What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Jan. 3, 2015, 7:51 PM
- The intense competition in retail over free shipping policies is expected to bring some pain to Q4 margins as big box and e-commerce firms scrap for market share, warn analysts.
- ComScore reports that free delivery on online purchases rose to 68% in 2014, up from 44% last year.
- Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN): 2014 shipping costs were up 32% through Q3. That mark comes before a holiday season in which the company says it saved customers a mere $2B in shipping fees.
- Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT): The Bentonville giant has already warned investors it will spend heavily on e-commerce and fulfillment center expansion as it eyes +30% growth in online sales. The company may have difficulty dialing back its free delivery policies, say industry insiders.
- Target (NYSE:TGT): Wolfe Research projects a 1% shift in Target sales to e-commerce cuts into the firm's profit margin by 5 bps.
- What to watch: Online sales rose 16% in Q3 vs. 4% for broad retail, a differential that is expected to have widened in Q4. Retailers with a sharp shift in mix to online could have trouble hitting consensus EPS estimates.
- Related stocks: BBY, DKS, CAB, SPLS, TJX, BIG.
- Related ETFs: XLP, XLY, VDC, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXG, IYK, FXD, IYC, FDIS, RHS, SCC, FSTA, UCC, PMR, UGE, RCD, PEZ, PSCD, SZK
Dec. 22, 2014, 10:15 AM
- Cowen Research thinks off-price retailers could benefit from the slowdown at West Coast ports.
- TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX), Ross Stores (NASDAQ:ROST), Stein Mart (NASDAQ:SMRT), and Burlington Stores (NYSE:BURL) all fall in that category.
- Related: West Coast port slowdown weighs on retailers and shippers (Dec. 19, 2014)
Dec. 10, 2014, 1:18 PM
- The TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX) declares $0.175/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 1.07%
- Payable March 5; for shareholders of record Feb. 12; ex-div Feb. 10.
Dec. 4, 2014, 10:31 AM
- Shares of Destination Maternity (DEST -7.8%) slide after the company misses earnings estimates.
- A frank assessment from the company on a misfire with its assortment to millennial-aged moms-to-be strikes a bit of a chord across the apparel and department store sector.
- Many of the earnings hits and misses this quarter have been tied to on-trend or off-trend assortments. A millennial group which is hard to nail down is becoming a bigger part of that puzzle.
- Apparel stocks: KATE, ANN, LULU, RL, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, KORS, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, RL, ARO, AEO, ANF, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, ZUMZ, PSUN, EXPR, BKE, KORS, UA, GIII, SQBG, HBI, SKX, FL, VRA, ICON, NKE, WWW, DECK, CROX, SHOO, BWS, PERY, DXLG, SHLD, BONT, GPS, GES, URBN, TJX.
Dec. 3, 2014, 10:59 AM
Nov. 18, 2014, 9:16 AM
- TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX) reports comparable-store sales rose 2% in Q3.
- Segment comp growth: Marmaxx +1%, HomeGoods +7%, TJX Canada +3%, TJX Europe -1%.
- Pre-tax profit margin +40 bps to 13.0%.
- Gross profit margin rate +10 bps to 29.4%.
- Guidance: Full-year EPS of $3.09-$3.13 vs. $3.10-$3.18 prior and $3.17 consensus.
- TJX -1.3% premarket.
Nov. 18, 2014, 8:51 AM
- TJX (NYSE:TJX): Q3 EPS of $0.85 in-line.
- Revenue of $7.4B (+6.0% Y/Y) in-line.
- Shares -2% PM.
Nov. 17, 2014, 5:30 PM
Nov. 14, 2014, 8:31 AM
- Canaccord Genuity downgrades TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX) and Ross Stores (NASDAQ:ROST) to Sell after previously having the discounters slotted at Hold.
- The investment firm thinks Street estimates are too high on Ross and that valuation on TJX has outrun earnings growth.
- Premarket: TKX -1.1%, ROST -0.1%.
Oct. 12, 2014, 11:50 AM
- A survey from Cowen Research indicates traffic trends in off-price retail will hold up with high-end consumers.
- The investment firm also notes cheaper gas prices could be supportive to the sector into 2015 with lower-end consumers freed up to spend a bit more.
- What to watch: Retailers which sell largely in the U.S. are tipped by Atlanta Capital Management to out-perform due to expectations for a strong U.S. dollar. Most off-price retailers fall into that category.
- Off-price retailer stocks: ROST, TJX, DSW, BIG, SMRT, OSTK, BURL.
Sep. 24, 2014, 8:13 AM
- Retail sales could increase by 4.5% to $986B this holiday season on an improved macroeconomic backdrop, forecasts Deloitte Touche.
- The mark would easily top last year's 2.8% rise.
- Online sales are tipped to rise by 14%.
- Promotional activity across broad retail has been dialed back a touch during the back-to-school season, but is still a risk to margins heading into the crucial shopping period.
- What to watch: This holiday season could be an operational pressure cooker for UPS (NYSE:UPS) and FedEx (NYSE:FDX) with demand expected to be high.
- Related stocks: AAP, AEO, ANF, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, FDO, FL, GPS, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, LULU, M, NDN, PIR, RL, TGT, TIF, TJX, UA, URBN, VFC, WMT, ZLC, PERY, SQBG, VNCE, KORS, GIII, KATE, GIL, VRA, ICON, PSMT, AMZN.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, IYK, FXD, FDIS, PMR, UGE, RCD, SZK
Sep. 11, 2014, 2:00 PM
- TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX) declares $0.175/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 1.16%
- Payable Dec. 4; for shareholders of record Nov. 13; ex-div Nov. 11.
Aug. 21, 2014, 10:46 AM
- Yoga apparel sales grew 45% last year while participation in yoga the sport was only up 4.5%, according to industry tracking.
- The disparity indicates the impressive momentum built up by the athleisure category is beyond just a fad.
- Barclays forecasts that the broader retail athletic apparel market will grow by around 50% to exceed $100B by 2020.
- The trend is positive for early adopters Lululemon (NASDAQ:LULU), Under Armour (NYSE:UA), Gap (NYSE:GPS), Nike (NYSE:NKE) - while a host of other retailers (LB, DKS, TJX, TGT) and department store chains (KS, BONT, DDS, M, JCP) say they will try to carve out space in the athleisure market for themselves.
- On tap: Designers have their eyes on creating more men's lines and hybrid yoga-business outfits that will fly in the C-suite.
Aug. 19, 2014, 8:52 AM
- TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX) reports consolidate comparable-store sales rose 3% in Q2.
- Consolidated pretax profit margin +30 bps to 12.3%.
- SG&A expense ratio -50 bps to 16.2%.
- Inventory +1% to $3.4B.
- Comp growth by division: Marmaxx +2%; HomeGoods +5%; TJX Canada +3%; TJX Europe +6%.
- Guidance: Full-year EPS of $3.10-$3.18 expected vs. $3.14 consensus.
- TJX +4.3% premarket
Aug. 19, 2014, 8:35 AM
- TJX (NYSE:TJX): Q2 EPS of $0.75 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $6.91B (+7.3% Y/Y) beats by $30M.
Aug. 18, 2014, 5:30 PM
TJX Companies Inc is an off-price apparel and home fashions retailer in the United States and other countries. Its stores offer family apparel, including footwear & accessories; home fashions, such as home basics, accent furniture, lamps, among others.
Other News & PR