What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Nov. 14, 2014, 2:47 PM
Oct. 8, 2014, 5:38 PM
Oct. 2, 2014, 12:45 PM
Sep. 26, 2014, 1:46 PM
- Patent licensing firms VirnetX (VHC +15.2%), Crossroads (CRDS +12.8%), and Document Security (DSS +9.4%) are among the day's biggest gainers. Shares of all three companies had fallen hard in recent weeks (VirnetX especially).
- End-of-quarter short-covering could be contributing to VrinetX and Document Security's gains: The companies respectively had 17.7M and 2.3M shares shorted as of Sep. 15. Crossroads only had 240K shares shorted.
- Earlier this week, the WSJ observed federal courts have increasingly been making adverse rulings on software patents since June's Supreme Court ruling. "This is only the beginning of the fallout," Stanford law prof. Mark Lemley is quoted as saying.
Sep. 26, 2014, 12:45 PM
Sep. 24, 2014, 2:06 PM
- The USPTO has granted VirnetX (NYSEMKT:VHC) a patent related to the creation of an "encrypted communications channel" between two devices using secure domain names. (USPTO filing)
- The patent is the tenth granted to VirnetX in 2014, and is tied to the company's Gabriel secure connection platform.
- Shares have risen 27% from a Sep. 18 low of $4.18. They remain down 64% from where they closed the day before last week's Apple appeals court ruling.
Sep. 18, 2014, 12:45 PM
Sep. 18, 2014, 12:03 PM
- VirnetX (VHC -39.5%) is now down 70% from Monday's close in response to a federal appeals court's ruling on its infringement suit against Apple. Shares are at levels last seen in early 2010.
- Yesterday afternoon, SA author Alpha Exposure argued VirnetX shares are "nearly worthless" following the appeals court ruling, due to the reversal of infringement rulings for two key patent claims and ongoing cash burn.
- AE estimates VirnetX would obtain $38.5M/year in revenue if it collected a 1% royalty on Apple's FaceTime and VPN On Demand offerings, and $8.7M/year if it collected on FaceTime alone. At the same time, the author thinks "VirnetX may find it hard to even achieve 1% since it has signed royalty deals at as low a rate as 0.24%."
Sep. 18, 2014, 9:06 AM
Sep. 17, 2014, 5:37 PM
Sep. 16, 2014, 3:14 PM
- "We are bolstered by the fact that the patents were again found valid and that it was confirmed that Apple's VPN on Demand functionality infringes the VirnetX (VHC -41.7%) patents," says CEO Kendall Larsen. "We look forward to readdressing the FaceTime infringement and damages issues as soon as possible."
- Previously: VirnetX plunges as jury award over Apple is vacated
Sep. 16, 2014, 12:46 PM
Sep. 16, 2014, 11:37 AM| Sep. 16, 2014, 11:37 AM | 24 Comments
Sep. 10, 2014, 2:38 PM
Aug. 11, 2014, 12:31 PM
- In a Markman order, the Eastern Texas district court has rejected an Apple motion for summary judgment seeking to invalidate certain VirnetX (VHC +3.6%) patent claims on grounds of indefiniteness.
- It has also "granted in part and denied in part VirnetX's Motion for Partial Summary Judgment on Apple's Invalidity Counterclaims." Apple is precluded from asserting invalidity for VirnetX patent claims covered during the companies' jury trial, but can do so for other claims.
- VirnetX rallied in June after an RPX request (on behalf of Apple) for a USPTO review of several VirnetX patents was denied.
Jun. 19, 2014, 1:15 PM
- In a closely-watched case, the Supreme Court has upheld the patentability of software concepts, albeit while setting limits: Companies can't patent a mere abstract idea on a computer, but can patent software ideas that advance or improve upon existing ideas.
- The ruling comes a month after Sen. Pat Leahy shelved a hotly-contested bill aimed at limiting the power of patent trolls. Many tech giants and startups backed the bill, while IP licensing firms staunchly opposed it.
- A few licensing firms are trading lower on a moderately down day for tech: VRNG -2.2%. ACTG -1.3%. VHC -2.8%. PRKR -3.8%. SPEX -3.1%.
- Other related names: RPXC, WILN, DSS, CRDS, MARA.
VirnetX Holding Corp is an Internet security software and technology company with patented technology for secure communications. The Company's software and technology solutions, include its Secure Domain Name Registry and GABRIEL Connection Technology.
Other News & PR