What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Wed, Feb. 3, 8:03 AM
Fri, Jan. 29, 10:28 AM
- Grocery store stocks are early outperformers on the day.
- Supervalu (SVU +6.3%), Kroger (KR +2.6%), The Fresh Market (TFM +2.7%), SpartanNash (SPTN +2.8%), Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM +2.8%), and Whole Foods Market (WFM +3.2%) are all drawing in buyers.
- Traders are pointing to the macroeconomic climate and valuation as catalysts. Earlier, SA contributor Hawkinvest pitched the case that SVU is vastly undervalued.
Thu, Jan. 14, 7:28 AM
- Deutsche Bank downgrades Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) to a Hold rating after having the grocery stock set at Buy.
- Shares of Supervalu are down 1.6% in premarket action after plunging 15.5% yesterday with earnings disappointing.
- Previously: SUPERVALU EPS in-line, misses on revenue (Jan. 13 2016)
- Previously: More on Supervalu's FQ3 (Jan. 13 2016)
Wed, Jan. 13, 8:17 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports Save-A-Lot net sales fell 1.5% to $1.07B in FQ3.
- Identical store sales for corporate stores within the the Save-A-Lot network declined 0.4%.
- Retail food sales decreased 2.5% to $1.1B and identical store sales down 2.6%.
- Independent business sales dropped 3.5% to $1.9B
- Gross profit rate improved 50 bps to 14.6%.
- Adjusted SG&A expense rate increased 40 bps to 11.7%.
- Operating margin rate expanded 110 bps to 2.4%.
- SVU -0.91% premarket.
Wed, Jan. 13, 8:03 AM
Tue, Jan. 12, 5:30 PM| Tue, Jan. 12, 5:30 PM
Thu, Jan. 7, 2:52 PM
Dec. 7, 2015, 2:22 PM
- Select consumer staples continue to show some resiliency after last week's U.S. jobs report came in strong.
- Personal care stocks Avon Products (AVP +4%), Estee Lauder (EL +1.6%), and Elizabeth Arden (RDEN +3.2%) are all higher. Activist investors circling Avon are also a factor along with the consumer spending optimism.
- The grocery store sector is up solidly, led by Kroger (KR +2.2%), Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM +2.2%), Ingles Markets (IMKTA +0.7%), and Supervalu (SVU +1.8%). Whole Foods Market (WFM +4.3%) is also up a brisk 4.3%, although the company tiptoes the line between discretionary and staples.
- The buying action on the names above along with the strong day for the beverage sector have been enough to keep the S&P Consumer Staples ETF (NYSEARCA:XLP) in positive territory even with broad market averages lower.
- Last week: Rally mode for consumer-facing stocks (Dec. 04 2015)
- ETFs: XLP, VDC, FXG, RHS, FSTA
Dec. 3, 2015, 1:06 PM
- Moody's forecasts retail sales will improve 4% to 5% during the first half of 2016.
- Sub-sectors expected to see strong earnings growth include home improvement (HD, LOW), auto parts (AN, ORLY, AAP, PBY), and supermarkets (KR, SVU, WMK, SFS).
- Improvement is seen for the restaurant and apparel sub-sectors, although margin gains will be challenging to bring home.
- E-commerce will continue to outperform broad retail, says Moody's.
- Related ETFs: XLP, XLY, VDC, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXG, PBJ, IYK, IYC, FXD, PEJ, FDIS, RHS, FSTA, SCC, UCC, RCD, PMR, PEZ, UGE, PSL, PSCC, PSCD, SZK, BITE
Dec. 2, 2015, 9:06 AM
Nov. 20, 2015, 4:38 PM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) spiked higher just before the close to end with a 2.5% gain following a Reuters report that the company might sell its Save-A-Lot unit instead of spinning it off.
- While a spinoff would be more tax-efficient for SVU, P-E firms are hoping to take advantage of a tax shield resulting from a loss in the company's $3.3B sale of Albertsons in 2013, but the buyout firms would have to convince SVU that their offers would represent better value to shareholders, according to the report.
- Save-A-Lot could be valued at more than $1.7B.
Nov. 5, 2015, 10:12 AM
- Grocery store stocks Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (NGVC -1.7%), Ingles Markets (IMKTA -1.5%), Roundy's (RNDY -0.9%), Fairway Group (FWM -1.7%), SuperValu (SVU -1.7%), and Village Super Markets (VLGEA -0.8%) all trade below broad market averages following the Whole Foods Market earnings report.
- The Whole Foods conference call may be on the mind of investors with management appearing to give up some ground on pricing and expressing confidence on the new value brand roll-out.
- Even Kroger (KR -0.2%) which has Whole Foods beat at scale and profitability is trading a bit weak. The outlier is Sprouts Farmers Market which is flying off of earnings.
- Previously: Sprouts Farmers Market flies after comps come in strong (Nov. 05 2015)
- Previously: Whole Foods Market and rivals at the crossroads (Nov. 04 2015)
Oct. 21, 2015, 10:36 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) is down 6.4% after a narrow miss with the company's sales and profit for FQ2.
- Shares hit a 52-week low of $6.63 before bouncing back just a bit.
- One of the concerns of investors is the higher SG&A expenses piling up for the grocery store operator. As a percentage of sales, the SG&A spend was up 20 bps.
- Previously: SUPERVALU misses by $0.01, misses on revenue (Oct. 21 2015)
- Previously: More on Supervalu's FQ2 (Oct. 21 2015)
Oct. 21, 2015, 9:12 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports Save-A-Lot net sales rose 3.2% to $1.09B in FQ2.
- Identical store sales for corporate stores within the the Save-A-Lot network grew 0.9%.
- Retail food sales down 1.2% to $1.09B and identical store sales dropped 3.3%.
- Independent business sales slipped 0.2% to $1.83B
- Gross profit rate increased 20 bps to 14.4%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.1%.
- Operating margin rate flat Y/Y at 2.3%.
Oct. 21, 2015, 8:05 AM
- SUPERVALU (NYSE:SVU): FQ2 EPS of $0.13 misses by $0.01.
- Revenue of $4.06B (+0.5% Y/Y) misses by $60M.
Oct. 20, 2015, 5:30 PM
SUPERVALU Inc are wholesale distributors to independent retail customers across the United States through its Independent Business segment and the Retail Food segment. Substantially all of the Company's operations are domestic.
Other News & PR