Wed, Jan. 14, 4:52 PM
- Before recently shutting down, NimbleTV's service allowed pay-TV users to access content on the go (for a subscription fee) through a Web-based DVR. The startup has 13 employees, and had raised $6M in capital.
- Synacor (NASDAQ:SYNC), whose software helps power plenty of TV Everywhere services, says the acquisition is "part acqui-hire, where we are adding to Synacor a team steeped in video expertise, as well as an acquisition of technology that will enable us to deploy an authenticated, linear TV service on behalf of our clients."
- It adds Nimble will "allow Synacor to accelerate video product development and client commitments, as well as better leverage client TV rights," and provide patents that strengthen Synacor's Cloud ID TV Everywhere login solution.
- Separately, Synacor has announced it has expanded its FiOS partnership with Verizon to include Synacor's white-label home page and video search/discovery products.
Aug. 4, 2014, 5:43 PM
- Himesh Bhise, formerly the head of Comcast's New Services & Platforms unit, has been named Synacor's (NASDAQ:SYNC) CEO. Bhise is also joining Synacor's board.
- Bhise's predecessor, Rob Frankel, announced plans to step down in March once a successor was found. Frankel will remain on the board, and continue to "serve as a company advisor."
- No word yet on how activists JEC Capital and Ratio Capital feel about the hiring. Synacor's Q2 report arrives on Aug. 12.
SYNC vs. ETF Alternatives
Synacor Inctogether with its subsidiaries is engaged in providing start experiences, video solutions, identity management, and cloud-based services across multiple devices for cable, satellite, telecom and consumer electronics companies.
Other News & PR