Village Super Market: Close But No Cigar
May 14, 2015, 9:47 PM
- Consolidation in the grocery industry could pick up even more, observes Supermarket News.
- A large merger between Albertsons and Safeway (NYSE:SWY) has been followed by talks between Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) and Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY).
- The increased push by Wal-Mart and Target in the sector has added pressure to leverage store growth through M&A.
- "There is mounting pressure in the supermarket industry to consolidate operations to drive better purchasing power and leverage distribution and technology platforms," notes Wolfe Research.
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) is seen as a likely candidate to look for a chain to acquire.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize confirm merger talks (May 12)
- Grocery stocks: RNDY, SVU, VLGEA, WFM, CASY, IMKTA, OTCPK:PUSH, TFM, SFM, WMK.
Village Super Market, Inc. engages in the ownership and operation of ShopRite, a chain of supermarkets with locations in New Jersey, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Its stores include on-site bakeries and pharmacies, and offer delicatessen, natural and organic food, ethnic and international food,... More
Industry: Grocery Stores
Country: United States
Other News & PR