Tue, Jan. 26, 1:08 PM
- Trucking stocks race higher to cut into 2016 losses as traders react to some firming up in the energy sector.
- Notable gainers include Swift Transportation (SWFT +16.6%), YRC Worldwide (YRCW +11.1%), ArcBest (ARCB +10%), Heartland Express (HTLD +7%), Universal Truckload Services (UACL +6.7%), and Marten Transport (MRTN +5.6%).
- Hertz Global (HTZ +8.3%), Ryder (R +6.5%), and Avis Budget Group (CAR +8%) are also strong on the day off the some of the same optimism over demand in the U.S.
Dec. 17, 2015, 4:58 PM
- Knight Transportation (NYSE:KNX) -9% AH after cutting Q4 earnings guidance below consensus, now seeing EPS of $0.31-$0.33 vs. $0.37 analyst consensus estimate and below its prior outlook for $0.36-$0.38.
- KNX says Q4 volumes remain similar to 2014, but that it as experienced significantly fewer non-contract opportunities, resulting in revenue per total mile trending lower than originally expected which hurt EPS by $0.03-$0.04.
- Trucking peers: ODFL, YRCW, UACL, HTLD, RRTS, CGI, WERN, CVTI, MRTN, LSTR, SWFT, USAK, R, JBHT.
Dec. 2, 2015, 12:17 PM
- Transportation stocks are lower on the day on some broad macroeconomic concerns. Some BAML downgrades in the sector are also weighing on sentiment.
- Trading is notably weak in CXS Corp (CSX -2.3%), American Railcar Industries (ARII -2.6%), Kansas City Southern (KSU -1.9%), YRC Worldwide (YRCW -5.7%), Heartland Express (HTLD -3.7%), Swift Transportation (SWFT -3%), FedEx (FDX -0.9%), UPS (UPS -0.5%), Air Transport Services (ATSG -1.7%), and Matson (MATX -2.5%).
- A notable exception to the sector slide is airline stocks which are showing strength after Delta Air Lines (DAL +2.7%) reported some eye-opening capacity constraint. The major carrier increased passenger revenue per available seat mile sand load factor during November. A 3% decline in crude oil prices is also factoring in to the rally in airline stocks.
- United Continental (UAL +3.2%), Hawaiian Holdings (HA +2.9%), Southwest Airlines (LUV +2.3%), and Republic Airways Holdings (RJET +4.4%) are all solidly higher.
- The Dow Jones Transportation Average is down 0.8% off the conflicting forces of gravity.
- Related ETFs: IYT, XTN, JETS.
Jun. 24, 2015, 11:16 AM
- Select railroad and trucking stocks trade weak after Q1 GDP figures are revised in-line with expectations. A read yesterday on durable goods was weak.
- Stocks from the transportation sector drifting lower include Knight Transportation (KNX -4.5%), Swift Transportation (SWFT -5.5%), ArcBest (ARCB -3.9%), YRC Worldwide (YRCW -2.2%), Greenbrier (GBX -1.6%), Heartland Express (HTLD -2.6%), Kansas City Southern (KSU -2.2%), Celadon Group (CGI -2%), JB Hunt Transport (JBHT -2.1%), Trinity Industries (TRN -1.6%).
- FedEx (FDX -0.9%) and UPS (UPS -0.8%) are also trailing broad market averages.
Apr. 27, 2015, 3:02 PM
- Trucking stocks are notably weak today with several analyst downgrades out in the sector.
- Knight Transportation (KNX -4%) received one of the harsher actions with Wolfe Research downgrading the stock to an Underperform rating.
- Other analysts cite apprehension in the sector into key earnings reports.
- Trucking decliners: Celadon Group (CGI -3.2%), Swift Transportation (SWFT -2.8%), Heartland Express (HTLD -2.9%), Werner Enterprises (WERN -6.9%), USA Truck (USAK -6.4%), P.A.M. Transportation (PTSI -4.9%), Roadrunner Transportation Systems (RRTS -2%).
Oct. 23, 2014, 7:27 PM
- Swift Transportation's (NYSE:SWFT) Q3 operating ratio improved 90 bps to 90.9% and adjusted operating ratio improved 110 bps to 88.2%.
- Consolidated Average Operational Truck Count increased more than 500 trucks Y/Y.
- Truckload Adjusted Operating Ratio improved 290 bps Y/Y.
- Guidance: FY'14 EPS $1.29 - 1.33 vs. $1.27 consensus; FY'15 EPS $1.62 - 1.72 vs. $1.65 consensus.
- Shares +2% AH.
- Previously: Swift Transportation beats by $0.04, misses on revenue
Oct. 23, 2014, 4:24 PM
- Swift Transportation (NYSE:SWFT): Q3 EPS of $0.39 beats by $0.04.
- Revenue of $1.07B (+3.9% Y/Y) misses by $30M.
- Shares +5.6%.
Sep. 25, 2014, 3:57 PM
- Swift Transportation (SWFT +9.6%) is one of the session's few strong gainers after confirming Q3 earnings guidance of $0.33-$0.37 per share on "cautiously optimistic" results from driver wage increases.
- SWFT raised wages in early August to entice skilled drivers to join the company and end high driver turnover, and the company says driver turnover of its over-the-road fleets has since improved more than 16 percentage points Q/Q, and is now well below industry average.
- SWFT says it passed on some of the higher wage costs to its customers, and sees revenue per loaded mile excluding fuel surcharges rising 4%-5% Y/Y.
Sep. 25, 2014, 12:45 PM
Jul. 25, 2014, 2:17 PM
- Swift Transportation (SWFT -16.7%) plunges after reporting generally in-line Q2 results but projecting Q3 profit that trails analyst estimates.
- SWFT says it is being held back by a challenging driver market and turnover has been higher than anticipated.
- "You see some carriers passing on rate increases to drivers, but for whatever reason Swift has had a harder time attracting and retaining drivers," a Bloomberg analyst says.
Jul. 25, 2014, 12:45 PM
Apr. 8, 2014, 7:25 AM
- Shares of Swift Transportation (SWFT) fall in early trading after the company issues guidance below expectations.
- FQ1 EPS is forecast by Swift to be $0.11-$0.13 vs. $0.23 consensus.
- Severe weather cut into overall volume, according to the truckload carrier.
- SWFT -0.5% premarket
Dec. 16, 2013, 2:58 PM
- Deutsche Bank is out with some commentary and price target adjustments for a number of transport names. "We expect slow growth to continue well into 2014," analyst Justin Yagerman notes, but says "this is not a bad environment for earnings growth as cost inflation is generally modest and volumes are expanding, albeit at a slower-than-desired pace."
- Rundown: XPO reiterated at Buy, PT hiked to $32; ODFL upgraded to Buy from Hold, PT lifted to $59 from $49; UPS reiterated at Buy, PT raised to $123 from $100; UNP reiterated at Buy, PT hiked to $198 from $175; RRTS reiterated at Buy, PT lifted to $35 from $32; SWFT reiterated at Buy, PT raised to $29 from $22; JBHT reiterated at Buy, PT upped to $89 from $83; NSC reiterated at Hold, PT to $91 from $83; LSTR reiterated at Hold, PT hiked to $58 from $56; KNX reiterated at Hold, PT lifted to $19 from $15; ABFS reiterated at Hold, PT raised to $35 from $29; CSX reiterated at Hold, PT hiked to $28 from $25.
Apr. 22, 2013, 5:54 PM
Apr. 22, 2013, 4:24 PMSwift Transportation (SWFT): Q1 EPS of $0.21 beats by $0.05. Revenue of $856.8M misses by $9.75M. Shares +3.9% AH. (PR) | Apr. 22, 2013, 4:24 PM
Apr. 15, 2013, 12:53 PM
A tough day for the trucking sector with Swift Transportation (SWFT -8.1%) leading the downward fall. The gloom is tied to a reading of the Internet Truckstop's Market Demand Index which showed a 21% sequential fall in demand for trucks. Decliners: J.B Hunt Transportation (JBHT) -1.8%, Celadon Group(CGI) -4.2%, Marten Transport (MRTN) -3.8%, Heartland Express (HTLD) -1.1%, Knight Transportation (KNX) -1.4%.| Apr. 15, 2013, 12:53 PM | 1 Comment