May 12, 2014, 9:00 AM
- Virgin Media (VMED) has signed a deal with BSkyB (BSYBY) to add five HD channels for its TV, online, and mobile packages.
- The deal will place Sky channels on mobile devices for the first time in a competitive move aimed at BT Group (BT)
- Sky Atlantic, which carries HBO shows such as Game of Thrones in the U.S., is not part of the content arrangement.
- What to watch: The battle for content in the U.K. will heat up later this year when Premiere League rights go to auction.
Sep. 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
- A new Netflix (NFLX -0.5%) deal that will see the streaming service integrated into Virgin Media's (VMED) set-top boxes could have broad implications across the media landscape, according to analysts.
- Pay TV operators are slowly warming up to the idea of letting Netflix inside of their programming guides, instead of closing them out as a competitor.
- Though the financial benefits might be slow to be realized, the shift of the perception of Netflix is a long-term positive.
Sep. 10, 2013, 7:25 AM
- Virgin Media (VMED) announces it will make Netflix (NFLX) available to its customers through their set-top boxes.
- The development will mark the first time a major Pay-TV operator embeds Netflix within its programming menu.
- Details of any financial arrangement between the two company weren't released.
Aug. 15, 2013, 9:40 AM
- Third Point (TPRE) files its Q2 13-F.
- Key increases: TIBX +400%. BID +400%. LBTYK +344%. LBTYA +275%. TMO +92%. COG +10%.
- Key reductions: TIF -38%. NWSA -38%. IP -31%. AIG -25%. STZ -25%. APC -20%.
- Key exits: DLPH, AGU, CIM, LPX, NXPI, HES, EQIX, TDG, ST, MUR, LNG, ABBV, VMED, LYB.
- Key initiations: MPC ($89M). WMB ($57M). ELN ($120M). DIS ($114M). CF ($145M). CCE ($35M).
May 27, 2013, 9:30 AMWhat do hedge funds see that Seeking Alpha readers don't? Of Goldman's list of stocks most-loved by hedge funds, two - John Malone cable plays Virgin Media (VMED) and Charter Communications (CHTR) - are barely followed by our readers, each with less than 500 Real Time Email Alerts subscribers. Another three - Hertz (HTZ), CBS, and Equinix (EQIX) - have, at best, moderate followings (1,100-1,400 subscribers). For comparison: Hess has 3.5K, GM 11.4K, JPM 23K, Google 76K, Apple 180K. While hedge funds as a whole struggle to beat the market, their top 20 holdings have done so with ease this year. | May 27, 2013, 9:30 AM | 13 Comments
May 22, 2013, 11:07 AMAIG remains at the top Goldman's list of hedge fund hotels (the 50 stocks appearing most frequently among hedge fund top 10 holdings). Google (GOOG) retains its #2 position. Apple (APPL) - in the top spot for 3 years until February - remains at #3. Goldman notes the basket has outperformed the S&P a bit this year and the top 20 has done better by more than 1000 basis points. We smell an ETF offering. The rest of the top 20: C, GM, PCLN, VMED, NWSA, MSFT, HTZ, JPM, APC, PFE, QCOM, CHTR, HES, CBS, EBAY, DAL, EQIX. | May 22, 2013, 11:07 AM | 4 Comments
Apr. 24, 2013, 5:24 AMVirgin Media (VMED): Q1 EPS of £0.46. Revenue of £1.04B (+3.7% Y/Y). (PR) | Apr. 24, 2013, 5:24 AM
Apr. 24, 2013, 12:05 AM
Notable earnings before Wednesday’s open: ABB, ABX, ASH, ATI, AVY, BA, BYD, CFR, CKSW, COR, CP, CS, CVE, DPS, EDU, ELN, EMN, ERIC, F, FDML, GD, GLW, GRA, HCBK, HES, ICON, LAD, LL, LLY, LO, MDCO, MSI, MTH, NDAQ, NOC, NS, NVS, NYCB, OC, OCR, OSIS, PG, PLD, PX, RES, ROK, S, SO, SVU, TEL, TKR, TMO, TROW, TUP, USG, VLY, VMED, WAB, WHR, WLP, WM, WYN| Apr. 24, 2013, 12:05 AM
Apr. 23, 2013, 5:30 PM
Notable earnings before Wednesday’s open: ABB, ABX, ASH, ATI, AVY, BA, BYD, CFR, CKSW, COR, CP, CS, CVE, DPS, EDU, ELN, EMN, ERIC, F, FDML, GD, GLW, GRA, HCBK, HES, ICON, LAD, LL, LLY, LO, MDCO, MSI, MTH, NDAQ, NOC, NS, NVS, NYCB, OC, OCR, OSIS, PG, PLD, PX, RES, ROK, S, SO, SVU, TEL, TKR, TMO, TROW, TUP, USG, VLY, VMED, WAB, WHR, WLP, WM, WYN| Apr. 23, 2013, 5:30 PM
Apr. 15, 2013, 6:15 AM
The EU has approved Liberty Global's (LBTYA) $15.8B acquisition of Virgin Media (VMED), saying it doesn't have any competition concerns as the companies operate pay-TV networks in different European countries. The deal will pit Liberty against News Corp (NWS) satellite-TV affiliate BSkyB (BSYBY.PK), or John Malone against Rupert Murdoch. (PR)| Apr. 15, 2013, 6:15 AM
Feb. 6, 2013, 7:52 AMVirgin Media (VMED): Q4 operating income of £208.6M. Revenue of £1.04B (+2.7% Y/Y). (PR) | Feb. 6, 2013, 7:52 AM
Feb. 6, 2013, 1:07 AM
As expected, Liberty Global (LBTYA) has agreed to acquire Virgin Media (VMED) for $16B in cash and shares, with the enterprise value of the deal $23.3B when debt is included. Liberty Global's offer of $47.87 per Virgin Media share represents a premium of 24% to the latter's closing price on Monday, prior to the news of the acquisition becoming public. (PR)| Feb. 6, 2013, 1:07 AM | 1 Comment
Feb. 6, 2013, 12:05 AM
Feb. 5, 2013, 5:30 PM
Feb. 5, 2013, 3:35 PM
Feb. 5, 2013, 1:00 PM