Sep. 25, 2013, 8:32 AM
- Target (TGT) rolls out its new digital Target Ticket today as it looks to fill a role as a streaming option for family-friendly content.
- The service will feature over 30K titles with rentals as low as $0.99.
- The 48-hour viewing window for Target Ticket content is longer than some rival services.
Sep. 24, 2013, 12:27 PM
- Spending on Halloween is projected to fall 6% to $75.03 per family celebrating, according to projections from the National Retail Federation.
- The overall number of people celebrating the holiday is expected to dip close to 7% this year to 158M.
- Halloween-related stocks: Hershey (HSY), Target (TGT), Wal-Mart (WMT), Kraft Foods (KRFT), CVS Caremark (CVS), Costco (COST), and Rite Aid (RAD).
Sep. 24, 2013, 9:57 AM
Sep. 20, 2013, 1:33 PM
Sep. 17, 2013, 8:22 AM
- ShopperTrak estimates holiday season retail sales will rise 2.4% Y/Y on lower store traffic.
- The firm sees electronics and appliance-store sales (BBY, CONN, HGG) outperforming, while retailers with strong e-commerce integration (M, GPS, URBN), could hold up better than peers.
- A calendar shift this year reduces the number of shopping days between Black Friday and Christmas to 25, putting pressure on superstores (WMT, TGT, COST) to ring up sales during the shortened period.
- Related ETFs: XRT, RTH, PMR, RETL.
Sep. 17, 2013, 4:44 AM
- U.S. retail store sales are expected to slow to +2.4% during November and December from +3% last year and +4% in 2011, research firm ShopperTrak has estimated.
- Store visits are forecast to drop 1.4% after rising 2.5% in 2012.
- "Although the economy continues to recover slowly, consumers remain cautious about spending and are not ready to splurge," ShopperTrak founder Bill Martin said.
- It's worth noting that online sales - accounting for 7% of the total - aren't included in the projections, while ShopperTrak forecasts tend to undershoot.
- Related tickers: COST, WMT, SHLD, M, JCP, TGT, BBY, ODP, BBBY, SPLS, OMX.
Sep. 12, 2013, 12:46 PM| Sep. 12, 2013, 12:46 PM | 6 Comments
Sep. 12, 2013, 8:42 AM
- Target Corporation (TGT) declares $0.43/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 2.65%
- Payable Dec. 10; for shareholders of record Nov. 20; ex-div Nov. 18.
Sep. 6, 2013, 9:11 AM
Sep. 3, 2013, 12:10 PM
- Target's (TGT +0.4%) new movie service will launch this fall, according to reports.
- The company plans to adopt a purchase/rental model for movies and TV shows - instead of being a subscription service.
- Deals have already been lined up with major programmers to keep Target Ticket stocked with relevant titles.
Aug. 28, 2013, 10:50 AM
- Retail traffic to U.S. stores has declined in 8 out of the last 10 weeks, according to data compiled from ShopperTrak.
- Though a few on-trend firms such as Michael Kors (KORS +0.1%) and Express (EXPR +8.5%) are still firing on all cylinders, and a heat wave in the Midwest has had an effect, the overall trend for the back-to-school season and holiday season looks weak.
- Analysts also think consumers are likely to pick up their reliance on deals as discretionary spending on housing and automobiles "crowds out" normal outlays.
- Related ETFs: XRT, RTH, PMR, RETL.
- Related stocks: APP, AEO, ANF, AZO, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, FDO, FL, GPS, HD, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LTD, LULU, M, NDN, ODP, ORLY, PIR, RGS, RL, SKS, SPLS, TGT, TIF, TJX, UA, UNFI, URBN, VFC, WMT, WRC, ZLC.
Aug. 28, 2013, 5:07 AM
- After almost two decades of Internet shopping in which Amazon has become a behemoth, many major bricks and mortar retailers are still struggling to take advantage, as new correspondence with the SEC shows.
- Target (TGT), for example, told investors last week that its digital sales have grown by double digits, but when pressed by the SEC, said they're an "immaterial amount of total sales."
- Fifth & Pacific (FNP) has told investors that it's "ravenously growing business in e-commerce," but then said that providing a specific figure wasn't "relevant to investors."
- The SEC has also queried the claims of Wal-Mart (WMT), which now predicts 2013 online revenue of $10B vs consensus estimates for total sales of $481.52B, and PetSmart (PETM).
- Retailers argue that because customers use the Internet and stores to make purchases, in the words of Target's Casey Carl, "it doesn't make sense to delineate between whether it's an online or in-store sale."
Aug. 26, 2013, 10:46 AM
- A consumer paradigm shift toward "things that last" could disrupt the critical holiday shopping season, according to retail analysts.
- After a Q2 which saw Home Depot (HD), Lowe's (LOW), Best Buy (BBY), hhgregg (HGG), and Conn's (CONN) report solid sales for appliances, a fresh forecast from IBM sees much of the same for H2 with discretionary spending tightening for apparel and incidentals.
- Looking for the trend to end: AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, JCP, JWN, KSS, LTD, M, NDN, NKE, PIR, PLCE, RL, RSH, SKS, SPLS, TGT, TIF, TJX, URBN, WMT, WSM, BKE, PSUN, ZUMZ, EXPR
Aug. 26, 2013, 7:57 AM
- A scorching heat wave in the Midwest will continue throughout the week in a development which could trim back-to-school spending excursions, warns Brian Sozzi.
- Lower store traffic could wreak havoc on inventory with many retailers banking on using school supplies as a loss leader to help boost apparel and computer/tablet sales.
- Looking for relief: SPLS, OMX, ODP, TGT, WMT.
Aug. 22, 2013, 12:00 PM
- At first glance the move by UPS to cut health benefits for employees' spouses looks controversial, but the plan doesn't apply to 250K workers who are either in the Teamsters union or work outside the U.S.
- Analysts think that with the Obama administration sure to get much of the flak over the measure and the Teamsters calm, other large companies could follow the lead of UPS.
- Companies with the most employees: Wal-Mart (WMT) 2.2M, Yum Brands (YUM) 523K, McDonald's (MCD) 440K, IBM (IBM) 434K, UPS (UPS) 399K, Target (TGT) 361K, Kroger (KR) 343K.
Aug. 22, 2013, 7:09 AM
Target Corp. engages in owning and operating of general merchandise stores. It also operates SuperTarget stores with a line of food and general merchandise items and offers an assortment of general merchandise, including many items found in the company's stores and a complementary assortment,... More
Industry: Discount, Variety Stores
Country: United States
Other News & PR