What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Sep. 23, 2014, 8:10 AM
- Halloween spending by consumers in the U.S. is expected to rise to $11.3B this year, according to an estimate from ICSC.
- Discount stores (DG, DLTR, FDO) and grocery stores (KR, SVU, SWY, WMT, TGT) are expected to keep a lion's share of the costume spend with shoppers indicating price and the ability to touch costumes as the biggest factors in deciding where to shop.
- Halloween is one of the few calendar events where online has stayed more of a bit player with only an estimated 7% share of purchases.
Aug. 15, 2014, 5:44 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) is investigating a potential data breach that might have affected more than 1,000 of its stores.
- The attack seems to have occurred in late June or early July, and may have resulted in the theft of account numbers and other numerical information from payment cards used at the company's point-of-sale network.
- Supervalu hasn't informed customers about the incident. Merchants often don't warn customers about attacks until they know the scope of the breach.
Aug. 14, 2014, 1:01 PM
- The dollar store group (DLTR, FDO, DG, BIG) and select grocery store chains (KR, SWY, SVU) are slight out-performers on the day after Wal-Mart's (WMT +0.1%) Q2 report indicates it lost some market share in the U.S.
- Edward D. Jones analyst Brian Yarborough attributes the limp sales growth for Wal-Mart in the U.S. to the retailer's inability to nab the quick "milk and bread" runs by consumers due to the massive size of its stores.
- That line of thought is consistent with the stronger growth numbers put up lately by convenience store operators such as Circle K (OTCPK:ANCUF), 7-11, Pantry (NASDAQ:PTRY), BP Connect (NYSE:BP), On the Run (NYSE:XOM), Speedway America (NYSE:MPC), Kwik Shop (NYSE:KR), and Qwiktrip.
Jul. 24, 2014, 3:21 PM
- Supervalu's (SVU +1.9%) Q2 earnings were cut nearly in half and revenues slipped Y/Y, but shares are higher after posting strong sales gains at a discount chain it considers vital to its turnaround effort.
- In its earnings conference call, CEO Sam Duncan seized on results at the Save-A-Lot chain - whose same-store sales rose 7.2% in Q2 compared with 0.6% at SVU's other grocery stores - as a sign SVU is making strides in its rebound effort after years of weak sales trends.
- But SVU's moves to lower prices and make other improvements to the Save-A-Lot stores is cutting into profits; the company's Q2 gross margin fell to 14.4% from 15.2%; "we're not going to let the bottom fall out on this," Duncan said on the call.
Jul. 24, 2014, 9:18 AM
Jul. 24, 2014, 8:02 AM
- SUPERVALU (NYSE:SVU): FQ1 EPS of $0.18 beats by $0.01.
- Revenue of $5.23B (-0.2% Y/Y) beats by $40M.
Jun. 25, 2014, 5:46 PM
- Deutsche Bank sees tough times for Supervalu (SVU) and Safeway (SWY) if and when Amazon (AMZN) expands its AmazonFresh grocery delivery service beyond its three current test markets.
- Kroger (KR) should fare better due to its strong price positioning and weighted average market share positions, and natural/organic specialty players are better positioned to absorb AMZN’s expansion, with Whole Food (WFM) least at-risk due to its product mix, differentiated format, strong EBIT margins and very strong balance sheet.
- Morgan Stanley, however, doesn't see online as a major threat to brick and mortar food retailers after its own survey showed consumers’ interest in online ordering - either to be picked-up at store, or delivered to home - is very low.
Jun. 18, 2014, 11:52 AM
- Food stamp usage has fallen off from its peak in 2012, according to government data.
- At last count, 46.1M people are using food stamps, down 3.6% compared to the 47.8M people using the program at the high.
- SA contributor Collen Roche has some analysis on what to make of the trend.
- Stocks with food stamp relevance: DLTR, DG, FDO, FIVE, BIG, SVU, KR, WMT.
Apr. 23, 2014, 12:17 PM| Apr. 23, 2014, 12:17 PM
Apr. 23, 2014, 9:44 AM
Apr. 23, 2014, 8:04 AM
- SUPERVALU (SVU): FQ4 EPS of $0.18 beats by $0.03.
- Revenue of $3.95B (+1.5% Y/Y) beats by $70M.
Apr. 23, 2014, 12:05 AM| Apr. 23, 2014, 12:05 AM
Apr. 22, 2014, 5:30 PM| Apr. 22, 2014, 5:30 PM
Feb. 13, 2014, 9:16 AM
- Despite a sluggish reading on retail sales in the U.S. for January, a couple of categories showed some strength.
- Building materials and garden equipment sales rose 3.7% Y/Y and 1.4% M/M in what could be a good trend for Home Depot (HD) and Lowe's (LOW).
- Grocery stores (KR, SVU, SWY, DEG, IMKTA) outperformed as well, up 4% Y/Y and 0.4% M/M.
Feb. 5, 2014, 7:35 AM
Jan. 16, 2014, 9:43 AM
- A group of smaller food companies and health advocates deliver a letter to President Obama asking for tighter controls on labeling food that is genetically modified.
- The scientific community is split on the health impact of eating GMO food.
- An organization repping grocery stores (SVU, KR, SWY) opposes the measure as it could steer more traffic to organic sellers and justify their premium pricing.
- Related stocks: VLGEA, WFM, FWM, WFM, WWAV, BDBD, SFM, NGVC.
SUPERVALU Inc are wholesale distributors to independent retail customers across the United States through its Independent Business segment and the Retail Food segment. Substantially all of the Company's operations are domestic.
Other News & PR