart placing some pressure on companies to scale up.
- On watch: Kroger (NYSE:KR), Supervalu (NYSE:SVU), Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY), Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA), Village Super Market (NASDAQ:VLGEA), Weis Markets (NYSE:WMK), Fairway Group Holdings (NASDAQ:FWM).
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize agree to merger
SUPERVALU Inc are wholesale distributors to independent retail customers across the United States through its Independent Business segment and the Retail Food segment. Substantially all of the Company's operations are domestic.
Other News & PR