Mon, Sep. 19, 1:35 PM
- Unilever (UN, UL) announces it acquired Seventh Generation for an undisclosed amount.
- Seventh Generation is a seller of natural and eco-friendly products, including green baby items (diapers, wipres, skin care, laundry).
- "Adding Seventh Generation to Unilever’s portfolio of purpose-driven brands like Ben & Jerry’s and Dove demonstrates our continued commitment to the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan," says the company.
- Unilever press release
Wed, Jul. 20, 8:48 AM
- Unilever (UL, UN) confirms it acquired Dollar Shave Club. The company didn't disclose the transaction price, but earlier reports pegged it at $1B which would make the deal the third largest buyout in the e-commerce space ever after Zulilly and Wayfair. The transaction is also an exclamation point on the disruption that Dollar Shave Club achieved in a consumer products category once considered nearly impenetrable.
- The innovative shaving club sends razors directly to members for as little as $1 per month. Dollar Shave Club is on track to top $200M in turnover this year and has 3.2M members.
- Earlier this week, news broke that Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG) is increasing its testing of online subscriptions. It's a trend to watch for Colgate-Palmolive (NYSE:CL), Kimberly-Clark (NYSE:KMB), and Edgewell Personal Care (NYSE:EPC).
- Previously: Fortune: Unilever buys Dollar Shave Club for $1B (July 20)
Oct. 2, 2015, 11:19 AM
Sep. 21, 2014, 4:17 AM
- Just months before its recent C-suite shuffle, Clorox (NYSE:CLX) reportedly rebuffed a takeover offer from a rival.
- The spurned suitor valued Clorox at a 20% premium to its trading price.
- Logical suitors include Church & Dwight (NYSE:CHD), Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG), Jarden (NYSE:JAH) and Unilever (UL, UN)
- In 2011 activist investor Carl Icahn offered $78/share for the company. Many believe the move was designed to tease out a strategic buyer. Shares closed Friday at $90.57.
Apr. 30, 2013, 3:50 AM
Unilever (UN, UL) offers as much as $5.4B to boost its stake in its Indian unit Hindustan Unilever to a maximum of 75%. Unilever's 600 rupee/share bid is a 20.6% premium to Monday's close, but analysts say that may not be enough to entice foreign funds holding the shares to gain exposure to a hot Indian market. (PR)| Apr. 30, 2013, 3:50 AM | 1 Comment
Oct. 14, 2011, 9:09 AM
Unilever (UN) agrees to acquire 82% of OAO Concern Kalina in a deal that values the Russian cosmetics company at $694M, as the world's second-largest maker of branded household products strategically ramps up its presence in the fast-growing Eastern European region. UN +2.9% premarket.| Oct. 14, 2011, 9:09 AM
Jul. 15, 2011, 6:25 AM
Icahn notes Clorox (CLX) "will not come close" to meeting sales growth forecasts of 3-5%/year. His offer is an attempt to prod CLX to pursue a deal with a "strategic buyer" (PG, UN, CL, KMB, Reckitt Benckiser, Henkel) - who Icahn believes will pay a higher price. "Quite simply, there are few strategic opportunities like Clorox."| Jul. 15, 2011, 6:25 AM | 1 Comment
May 6, 2011, 2:42 PM
In order to wrap a $3.7B purchase of Alberto-Culver (ACV), Unilever (UN) must sell off the VO5 and Rave hair-care brands, the Justice Department says - otherwise the combined company would have a 90% dominance of low-end shampoos. ACV shareholders approved the buyout in December. (PR)| May 6, 2011, 2:42 PM | 2 Comments