Wed, Nov. 30, 12:11 PM
- Those getting mortgages prior to last few weeks were "likely the last" to lock in at historically low rates, says the NAR's Larry Yun following this morning's disappointing Pending Home Sales report.
- That report was for October, but in more current news, mortgage applications dove another 9.4% in the week ended Nov. 25 (seasonally adjusted). They've been on a downward track for a few weeks, with the speed mostly picking up amid the sharp rise in rates since the election.
- Turning to rates, the 10-year Treasury yield is carving out a new 12-month-plus high, up 11 basis points to 2.40%.
- The S&P 500 is flat, but the ITB is down 1.8%, and XHB 1.2%.
- Toll Brothers (TOL -2.1%), Lennar (LEN -3.4%), Pulte (PHM -1.8%), D.R. Horton (DHI -3.8%), M.D.C. Holdings (MDC -2.1%), Taylor Morrison (TMHC -1.5%)
Thu, Nov. 17, 11:43 AM
- This morning's housing starts for October was off the charts - rising 25.5% from September to the fastest pace in nine years. Stripping out the notoriously volatile multifamily starts still leaves single family starts up 10.2% from September.
- Of course, interest rates continue to rise - with the 10-year Treasury yield up another three basis points to 2.26% - but the builders can worry about that another time.
- The S&P 500 is ahead 0.35%, with the homebuilders are outperforming by a mile.
- Toll Brothers (TOL +2.9%), LGI Homes (LGIH +6.2%), Taylor Morrison (TMHC +3.5%), KB Home (KBH +2.4%), Lennar (LEN +2.5%), Hovnanian (HOV +1.4%), Pulte (PHM +2.7%), D.R. Horton (DHI +3.2%), NVR (NVR +1.8%)
Wed, Nov. 2, 6:58 AM
Tue, Nov. 1, 5:30 PM
- ABC, ADP, AGN, ALKS, AMSC, ANTM, ARCC, ARCO, ASC, BABA, BAH, BDC, BG, BTE, CBB, CCJ, CDK, CDW, CEVA, CLH, CLX, CRL, CRTO, CSTE, DLPH, DNOW, DOC, EE, EL, EMES, FLWS, FUN, GLDD, GPT, HCN, HEP, HSIC, HST, HYH, INGR, INXN, IPI, JLL, KATE, MMP, MNTA, MVIS, NRZ, NS, NSM, NVMI, NWN, NYT, ODP, OMAM, ORBC, ORBK, OZM, PCRX, Q, SABR, SBGI, SE, SEP, SHOP, SJR, SNAK, SNR, SRE, STE, STWD, SUM, TEL, TGNA, TMHC, TOWR, TRP, TWX, VER, VMC, VOYA, VSI, WD, YELP, ZTS
Tue, Nov. 1, 9:59 AM
- Discussions about homebuilding M&A have been picking up of late, says analyst Will Randow, and he expects the next deal will likely be one public company acquiring another, rather than a smaller private player.
- "Aside from the normal benefits of M&A, we believe larger public builders may be more inclined to acquire the young (i.e. smaller public) given the slower paced recovery environment that exhibits lower pricing power," says Randow, who picks D.R. Horton (NYSE:DHI) as best-positioned to be a buyer.
- Other possible acquirers include: KB Home (NYSE:KBH), Meritage (NYSE:MTH), PulteGroup (NYSE:PHM), Toll Brothers (NYSE:TOL), and TRI Pointe (NYSE:TPH).
- Potential targets: Century Communities (NYSE:CCS), Green Brick Partners (NASDAQ:GRBK), M.D.C. Homes (NYSE:MDC), Meritage (also on the buyer list), New Home (NYSE:NWHM), Taylor Morrison (NYSE:TMHC), UCP, William Lyon (NYSE:WLH).
- Randow's top accretive scenario ... TRI Pointe buying William Lyon.
Tue, Sep. 20, 12:25 PM
- Lennar (NYSE:LEN) was initially higher following this morning's earnings beat, but has turned lower by 4.3% amid cautious earnings call comments on margins.
- Also at work is today's housing starts report which showed an unexpected sharp decline from July to August, with single-family starts dropping to a 10-month low.
- ITB -1.4%, XHB -0.9%
- Hovnanian (HOV -0.9%), KB Home (KBH -1.4%), Pulte (PHM -3.2%), D.R. Horton (DHI -1.2%), Toll Brothers (TOL -1.4%), Taylor Morrison (TMHC -2.5%), LGI Homes (LGIH -1.3%)
Mon, Aug. 29, 4:29 PM
Wed, Aug. 3, 6:58 AM
Tue, Aug. 2, 5:30 PM
- AAWW, AFAM, ALE, APO, ARCC, ARCO, ARQL, ATHM, ATRO, AVA, CDK, CDW, CEVA, CLDT, CLH, CLX, CRL, CROX, CRTO, CSTE, CWEI, D, DDD, DIN, DLPH, DM, DNOW, DOC, EE, ENR, FCPT, FUN, GEL, HFC, HUM, HYH, ICE, ING, INSY, INXN, IRT, KATE, KLIC, LINC, LMOS, MDC, MEMP, MFA, MTOR, NBL, NSM, NVMI, ODP, ORBK, OXY, PERI, POR, RRD, SBGI, SC, SCMP, SE, SHOP, SMG, SMP, SPR, SR, SUM, TMHC, TWX, USAK, VER, VIRT, VOYA, VSI, WD, XEL, ZTS
Tue, Jun. 7, 2:31 PM
- The major averages are up modestly, but the homebuilders (ITB +2.2%) are posting sharp gains, helped by a report Elliot Management has taken a stake in PulteGroup. Pulte is leading the way with a 4.6% advance.
- Toll Brothers (TOL +3%), Hovnanian (HOV +3.9%), KB Home (KBH +3%), Lennar (LEN +3.1%), Taylor Morrison (TMHC +3.8%), D.R. Horton (DHI +2.7%)
Wed, May 4, 6:56 AM
- Taylor Morrison (NYSE:TMHC): Q1 EPS of $0.21 misses by $0.01.
- Revenue of $645M (+26.6% Y/Y) beats by $39.42M.
Tue, May 3, 5:30 PM
- AFAM, ARCC, ARCO, ARQL, ASC, ATRO, AVA, AYR, BDC, BUD, CDW, CHH, CLH, CPK, CRK, CRL, CRTO, CRZO, CSTE, D, DLPH, DNOW, ECYT, EE, ENR, FUN, GEL, GNRC, GTE, HAIN, HE, HFC, HSC, HSNI, HTWR, HYH, ICE, INXN, IONS, IRT, KATE, KLIC, LGND, MEMP, MFA, MMP, MOS, MPW, MTOR, NBL, NGS, NJR, NRZ, NVMI, NXTM, OMF, ONCE, ORBK, PCG, PCLN, RDC, RDS.A, SBGI, SCMP, SE, SERV, SHOP, SMP, SPAR, SR, SRE, SSTK, STRA, TGH, TGI, TMHC, TREE, TWX, VIRT, VOYA, VSI, WD, WIX, ZTS
Wed, Mar. 9, 11:34 AM
- The seller of 410 acres adjacent to the Desert Ridge master plan community is the Arizona State Land Department, and the buyer at auction is a joint venture between Taylor Morrison Home (NYSE:TMHC) and Pulte Homes (NYSE:PHM). Development on about 1.2K lots is expected to begin about one year from now.
Tue, Mar. 8, 9:39 AM| Tue, Mar. 8, 9:39 AM
Wed, Feb. 3, 6:58 AM
- Taylor Morrison (NYSE:TMHC): Q4 EPS of $0.53 beats by $0.01.
- Revenue of $970M (-4.0% Y/Y) misses by $14.99M.
Tue, Feb. 2, 5:30 PM