Tilly's: Everything That Is Wrong With Mall Retail
Tilly's: What Stems The Decline?
Tilly's Is Worth Keeping An Eye On
Tilly's Is An Overvalued Fad Retailer
Thu, Mar. 17, 12:49 PM
Fri, Mar. 11, 10:54 AM
- The solid week for specialty retail continues after a majority of earnings report come in ahead of expectations.
- Ulta Salon (ULTA +16%) and Party City (PRTY +7.1%) were the headliners, but a host of companies realized stronger pricing than anticipated during the quarter to help offset weak traffic trends.
- Retail sector movers include FTD Companies (FTD +6.1%), Pier 1 Imports (PIR +2.3%), Sally Beauty Holdings (SBH +2.4%), Five Below (FIVE +2%), Stein Mart (SMRT +5.7%), Buckle (BKE +2.5%), Urban Outfitters (URBN +2.2%), and Tilly's (TLYS +2.9%) .
Tue, Jan. 26, 1:18 PM
- Mall stocks are solidly ahead of broad market averages as investors key off today's strong read on consumer confidence. A decent report from Redbook on chain store sales is also in the mix.
- Gap (GPS +4.7%), American Eagle Outfitters (AEO +4.8%), Tilly's (TLYS +5.8%), Children's Place (PLCE +4.5%), Buckle (BKE +5.3%), and Urban Outfitters (URBN +3.7%) are all taking back ground lost earlier this year.
- The gains are slightly less for department store chains J.C. Penney (JCP +2.4%), Kohl's (KSS +2.6%), and Macy's (M +2.7%).
- Best Buy (BBY +3.5%) and Target (TGT +2.3%) are also trying to break out.
- Previously: Consumer confidence improves 1.8 points in January (Jan. 26)
- Previously: Weather plays a mixed role (Jan. 26)
Thu, Jan. 7, 10:14 AM
- A large number of retail stocks are defying the global market sell-off to put in strong gains.
- The unexpected strength follows a few store chains reporting solid holiday sales growth, headlined by L Brands with a stellar 8% comp. The underlying story behind the good read may be that $2 gas prices are helping to feed consumer spending at U.S. store chains.
- Gasbuddy.com forecasts gas prices will stay low in the U.S. for all of 2016.
- Notable gainers include Wal-Mart (WMT +2%), Target (TGT +1%), Gap (GPS +2.3%), Fred's (FRED +1.2%), Express (EXPR +1.1%), American Eagle Outfitters (AEO +1.6%), Tilly's (TLYS +2.3%), Urban Outfitters (URBN +4%), TJX Companies (TJX +0.6%), Ross Stores (ROST +1.6%), Kohl's (KSS +2%), Stein Mart (SMRT +4.4%), Citi Trends (CTRN +1.7%), Buckle (BKE +4.8%).
- Related ETFs: XLP, XLY, VDC, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXG, FXD, FDIS, RHS, FSTA, RCD, PMR, BITE
Oct. 7, 2015, 4:52 PM
- Dan Griesemer is resigning as Tilly's (NYSE:TLYS) CEO and from the board, effective today. Ed Thomas, the apparel retailer's co-CEO from 2005-2007 and until recently CEO of The Wet Seal, is Tilly's new CEO and will be taking Griesemer's board seat, effective Oct. 12.
- Chairman Hezy Shaked: "Based on his track record, extensive industry experience and depth of insight into Tilly's, Ed is uniquely qualified for this position. In addition to his broad-ranging operational and strategic experience, Ed's leadership skills and passion make him the ideal choice to lead Tillys into the future..."
- Shares have risen to $8.00 after hours. Tilly's closed today just $1.10 above a 52-week low of $6.65.
Aug. 26, 2015, 5:35 PM
Aug. 26, 2015, 4:15 PM
- Tilly's (NYSE:TLYS) reports comparable-store sales rose 1.2% in Q2.
- The company's gross margin rate was 80 bps higher than a year ago at 29.0% on a trend toward lower costs and improved product margin.
- Guidance: Tilly's sees comps running at a low single-digit rate in Q3. EPS of $0.12-$0.16 is expected vs. $0.19 consensus.
- TLYS -3.55% after hours.
Jun. 2, 2015, 1:17 PM
- Retail chain stocks are putting in some strong gains despite a soft read earlier in the day from Redbook on sales.
- PVH issued a strong report last night which helped push the sector in the right direction, but there also appears to be some speculative buying on some names in the sector after Macy's was reported to be under pressure to explore REIT options.
- Previously: Macy's hearing from hedge funds on real estate assets
- Gainers: Guess (NYSE:GES) +5.1%, Tilly's (NYSE:TLYS) +4.4%, Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE:ANF) +5.7%, Kohl's (NYSE:KSS) +1.6%, J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP) +2.9%, Bon-Ton Stores (NASDAQ:BONT) +4.6%, Stein Mart (NASDAQ:SMRT) +2.7%, Sears Hometown and Outlet Stores (NASDAQ:SHOS) +2.4%, Conn's (NASDAQ:CONN) +5.8%, Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) +1.7%, hhgregg (NYSE:HGG) +2.8%.
May 28, 2015, 10:37 AM
- Shares of Tilly's (TLYS -22.5%) are under pressure after a soft outlook from the company for Q2 scares off investors.
- Tilly's set Q2 EPS guidance at $0.01-$0.05 vs. $0.08 consensus off an estimated comp sales range of -2% to +2%.
- Once again, soft mall traffic was a factor for Tilly's in Q1.
- A number of investment firms have chopped their own estimates on Tilly's following the report.
- Previously: Tilly's beats by $0.01, misses on revenue
Apr. 22, 2015, 2:41 PM
- Shares of Tilly's (TLYS +1.7%) have recovered a bit after the disclosure of the resignation of the company's CFO created some selling pressure earlier this week.
- Tilly's has had a strong year with a majority of investment firms covering the retailer raising EPS estimates.
- Much of the optimism is centered on the e-commerce investments made by the company which are expected to start paying off this year.
Apr. 10, 2015, 11:40 AM
- Shares of Tilly's (TLYS -6.3%) are showing an outsized reaction to a minor Wall Street downgrade in an indication that there's some apprehension about current levels.
- B. Riley moved to Neutral from Buy on some valuation concerns after Tilly's ran up a 59% YTD gain.
- Tilly's guided for a low single digit Q1 comp and will probably need to meet or beat that to avoid some more selling pressure.
- Management at Tilly's has drawn praise for maintaining solid margins.
Mar. 19, 2015, 10:21 AM
- Tilly's (TLYS +10.7%) trades higher after the company turned in a solid Q4 earnings report.
- Operating income rose 31.8% to $11.2M during the period.
- Comparable-store sales were up 2.9%.
- The company expects Q1 EPS of $0.03 to $0.05 vs. $0.04 consensus.
Mar. 18, 2015, 4:22 PM
- Tilly's (NYSE:TLYS): Q4 EPS of $0.25 beats by $0.03.
- Revenue of $152.81M (+9.2% Y/Y) beats by $1.05M.
- Shares +2.46%.
Jan. 13, 2015, 12:45 PM
Dec. 3, 2014, 5:39 PM
Dec. 3, 2014, 4:31 PM
- Tilly's (NYSE:TLYS): Q3 EPS of $0.18 beats by $0.07.
- Revenue of $131.28M (+6.1% Y/Y) beats by $6.1M.
- Shares +18.81% AH.
Tilly's, Inc. operates a chain of specialty retail stores featuring casual clothing, footwear and accessories for teens and young adults. The company offers West Coast inspired apparel, footwear and accessories. Its merchandise includes assortment of brands, styles, colors, sizes and price... More
Sector: Consumer Goods
Industry: Apparel Stores
Country: United States
Other News & PR