Wed, Jan. 14, 3:04 PM
- Viacom (VIA, VIAB) falls after Citigroup cuts its rating on the company to Sell, a two-notch slide from the previous ratings perch at Buy.
- Citi slashes the price target on Viacom to $62 from $88.
- The investment firm sees a risk that Dish Network might drop Viacom after the current carriage fee deal expires.
- In other smaller cable deals, the impact on EBITDA from lower programming fees more than offset revenue lost from subscriber defections.
- M&A could save the day for Viacom, notes Citi.
Jul. 16, 2014, 8:13 AM
- 21st Century Fox (NASDAQ:FOXA) will pay as much as $85 per share for Time Warner (NYSE:TWX), according to Bloomberg.
- The frothy premium hasn't gone unnoticed in the broadcaster sector with CBS (NYSE:CBS) up 1.6% premarket and Viacom (VIA, VIAB) rising 1.8%. Murdoch's 21st Century Fox is 1.7% higher, while even media giants Disney (NYSE:DIS) and Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) are catching a piece of the frenzy, up 0.7% and 0.9% premarket, respectively.
- TWX is in dreamland, up +20.2% to $85.32.
- It's setting up to be a banner day for the PowerShares Dynamic Media ETF (NYSEARCA:PBS).
Jan. 30, 2014, 12:04 PM
- Media stocks are notable out-performers today as earnings report in the sector continue to come in favorable and more content deals across platforms and geographic regions signal more revenue potential for companies on the content side.
- Advancers: CBS (CBS) +4.0%, Disney (DIS) +3.2%, Twentieth-Century Fox (FOXA) +4.7%, Lions Gate (LGF) +3.7%, Viacom (VIAB, VIA) +4.5%, Time Warner (TWX) +2.9%.
- Related ETFs: PBS
May. 16, 2012, 2:05 PMShares of Viacom (VIA +3.0%) move up after Eagle Capital's Merly Witmer comes out with positive comments on the name at the Ira Sohn Conference. It won't be the last stock to catch a reaction emanating from the hedge fund manager confab. Still on tap: David Einhorn 3:05 PM EST (HLF?), Bill Ackman 5:30 PM. | Comment!
May. 3, 2012, 6:02 PMNetflix (NFLX -7.6%) closed at levels last seen in early January after Viacom (VIA, VIAB) stated on its FQ2 earnings call Epix's movies will be available on Netflix "under any circumstance," but other streaming partners might also be added. Last week, it was reported Apple (AAPL) is talking to Epix, which Viacom co-owns with LGF and MGM, about a streaming deal. Netflix's exclusivity ends in September. | 8 Comments
May. 3, 2012, 9:00 AM
Feb. 8, 2012, 1:18 PMNetflix (NFLX -2.6%) slumps after Amazon (AMZN) announces its anticipated Prime Video deal with Viacom (VIA, VIAB). The deal adds over 2K titles from cable networks such as Nickelodeon, MTV, and Comedy Central, and boosts the size of Amazon's library to 15K (Netflix has 20K+). Ryan Lawler believes Prime Video now looks like a real competitor to Netflix, but thinks a standalone service is needed. | 1 Comment
Feb. 2, 2012, 9:00 AMPremarket gainers: GMCR +21%. CEDC +21%. MTSN +15%. OMEX +10%. GPS +8%. CNQR +6%. EA +6%. CDNS +6%. QCOM +5%. ELGX +5%. GFA +5%. AUO +4%. KSS +4%. ZNGA +4%. IRE +4%. CMI +3%. K +3%. CPST +3%. JDSU +3%. MA +3%. RENN +3%.
Losers: SD -13%. ANF -12%. ANN -10%. NG -9%. BSX -6%. CI -6%. RCL -6%. UN -5%. MPW +4%. VIA -4%. UL -4%. CHKM -4%. SNE -4%. PCX -4%. PHM -3%. DOW -3%. ANZ -3%. CUK -3%. CCL -3%. NBG -3%. | Comment!
Aug. 18, 2011, 9:56 AM
Jul. 6, 2011, 2:53 PM
May. 25, 2011, 1:11 PM
VIA vs. ETF Alternatives
Viacom Inc is an entertainment content company. It connects with audiences in 165 countries and territories and creates television programs, motion pictures, applications, games, consumer products, social media & other entertainment content.
Other News & PR