Thu, Nov. 5, 10:12 AM
- Grocery store stocks Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (NGVC -1.7%), Ingles Markets (IMKTA -1.5%), Roundy's (RNDY -0.9%), Fairway Group (FWM -1.7%), SuperValu (SVU -1.7%), and Village Super Markets (VLGEA -0.8%) all trade below broad market averages following the Whole Foods Market earnings report.
- The Whole Foods conference call may be on the mind of investors with management appearing to give up some ground on pricing and expressing confidence on the new value brand roll-out.
- Even Kroger (KR -0.2%) which has Whole Foods beat at scale and profitability is trading a bit weak. The outlier is Sprouts Farmers Market which is flying off of earnings.
- Previously: Sprouts Farmers Market flies after comps come in strong (Nov. 05 2015)
- Previously: Whole Foods Market and rivals at the crossroads (Nov. 04 2015)
Wed, Oct. 21, 10:36 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) is down 6.4% after a narrow miss with the company's sales and profit for FQ2.
- Shares hit a 52-week low of $6.63 before bouncing back just a bit.
- One of the concerns of investors is the higher SG&A expenses piling up for the grocery store operator. As a percentage of sales, the SG&A spend was up 20 bps.
- Previously: SUPERVALU misses by $0.01, misses on revenue (Oct. 21 2015)
- Previously: More on Supervalu's FQ2 (Oct. 21 2015)
Wed, Oct. 21, 9:12 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports Save-A-Lot net sales rose 3.2% to $1.09B in FQ2.
- Identical store sales for corporate stores within the the Save-A-Lot network grew 0.9%.
- Retail food sales down 1.2% to $1.09B and identical store sales dropped 3.3%.
- Independent business sales slipped 0.2% to $1.83B
- Gross profit rate increased 20 bps to 14.4%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.1%.
- Operating margin rate flat Y/Y at 2.3%.
Tue, Jul. 28, 12:40 PM
Tue, Jul. 28, 8:23 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports Save-A-Lot net sales rose 3.8% to $1.41B in FQ1.
- Identical store sales for corporate stores within the the Save-A-Lot network increased 2.8%.
- Retail Food sales grew 3% to $1.47B whereas identical store sales declined 0.3%.
- Independent Business sales increased 1.7% to $2.46B
- Gross profit rate improved 60 bps to 15%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.0%.
- Operating margin rate +30 bps to 2.9%.
Mon, May 11, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Wed, Apr. 29, 9:17 AM
Tue, Apr. 28, 9:02 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports identical-store sales for the Save-A-Lot network rose 3.6% in Q1.
- The Retail Food segment saw identical-stores sales increase 1.1%.
- Gross profit rate +20 bps to 15.1%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.0%.
- Operating earnings rate +10 bps to 3.2%.
- Previously: SUPERVALU beats by $0.03, misses on revenue
- SVU -1.3% premarket.
Thu, Mar. 5, 12:44 PM
- Strong reports from Kroger and Delhaize are helping to provide a lift for the grocery store sector.
- Earlier this week, privately-owned Publix reported comparable-store sales rose 6.4% in Q4.
- Comps are on the rise and margin gains are being squeezed out by operators off of the sales leverage.
- Solid gains for the day on strong volume are being seen up and down the group: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +4.9%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.6%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.5%, Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) +3.7%, The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +1.2%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +2.3%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +2.6%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +14.9%.
Thu, Jan. 15, 5:39 PM
Wed, Jan. 7, 8:37 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports identical stores sales were up 6.9% in FQ3 for the Save-A-Lot network and 2.3% for the company's Retail Food segment.
- Gross profit rate -10 bps to 14.1%.
- SG&A expense rate +130 bps to 12.8%.
- The mix of revenue from the Independent Business segment is now up to 46.6% following the sale last year of the Albertson's, Acme, Jewel-Osco, Shaws, and Star Market chains.
- SVU +3.9% premarket.
Wed, Jan. 7, 8:03 AM
Sep. 29, 2014, 5:54 PM
- 6 weeks after disclosing a possible June/July data breach, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) says a separate intrusion occurred in late August or early September.
- Specifically, the intruder "installed different malware into the portion of its computer network that processes payment card transactions at some of its Shop n Save, Shoppers Food & Pharmacy and Cub Foods owned and franchised stores, including some of its associated stand-alone liquor stores."
- The company insists its "enhanced protective technology significantly limited this recently discovered malware's ability to capture data from payment cards where the malware was installed." It doesn't think the malware "succeed in capturing data from any payment cards used at any stores other than at some checkout lanes at four Cub Foods franchised stores."
Jul. 24, 2014, 3:21 PM
- Supervalu's (SVU +1.9%) Q2 earnings were cut nearly in half and revenues slipped Y/Y, but shares are higher after posting strong sales gains at a discount chain it considers vital to its turnaround effort.
- In its earnings conference call, CEO Sam Duncan seized on results at the Save-A-Lot chain - whose same-store sales rose 7.2% in Q2 compared with 0.6% at SVU's other grocery stores - as a sign SVU is making strides in its rebound effort after years of weak sales trends.
- But SVU's moves to lower prices and make other improvements to the Save-A-Lot stores is cutting into profits; the company's Q2 gross margin fell to 14.4% from 15.2%; "we're not going to let the bottom fall out on this," Duncan said on the call.
Jul. 24, 2014, 9:18 AM
Apr. 23, 2014, 12:17 PM| Apr. 23, 2014, 12:17 PM | Comment!
SUPERVALU Inc are wholesale distributors to independent retail customers across the United States through its Independent Business segment and the Retail Food segment. Substantially all of the Company's operations are domestic.
Other News & PR