Thu, Jan. 29, 10:14 AM
- Viacom (VIA,VIAB) beat bottom-line expectations in fiscal Q1 though missing slightly on revenues. Segment breakdowns: Media Networks revenue of $2.65B up 4.4% Y/Y (higher affiliate fees and ad revenues); Filmed Entertainment revenue of $720M up 5.7% Y/Y.
- Adjusted operating income of $1.1B in Media Networks was off 1% due to higher programming costs; Filmed Entertainment had an adjusted operating loss of $60M (19% better than last year) as revenues helped to offset higher film/distribution expense.
- Previous release Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles continued strong contributions to current-quarter film releases. Theatrical revenues up 6% and home entertainment revenues (two releases compared to none the prior year) up 16%.
- After repurchasing about $750M in shares in fiscal Q1, Viacom had $5.62B remaining in a $20B buyback program.
- Shares: (VIA -1.1%), (VIAB -1%)
- Previously: Viacom beats by $0.01, misses on revenue (Jan. 29 2015)
- Press release
Thu, Jan. 29, 6:53 AM
Aug. 6, 2014, 7:47 AM| Comment!
May. 1, 2014, 7:15 AM
- Viacom (VIA, VIAB) reports a 6% gain in revenue during FQ2 for its Media Networks segment to $2.375B, led by higher affiliate fees.
- The Filmed Entertainment segment saw a 12% drop to $831M during the quarter. The company's slate of international movie releases was light.
- Viacom says it returned $2B to investors through buybacks and dividends in the first half of FY14.
Jan. 30, 2014, 7:02 AM
- Viacom (VIA, VIAB) saw its quarterly profit increase in FQ1 on a steady revenue gain.
- The company saw revenue in its Media Networks segment rise 6% to $2.54B, led by higher affiliate fees and advertising revenues.
- Filmed Entertainment revenue fell 30% to $681M with fewer movie releases during the period.
- PR (.pdf)
Apr. 22, 2013, 5:37 PMNetflix (NFLX) is rolling out an $11.99/month family plan for subs who want access to 4 streams at once (up from a current limit of 2). Also, Netflix says it will let a deal with Viacom (VIA) that covers Nickelodeon, BET, and MTV content expire in May, but is in talks to license "particular shows." Domestic streaming's contribution margin rose to 20.6% from Q4's 19.6% and Q1 2012's 14.3%, while domestic DVD's profit fell $15M Q/Q to $113M. International streaming had a $77M loss, down from Q4's $105M. Q2 sub add forecasts: 200K-850K for domestic streaming (down from Q1's 2.02M), 150-750K for international (down from Q1's 1.02M). (more) (shareholder letter) | Comment!
Nov. 10, 2011, 9:56 AMMore on Viacom (VIA.B) FQ4: Net income triples to $576M. Revs at the TV ops +7.7% to $2.29B, but ad growth slows from FQ3. Sales at Paramount +46% to $1.79B, boosted by the latest "Transformers" film. Raises stock buyback by $6B to $10B and declares a dividend of $0.25/share. Shares +0.6%. (PR) | Comment!
Aug. 5, 2011, 7:32 AMMore on Viacom's (VIA) Q2 report: Worldwide advertising revenue $1.28B (+14% Y/Y). Theatrical revenue $588M (-9% Y/Y). Worldwide affiliate revenue $971M (+19% Y/Y). $2.18B untapped in firm's $4B stock repurchase plan. Execs point to global growth by "expanding our reach through new international and digital distribution." (PR) | Comment!
Aug. 5, 2011, 7:27 AM
VIA vs. ETF Alternatives
Viacom Inc is an entertainment content company. It connects with audiences in 165 countries and territories and creates television programs, motion pictures, applications, games, consumer products, social media & other entertainment content.
Other News & PR