Alpha Gen Capital
Illuminati Investments • 18 Comments
Money Investor • 14 Comments
Fri, Feb. 5, 2:44 PM
- USG Corp. (USG +7.1%) shares are sharply higher after the maker of building materials reported better than expected Q4 earnings, citing margin expansion in its gypsum and ceilings businesses, as well as cost discipline.
- USG says it sees continued strength in its markets this year, with overall demand improving 5% in most of its key markets, and stresses that it will continue its "relentless cost control program" in 2016.
- In its earnings conference call last week, USG peer Eagle Materials (EXP +0.7%) said its gypsum customers were reporting 5%-7% increases in volume needs for 2016.
Feb. 6, 2015, 3:58 PM
- USG (USG -4.6%) is downgraded to Equal Weight from Overweight with a $29 price target, cut from $33, at Barclays, following disappointing Q4 earnings with a number of unusual items that occupied much of the Q&A on the earnings conference call.
- Q4 results came in below consensus, as decent core U.S. drywall and Boral JV results were overshadowed by weakness in GTL shipping, Canada and Mexico, and hedging losses.
- CEO James Metcalf wound up answering an inordinate number of questions about ocean shipping - an obscure corner of his business - after USG wrote down the value of its shipping assets by $60M and said it might sell the vessels.
Jan. 2, 2014, 8:34 AM
Oct. 16, 2013, 6:32 PM
- USG Corp. (USG) -5.9% AH after issuing downside guidance for Q3, seeing EPS of $0.21 vs. $0.29 analyst consensus and revenues of $925M vs. $936M consensus.
- USG attributes the results, which are an improvement Y/Y, to better wallboard price and volume and positive operating results at L&W Supply, partially offset by higher SG&A expense as expected and lower profitability from its GTL shipping company due to timing of shipments in H2.
- Also, USG announces a plasterboard and ceilings joint venture with Australian peer Boral Ltd.; in order to achieve a 50% interest in the JV, USG will pay Boral total cash payments of up to $575M.
Oct. 16, 2013, 5:35 PM
Jun. 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
USG (USG -4.5%) slips in tandem with a weak homebuiling sector today, but gets an added prod from Wedbush, who initiated the shares this morning with a Neutral rating and a price target of $28. The firm cites choppiness in the commercial construction market, and says that its valuation already reflects growth and margin expansion over the next two years.| Jun. 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
Apr. 22, 2013, 1:44 PM
USG (USG +2%-) gets a boost today after Credit Suisse ups the shares to Neutral on valuation and raises its price target from $22 to $27. The firm says recent checks of the wallboard market indicate that price increases appear to be sticking with no significant impact to sales volume, although distributors who deal more with commercial/non-residential markets have yet to see meaningful volume improvement. It's anticipating stronger trends as the year progresses, with wallboard pricing of +20% in FY13 and +8% in FY14.| Apr. 22, 2013, 1:44 PM | 1 Comment
Mar. 25, 2013, 2:22 PM
The steep afternoon drop in shares of USG (USG -5.5%) and Eagle Materials (EGLE -2.2%) is tied to a research note by analysts at Cleveland Research, which says its checks showed slippage in wallboard pricing, especially in the eastern U.S. Shares had plunged 9.2% and 4.5%, respectively, at their lowest points about an hour ago.| Mar. 25, 2013, 2:22 PM | 10 Comments
Feb. 6, 2013, 8:41 AMUSG (USG): Q4 EPS of -$0.11 beats by $0.16. Revenue of $815M (+12% Y/Y) beats by $25M. Shares +3.6% premarket. (PR) | Feb. 6, 2013, 8:41 AM
Oct. 18, 2012, 8:51 AM
More on USG: Drywall sales of 1.20 BSF up 14.3% Y/Y. Realized selling price of $131.97 vs. $132.09 in Q2, $111.16 a year ago. Operating profit swings to a $32M gain from a $20M loss a year ago. "Wallboard demand remains significantly below historical averages," says CEO James Metcalf. Shares -5% premarket after pricing in housing market nirvana with their 124% gain YTD. (PR)| Oct. 18, 2012, 8:51 AM
Oct. 18, 2012, 8:38 AMUSG (USG): Q3 EPS of -$0.28 misses by $0.18. Revenue of $828M (+9% Y/Y) misses by $39M. Shares -7.4% premarket. (PR) | Oct. 18, 2012, 8:38 AM
Sep. 13, 2012, 9:16 AM
Building material names (possibly far ahead of true housing recovery) are set to take a hit as heavy-hitter Ivy Zelman reportedly downgrades USG Corp. to Sell, Stanley Black & Decker (SWK) to sell, and Owens Corning (OC) to hold. USG -4.3% premarket, OC -2% premarket. (h/t Marc Lehman)| Sep. 13, 2012, 9:16 AM
Sep. 13, 2012, 9:10 AM
Jul. 25, 2012, 9:16 AMPremarket gainers: RVBD +26%. ACOM +16%. LL +14%. VHC +13%. INVN +13%. REGN +13%. ALTR +11%. SYMC +10%. DEXO +10%. SPPI +10%. TPX +9%. PSTI +8%. PNRA +8%. GALT +8%. JNPR +7%. ARMH +7%. ALXN +6%. BRCM +6%. STEM +5%.
Losers: RSH -22%. NFLX -20%. TRIP -15%. IGT -12%. BWLD -11%. RFMD -10%. WLP -10%. USG -6%. WFT -6%. | Jul. 25, 2012, 9:16 AM
Jul. 25, 2012, 9:02 AMUSG (USG): Q2 EPS of -$0.15 misses by $0.02. Revenue of $825M (+8.4% Y/Y) misses by $23M. Shares -4.8% premarket. (PR) | Jul. 25, 2012, 9:02 AM
May 29, 2012, 12:23 PM