Thu, Jun. 9, 5:36 PM
Tue, May 24, 2:34 PM
- Retail stocks continue to do a reset ever since Wal-Mart reported strong earnings at odds with some of its peers.
- A category that performed well for Wal-Mart in Q1 was grocery in what some investors are seeing as more of a read on consumer spending habits than a market share grab from the retail giant.
- Grocery store stocks and a few convenience store names are notably out in front of broad market averages today. The list of gainers includes Village Super Market (VLGEA +6.1%), Weis Markets (WMK +2.5%), Ingles Markets (IMKTA +3.3%), Supervalu (SVU +4.3%), Kroger (KR +1.8%), Casey's General Stores (CASY +2.9%), and CST Brands (CST +2.1%),
Thu, May 19, 9:56 AM
- Grocery store stocks are higher after Wal-Mart reports solid Q1 earnings.
- The read from Bentonville is that U.S. consumers are spending on food even if they give apparel a pass.
- Gainers include Kroger (KR +1.5%), Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM +1.3%), Casey's General Stores (CASY +1.8%), Supervalu (SVU +1.1%), and Whole Foods Market (WFM +1.3%).
Mon, Mar. 7, 11:26 AM
- Grocery store stocks are ahead of broad market averages. The sector is under for watch for M&A developments, while some macroeconomic factors have also turned more favorable this year.
- Gainers today include Whole Foods Market (WFM +6.5%), The Fresh Market (TFM +2.6%), Ingles Markets (IMKTA +2.4%), Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (VLGEA +1.3%), and Supervalu (SVU +5%).
Fri, Jan. 29, 10:28 AM
- Grocery store stocks are early outperformers on the day.
- Supervalu (SVU +6.3%), Kroger (KR +2.6%), The Fresh Market (TFM +2.7%), SpartanNash (SPTN +2.8%), Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM +2.8%), and Whole Foods Market (WFM +3.2%) are all drawing in buyers.
- Traders are pointing to the macroeconomic climate and valuation as catalysts. Earlier, SA contributor Hawkinvest pitched the case that SVU is vastly undervalued.
Wed, Jan. 13, 8:17 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports Save-A-Lot net sales fell 1.5% to $1.07B in FQ3.
- Identical store sales for corporate stores within the the Save-A-Lot network declined 0.4%.
- Retail food sales decreased 2.5% to $1.1B and identical store sales down 2.6%.
- Independent business sales dropped 3.5% to $1.9B
- Gross profit rate improved 50 bps to 14.6%.
- Adjusted SG&A expense rate increased 40 bps to 11.7%.
- Operating margin rate expanded 110 bps to 2.4%.
- SVU -0.91% premarket.
Nov. 5, 2015, 10:12 AM
- Grocery store stocks Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (NGVC -1.7%), Ingles Markets (IMKTA -1.5%), Roundy's (RNDY -0.9%), Fairway Group (FWM -1.7%), SuperValu (SVU -1.7%), and Village Super Markets (VLGEA -0.8%) all trade below broad market averages following the Whole Foods Market earnings report.
- The Whole Foods conference call may be on the mind of investors with management appearing to give up some ground on pricing and expressing confidence on the new value brand roll-out.
- Even Kroger (KR -0.2%) which has Whole Foods beat at scale and profitability is trading a bit weak. The outlier is Sprouts Farmers Market which is flying off of earnings.
- Previously: Sprouts Farmers Market flies after comps come in strong (Nov. 05 2015)
- Previously: Whole Foods Market and rivals at the crossroads (Nov. 04 2015)
Oct. 21, 2015, 10:36 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) is down 6.4% after a narrow miss with the company's sales and profit for FQ2.
- Shares hit a 52-week low of $6.63 before bouncing back just a bit.
- One of the concerns of investors is the higher SG&A expenses piling up for the grocery store operator. As a percentage of sales, the SG&A spend was up 20 bps.
- Previously: SUPERVALU misses by $0.01, misses on revenue (Oct. 21 2015)
- Previously: More on Supervalu's FQ2 (Oct. 21 2015)
Oct. 21, 2015, 9:12 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports Save-A-Lot net sales rose 3.2% to $1.09B in FQ2.
- Identical store sales for corporate stores within the the Save-A-Lot network grew 0.9%.
- Retail food sales down 1.2% to $1.09B and identical store sales dropped 3.3%.
- Independent business sales slipped 0.2% to $1.83B
- Gross profit rate increased 20 bps to 14.4%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.1%.
- Operating margin rate flat Y/Y at 2.3%.
Jul. 28, 2015, 12:40 PM
Jul. 28, 2015, 8:23 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports Save-A-Lot net sales rose 3.8% to $1.41B in FQ1.
- Identical store sales for corporate stores within the the Save-A-Lot network increased 2.8%.
- Retail Food sales grew 3% to $1.47B whereas identical store sales declined 0.3%.
- Independent Business sales increased 1.7% to $2.46B
- Gross profit rate improved 60 bps to 15%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.0%.
- Operating margin rate +30 bps to 2.9%.
May 11, 2015, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Apr. 29, 2015, 9:17 AM
Apr. 28, 2015, 9:02 AM
- Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) reports identical-store sales for the Save-A-Lot network rose 3.6% in Q1.
- The Retail Food segment saw identical-stores sales increase 1.1%.
- Gross profit rate +20 bps to 15.1%.
- SG&A expense rate +20 bps to 12.0%.
- Operating earnings rate +10 bps to 3.2%.
- Previously: SUPERVALU beats by $0.03, misses on revenue
- SVU -1.3% premarket.
Mar. 5, 2015, 12:44 PM
- Strong reports from Kroger and Delhaize are helping to provide a lift for the grocery store sector.
- Earlier this week, privately-owned Publix reported comparable-store sales rose 6.4% in Q4.
- Comps are on the rise and margin gains are being squeezed out by operators off of the sales leverage.
- Solid gains for the day on strong volume are being seen up and down the group: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +4.9%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.6%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.5%, Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) +3.7%, The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +1.2%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +2.3%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +2.6%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +14.9%.
Jan. 15, 2015, 5:39 PM
SUPERVALU, Inc. engages in the distribution of food and grocery store operations. It operates through the following segments: Independent Business, Save-A-Lot, and Retail Food. The Independent Business segment engages in wholesale distribution to independently-owned retail food stores and other... More
Industry: Grocery Stores
Country: United States
Other News & PR