Wed, Oct. 5, 8:43 AM
Apr. 13, 2015, 1:06 PM
- Wal-Mart's (WMT) strategy to increasing pricing pressure on suppliers is likely to be felt by some consumer products giants.
- Though larger suppliers have more leverage with Wal-Mart than smaller companies, an impact on margins could still be felt.
- Listed below are the estimated annual revenue and percentage of total revenue derived from the Bentonville retail giant for some CPG firms.
- Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG): $12B to mark 14% of total revenue.
- PepsiCo (NYSE:PEP): $8B, 12% of total revenue.
- Kraft Foods (NASDAQ:KRFT): $4.7B, 26% of total revenue.
- Kellogg (NYSE:K): $3.1B, 21% of total revenue.
- Campbell Soup (NYSE:CPB): $1.6B, 19% of total revenue.
- J.M. Smucker (NYSE:SJM): $2.35B, 30% of total revenue.
- Clorox (NYSE:CLX): $1.5B, 26% of total revenue.
- Hillshire Brands (NYSE:TSN): $1.1B, 27% of total revenue.
- Keurig Green Mountain (NASDAQ:GMCR): $799M, 17% of total revenue.
- Energizer (NYSE:ENR): $748M, 17.2% of total revenue.
- Tootsie Roll (NYSE:TR): $129M. 23.7% of total revenue.
- Data compiled by the Cincinnati Enquirer
Mar. 18, 2015, 3:16 PM
- Tootsie Roll (TR +0.5%) is seen as a likely takeout target with more shareholders pressuring the Gordon family to sell the struggling candy seller free.
- Berkshire's See Candies division has been mentioned by analysts as a potential acquirer.
- Shares of Tootsie Roll are up 8.3% YTD.
Feb. 19, 2015, 3:06 PM
- New recommendations from the USDA's Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee call for reduced consumption of sugar in the U.S. in order to help alleviate obesity.
- A tax on foods with high sugar content has been part of the discussion.
- Analysis from the group on sugar supplement aspartame was mixed.
- The consumption of sodas by children is of particular concern to the group which also issued broader guidelines on dietary health.
- Food lobbyists are expected to challenge some of the proposals.
- Related stocks: KRFT, MDLZ, PEP, KO, HSY, RMCF, MNST, TR.
Jan. 21, 2015, 1:03 PM| Jan. 21, 2015, 1:03 PM | 7 Comments
Aug. 22, 2012, 5:26 PM
Tootsie Roll (TR) management has largely cut itself off from the world, shunning journalists and refusing to hold quarterly earnings calls, but at some point a sale makes sense, a Gabelli analyst says. But with anemic growth and shrinking profit margins in recent years, and the lack of a publicly disclosed succession plan for the 92-year-old CEO, no one really knows what's next.| Aug. 22, 2012, 5:26 PM | 1 Comment
Aug. 29, 2011, 10:39 AM
TRW Automotive (TR +6.4%) gains after a report says the cost of collision-avoidance systems utilizing radar and cameras will be low enough to be mass produced shortly. A TRW rep predicts in 10 years every car will be equipped with a forward-looking camera to assist drivers.| Aug. 29, 2011, 10:39 AM
Jul. 25, 2010, 10:15 AM
London-based hedge fund manager Anthony Ward has "chocolate lovers crying into their Cadbury wrappers" and candy makers on edge after cornerning the market in cocoa, buying a market-moving 7% of annual global production and helping drive cocoa prices to a 30-year high.| Jul. 25, 2010, 10:15 AM | 1 Comment