Thu, Jul. 16, 6:02 AM
Wed, Jul. 15, 5:30 PM
Mon, Jun. 29, 3:30 PM
- Becton, Dickinson (BDX +0.3%) upgraded to Buy from undefined with a $167 (18% upside) price target by UBS.
- Community Health Systems (CYH -0.9%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral with an $83.90 (33% upside) price target by Mizuho Securities.
- LifePoint Health (LPNT +2.8%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral with a $95.71 (11% upside) price target by Mizuho Securities.
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH -1.3%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral with a $126 (3% upside) price target by Sterne Agee CRT.
- Tenet Healthcare (THC -1.5%) upgraded to Outperform from Market Perform with a $64 (12% upside) price target by Wells Fargo.
- Cepheid (CPHD -1.7%) raised to Buy from Hold with a $75 (25% upside) price target by Craig-Hallum.
- Merge Healthcare (MRGE -0.1%) upgraded to Buy from Hold with a $5.75 (17% upside) price target by Topeka Capital.
- Alere (ALR -0.2%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral with a $60 (15% upside) price target by Goldman Sachs.
- Smith & Nephew (SNN -2.1%) upgraded to Buy from Neutral with a 1275p (16% upside) price target by UBS.
- Aerie Pharmaceuticals (AERI -4.3%) upgraded to Buy from Hold with a $40 (135% upside) price target by Canaccord Genuity.
Thu, Jun. 25, 10:26 AM| Thu, Jun. 25, 10:26 AM | 87 Comments
Wed, Jun. 24, 12:40 PM
- Baxter International (BAX +1.6%) initiated with Buy rating and $45 (post Baxalta) price target by Goldman Sachs.
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH -2%) initiated with Outperform rating and $159 (33% upside) price target by RBC Capital.
- Esperion Therapeutics (ESPR +2.1%) initiated with Neutral rating and $86 (4% upside) price target (down from $130) by Credit Suisse.
- Corindus Vascular Robotics (OTCPK:CVRS +0.2%) initiated with Buy rating and $6 (38% upside) price target by Stifel.
- Perrigo (PRGO -0.1%) initiated with Outperform rating and $246 (30% upside) price target by BMO Capital.
- Signal Genetics (SGNL +3.8%) initiated with Buy rating and $2.50 (55% upside) price target by Chardan Capital.
- CASI Pharmaceuticals (CASI +2.8%) initiated with Buy rating and $2.50 (39% upside) price target by HC Wainwright.
- Eagle Pharmaceuticals (EGRX -0.8%) initiated with Outperform rating and $97 (11% upside) price target by RBC Capital.
- BioLineRx (BLRX -0.2%) initiated with Outperform rating and $5 (117% upside) price target by JP Morgan.
- OncoSec Medical (ONCS -2.5%) initiated with Buy rating and $25 (255% upside) price target by HC Wainwright.
- Ignyta (RXDX +1.4%) initiated with Overweight rating and $34 (103% upside) price target by Piper Jaffray.
- Acadia Healthcare (ACHC -1.6%) initiated with Buy rating and $84 (11% upside) price target by Mizuho Securities.
- Pacira Pharmaceuticals (PCRX -6.2%) initiated with Market Perform rating and $86 (23% upside) price target by Leerink Swann.
Mon, Jun. 22, 2:58 AM
- The nation's biggest health insurers, which are pursuing a series of potential megamergers due to changes in the healthcare landscape, have many market overlaps that pose challenges to competition around the country.
- On Saturday, Anthem (NYSE:ANTM) made a third offer to purchase Cigna (NYSE:CI) for $54B (although the bid was rejected), while Aetna (NYSE:AET) made a takeover offer for Humana. Those deals, if completed, would shrink the current top five insurers to a powerful big three, each with revenue on paper of more than $100B.
- UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH), the largest industry player by revenue, has also recently jumped on the bandwagon by making a takeover approach to Aetna.
Tue, Jun. 16, 2:06 AM
- Merger talk in the health-insurance industry is heating up as firms grapple with the challenges and opportunities the federal healthcare overhaul has created.
- UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH) has reportedly approached Aetna (NYSE:AET) about a takeover deal that would likely be valued at more than $40B, after Anthem approached Cigna with a $45B buyout offer that was rebuffed.
- Meanwhile, Aetna and others are considering buying Humana, which is looking at strategic alternatives including a sale.
Wed, Jun. 3, 7:08 AM
Fri, May 29, 2:12 PM
- Humana (HUM +19.6%) surges following a WSJ report that it is exploring a potential sale after receiving indications of takeover interest, and has hired Goldman Sachs to help it explore a potential sale.
- Sources say Aetna (AET +2.2%) and Cigna (CI +5.2%) are among companies that have held preliminary discussions with HUM.
- HUM is one of five health insurers that bankers and analysts have long considered ripe for consolidating the industry, including AET, CI, UnitedHealth (UNH +1%) and Anthem (ANTM +2.6%).
Fri, May 22, 11:14 AM
- Major health insurers in some states are proposing rate increases of as much as 51% for plans sold under the federal health law, according to a WSJ analysis, setting the stage for an intense debate over the law’s impact.
- All the insurers cite high medical costs incurred by people newly enrolled under the Affordable Care Act, saying their proposed rates reflect the revenue they need to pay claims now that they have had time to analyze their experience with the law’s requirement that they offer the same rates to everyone regardless of medical history.
- Some insurers are trying to catch up with the impact of expensive drugs such as Sovaldi, foreseeing significant pent-up demand from the newly enrolled, says a fellow at the Society of Actuaries.
- Relevant tickers: IHF, HNT, UNH, MOH, CNC, UAM, AET, CI, HUM, HCA, WCG, GTS, EMCI, MGLN
Thu, Apr. 16, 7:27 AM
- UnitedHealth Group (NYSE:UNH) Q1 results ($M): Total Business: 35,756 (+12.8%); Total UNH: 32,623 (+11.5%); Optum: 12,815 (+14.7%); Premiums: 31,674 (+12.7%); Services: 2,706 (+12.6%).
- Employer & Individual: 11,423 (+4.3%); Medicare & Retirement: 12,781 (+11.1%); Community & State: 6,905 (+33.5%); International: 1,514 (-6.6%).
- Medical Costs: 25,689 (+10.7%); Operating Costs: 5,949 (+14.5%); Net Income: 1,413 (+28.6%); EPS: 1.46 (+32.7%); CF Ops: 2,269 (+61.2%); Quick Assets: 10,430 (+11.2%).
- UnitedHealthcare added more than 1M people in Q1. Consolidated medical care ratio decreased 140 basis points to 81.1%.
- 2015 Guidance: Revenues: ~$143B from $140.5B - 141.5B; EPS: $6.15 - 6.30 from $6.00 - 6.25; CF Ops: $8.2B - 8.4B from $8.0B - 8.4B.
- Shares up 3% premarket on light volume.
Thu, Apr. 16, 6:02 AM
Wed, Apr. 15, 5:30 PM
Wed, Apr. 15, 1:32 PM
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH -2.5%) upgraded to Buy with a $141 (21% upside) price target by Jefferies.
- AbbVie (ABBV +1.1%) upgraded to Outperform with a $68 (9% upside) price target by BMO Capital Markets. Analyst Alex Arfaei cites improved prospects for Imbruvica and increased confidence that the company can defend Humira against biosimilars.
- Clovis Oncology (CLVS +7.3%) upgraded to Buy with a $117 (27% upside) price target by Goldman Sachs.
- NuVasive (NUVA -4%) downgraded to Hold with a $49 (14% upside from today's down move) price target by Cannaccord Genuity.
- Arrowhead Research (ARWR -3.3%) downgraded to Hold with a $9 (28% upside from today's down move) price target by Jefferies.
- Cellular Dynamics (ICEL +0.1%) downgraded to Market Perform with a $16.50 price target by Leerink Swann (unsurprising since the company is being acquired by Fujifilm for $16.50).
Wed, Apr. 15, 11:50 AM
Tue, Apr. 7, 7:14 AM
- The government surprisingly intends to increase Medicare Advantage payments by about 1.25% in 2016, reversing a proposal to make a cut of 0.9%.
- The move should benefit insurers such as UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH) and Humana (NYSE:HUM).
- The change is mainly connected to tweaks in estimates of how fast Medicare spending has been rising rather than to changes in policy.
- Other health insurers include: AET, HNT, MO
- ETFs: XLV, XHE, VHT, FXH, IHF, IHI, IYH, PTH, RYH, PSCH, RXL, RXD, XHS
UnitedHealth Group Inc designs products, provides services and applies technologies that improve access to health and well-being services, simplify the health care experience and make health care more affordable.
Other News & PR