UnitedHealth Group Inc.NYSE
Good Execution Continuing To Boost UnitedHealth
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Stephen Simpson, CFA
Tue, Oct. 18, 7:07 AM
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH +0.2%) Q3 results: Revenues: $46,293M (+11.6%); Premiums: $36,142M (+13.7%); Products: $6,696M (+3.3%); Services: $3,264M (+7.5%); Investment and other income: $191M (+12.4%).
- UnitedHealthcare: $37,177M (+13.3%); Optum: $21,119M (+9.4%).
- Premiums: UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual: $13,251M (+11.6%); UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement: $13,927M (+13.5%); UnitedHealthcare Community & State: $8,312M (+12.4%); UnitedHealthcare Global: $1,687M (+31.1%).
- Medical costs: $29,040M (+12.9%); Operating Income: $3,580M (+18.6%); Net Income: $1,968M (+23.2%); EPS: $2.03 (+23.0%); Non-GAAP EPS: $2.17 (+22.6%); Quick Assets: $15,667M (+21.3%); CF Ops: $11,204M (+79.9%).
- OptumHealth: $4,332M (+22.7%); OptumInsight: $1,825M (+15.1%); OptumRx: $15,237M (+5.8%).
- 2016 Guidance: GAAP EPS: ~$7.45 from $7.25 - 7.40; Non-GAAP EPS: ~$8.00 from $7.80 - 7.95.
- Shares are up 1% premarket.
Tue, Oct. 18, 5:56 AM
Mon, Oct. 17, 5:30 PM
Wed, Sep. 21, 11:20 AM
- The SEC just charged Leon Cooperman with insider trading over Atlas Pipeline Partners, and Omega holdings such as Alitsource Portofolio, Navient, Aercap, and Tribune Media have knee-jerked sharply lower.
- A check of other top Omega holdings: First Data (FDC -1.3%), Allergan (AGN -0.9%), AIG (AIG +0.4%), Walgreens (WBA -0.6%), Dow Chemical (DOW), United Continental (UAL -0.7%), Ashland (ASH +0.3%), Chimera Investment (CIM -0.4%), Motorola (MSI +0.1%), HRG Group (HRG -1%), Microsoft (MSFT +1%), E*Trade (ETFC), New Residential (NRZ -1%), OneMain Holdings (OMF -2.3%), PVH (PVH +0.4%), UnitedHealth (UNH +0.7%), MGM Resorts (MGM -0.5%), New Media (NEWM -1.9%), Dish Network (DISH +0.5%), Synchrony Financial (SYF +1%), Eastman Chemical (EMN +0.3%).
- Previously: Cooperman holdings head south after insider trading charge (Sept. 21)
- Previously: Leon Cooperman charged with insider trading (Sept. 21)
Mon, Aug. 29, 1:38 AM
- According to an analysis by the Kaiser Family Foundation, nearly a third of U.S. counties will likely be served by only one insurer that participates in an Affordable Care Act marketplace in 2017, representing an increase from 7% this year.
- The data underscores the degree to which industry retrenchment from low enrollment and high service costs is curtailing options within the marketplaces.
- Insurer departures will likely lead to higher prices, analysts have warned.
- Related tickers: UNH, AET, ANTM, CI, HUM, WCG, CNC, MOH, GTS, HQY
Wed, Aug. 3, 6:55 AM
Thu, Jul. 28, 12:29 PM
- Hologic (NASDAQ:HOLX) upgraded to Buy from Hold by Evercore ISI. Price target raised to $42 (11% upside) from $38.
- Edwards Lifesciences (NYSE:EW) upgraded to Buy from Neutral by Bank of America.
- UnitedHealth Group (NYSE:UNH) upgraded to Buy from Hold with a $170 (20% upside) price target by Argus Research.
- NeoGenomics (NASDAQ:NEO) downgraded to Hold from Buy by BTIG Research.
- Depomed (NASDAQ:DEPO) downgraded to Neutral from Overweight by Piper Jaffray. Price target lowered to $18 (6% downside risk) from $21.
- HealthStream (NASDAQ:HSTM) downgraded to Equal Weight from Overweight by First Analysis. Price target lowered to $27 (7% upside) from $30.
- Gilead Sciences (NASDAQ:GILD) downgraded to Hold from Buy by Needham.
- Athenahealth (NASDAQ:ATHN) downgraded to Hold from Buy by Deutsche Bank. Price target lowered to $147 (13% upside) from $165.
Tue, Jul. 19, 7:13 AM
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH -0.4%) Q2 results: Total Revenues: $46,485M (+28.2%); Premiums: $36,413M (+13.9%); Products: $6,610M (+440.5%); Services: $3,269M (+14.1%); Investment and other income: $193M (-9.8%).
- UnitedHealthcare: $37,556M (+13.6%); Optum: $20,623M (+51.8%).
- Premiums: Employer & Individual: $13,509M (+14.0%); Medicare & Retirement: $14,294M (+13.8%); Community & State: $8,263M (+14.7%); Global: $1,490M (+1.8%).
- Medical costs: $29,872M (+14.3%); Operating costs: $6,793M (+18.4%); Operating Income: $3,203M (+10.6%); Net Income: $1,754M (+10.7%); EPS: $1.81 (+10.4%); Non-GAAP EPS: $1.96 (+13.3%); Quick Assets: $10,974M (-15.0%); CF Ops: $4,000M (+16.6%).
- OptumHealth: $4,065M (+18.2%); OptumInsight: $1,762M (+25.1%); OptumRx: $15,073M (+69.1%).
- 2016 Guidance: GAAP EPS: $7.25 - 7.40; Non-GAAP EPS: $7.80 - 7.95.
Tue, Jul. 19, 5:56 AM
Mon, Jul. 18, 5:30 PM
Thu, Jul. 7, 12:55 PM
- Humana (NYSE:HUM) has tumbled, now down 7.8% in the past few minutes, on chatter that it and Aetna are to meet with the Justice Dept. to discuss "significant" concerns.
- Other insurers took a dip on the news. Aetna (NYSE:AET), set for a $37B takeover of Humana, has slid from positive ground to a 1.5% loss on the day. UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH) is off 0.7%. Cigna (NYSE:CI) has fallen into the red, -0.4%.
- Reports had Aetna set to sell several billion dollars worth of assets to ease regulatory concerns over the deal.
Sun, Jul. 3, 2:50 PM
- via Barclays:
- "Although stocks in the U.S. and Europe have partially bounced back from the sharp selloff sparked by the U.K. referendum result, risks remain prevalent. [Analyst] Keith Parker foresees further equity downside alongside a prolonged market bottoming process, during which positioning is likely to turn much more defensive at active managers.
- "With this in mind, our stock screen this week highlights Overweight-rated stocks that screen defensively based on sector and equity beta but are also expected to generate superior ROE and free cash flows in FY1.
- "Our screen considers the following factors: i) Large-cap (US $5 billion+) stock in the consumer staples, utilities, telecom or healthcare sectors. ii) Adjusted beta less than 1.0. iii) Rated Overweight by Barclays equity research. iv) 15%+ ROE and 4.5%+ FCF yield expected in FY1, based on Barclays estimates."
- The stocks: Aetna (NYSE:AET), BT Group plc (NYSE:BT), Cardinal Health (NYSE:CAH), Coloplast (OTC:CLPBF, OTCPK:CLPBY), CVS (NYSE:CVS), Estee Lauder (NYSE:EL), Express Scripts (NASDAQ:ESRX), Glanbia (OTC:GLAPF, OTCPK:GLAPY), Grifols (NASDAQ:GRFS), Imperial Brands (OTCQX:IMBBY, OTCQX:ITYBF), Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ), Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY, OTCQX:AHODF, OTCQX:AHOND), LabCorp (NYSE:LH), Perrigo (NYSE:PRGO), Telus (NYSE:TU), Unilever (UL, UN), UnitedHealth Group (NYSE:UNH)
- See full table here.
Mon, Jun. 27, 11:16 AM
- The outperformance of low-P/E stocks that marked H1 is behind us, says RBC's Jonathan Golub, and it's time for the "Stable Growers" to re-asset leadership. He cautions about putting money to work too quickly though, noting the pullback so far has been limited.
- His list of Stable Growers (page 1, page 2): CHD, CL, CVS, K, MO, PEP, PG, PM, BCR, BDX, DGX, DVA, HSIC, JNJ, LH, MDT, SYK, TMO, UNH, ZBH, AFL, AON, MMC, TMK, CTAS, DHR, HON, ITW, LMT, MMM, NLSN, RSG, RTN, UPS, VRSK, WM, XYL, CMCSA, MCD, OMC, ADP, APH, EMC, MA, T, VZ, ECL, PX
Fri, Jun. 17, 6:53 AM
- HCA Holdings (NYSE:HCA) initiated with Market Perform rating and $88 (13% upside) price target by Sanford C. Bernstein.
- UnitedHealth Group (NYSE:UNH) initiated with Outperform rating and $142 (2% upside) price target by Sanford C. Bernstein.
- Cepheid (NASDAQ:CPHD) initiated with Equal Weight rating and $30 (1% upside) price target by Morgan Stanley.
- Amsurg (NASDAQ:AMSG) initiated with Market Perform rating by Wells Fargo.
- Cynapsus Therapeutics (NASDAQ:CYNA) initiated with Buy rating and $24 (41% upside) price target by Janney Capital.
- Entellus Medical (NASDAQ:ENTL) initiated with Buy rating and $22 (20% upside) price target by BTIG Research.
- DENTSPLY SIRONA (NASDAQ:XRAY) initiated with Overweight rating and $70 (10% upside) price target by Piper Jaffray.
Thu, Jun. 9, 5:14 PM
- John Rex, previously the CFO of UnitedHealth's (NYSE:UNH) Optum health services unit, has been named CFO of the entire company. He'll assume responsibility for "Treasury, mergers and acquisitions, and venture and private equity investment activity."
- Rex succeeds David Wichmann as CFO. Wichmann will remain UnitedHealth's president. Tami Reller, who had been serving as Optum's marketing chief and before that was a Microsoft exec, has been named Optum's CFO.
Wed, Jun. 8, 7:07 AM