Apr. 23, 2014, 8:04 AM
Apr. 23, 2014, 12:05 AM| Apr. 23, 2014, 12:05 AM | Comment!
Apr. 22, 2014, 5:30 PM| Apr. 22, 2014, 5:30 PM | Comment!
Feb. 13, 2014, 9:16 AM
- Despite a sluggish reading on retail sales in the U.S. for January, a couple of categories showed some strength.
- Building materials and garden equipment sales rose 3.7% Y/Y and 1.4% M/M in what could be a good trend for Home Depot (HD) and Lowe's (LOW).
- Grocery stores (KR, SVU, SWY, DEG, IMKTA) outperformed as well, up 4% Y/Y and 0.4% M/M.
Feb. 5, 2014, 7:35 AM
Jan. 16, 2014, 9:43 AM
- A group of smaller food companies and health advocates deliver a letter to President Obama asking for tighter controls on labeling food that is genetically modified.
- The scientific community is split on the health impact of eating GMO food.
- An organization repping grocery stores (SVU, KR, SWY) opposes the measure as it could steer more traffic to organic sellers and justify their premium pricing.
- Related stocks: VLGEA, WFM, FWM, WFM, WWAV, BDBD, SFM, NGVC.
Jan. 14, 2014, 11:22 AM
Jan. 14, 2014, 9:49 AM
- Retail sales were higher in the U.S. than many economists forecast as clothing stores performed well in the last week of the month on heightened promotional activity.
- Also pitching in was the grocery and beverage stores category (SWY, KR, DEG, IMKTA, SVU, LQSIF, BDL) which had its strongest month since October 2006 with a 2% gain.
Jan. 9, 2014, 7:04 AM
Jan. 9, 2014, 12:05 AM
Jan. 8, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jan. 7, 2014, 8:12 AM
- A brutal weekly reading on store sales from ICSC-Goldman is directly attributable to winter storms and "statistical noise" from the end of the year.
- Sales fell over 5% on the year-over-year comparison.
- The research firm notes that the frigid weather has cut across retail except for grocery stores (KR, SVU, SWY, DEG, IMKTA) and online sellers (OSTK, NILE, BIDZ, AMZN) which saw sales levels hold up during the week.
- Family dining restaurants (CAKE, RRGB, IRG, DIN, DENN, CBRL) saw traffic slow to a crawl due to the winter weather slam.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXD, PMR, FDIS, RCD, PEZ, PSCD
Jan. 6, 2014, 10:14 AM
- Shares of Whole Foods Market (WFM -4%) are down sharply in early trading as grocery stocks start the week off poorly.
- The move appears related in part to worries of lower store traffic and higher logistical costs for grocery store operators due to the recent winter storms in the U.S.
- Decliners: RNDY -2.4%, VLGEA -1.4%, SFM -1.1%, SWY -0.7%, FWM -2.5%, KR -0.4%, SVU -4.2%.
Dec. 12, 2013, 10:04 AM
- Retail sales showed their biggest gain since June and beat expectations after backing out auto sales.
- Automobile and housing-related categories helped drive up sales during November to make up for weakness in other areas. Furniture (LZB, ETH, HVT, PIR, BBBY) and home furnishings stores (WSM, RH, KIRK) showed an impressive 9.7% Y/Y gain. The read for Home Depot (HD -0.3%) and Lowe's (LOW -0.4%) is positive as well as their key categories looked solid.
- Grocery stores (SVU, KR, DEG, IMKTA, SFM, WFM) and clothing stores were drags during the month.
Nov. 22, 2013, 6:15 PM
- Supervalu (SVU +7.2%) discloses its CEO, CFO, and several other execs will receive major severance benefits in the event they lose their jobs following a change of control. The benefits include sizable lump sump cash payments, as well as unpaid bonus money. (8-K)
- The disclosure has raised investor hopes the debt-laden supermarket chain will find a suitor.
Nov. 21, 2013, 11:18 AM
- Grocery store and restaurants stocks are rallying in force as the two sectors see some rare momentum.
- A couple of factors could be coming into play with jobless claims lower and some key wholesale food costs moderating. A slightly more positive read on food/restaurant spending from key companies is also in the mix.
- Advancers: Safeway (SWY) +2.9%, SuperValu (SVU) +1.5%, Whole Foods Market (WFM) +1.3%, Roundy's (RNDY) +2.5%, Jack In the Box (JACK) +5.6%, BJ's Restaurants (BJRI) +3.1%, Cracker Barrel (CBRL) +2.8%, Ruth's Hospitality (RUTH) +2.5%.
SUPERVALU Inc are wholesale distributors to independent retail customers across the United States through its Independent Business segment and the Retail Food segment. Substantially all of the Company's operations are domestic.
Other News & PR