VeriSign Is Misunderstood And Could Triple Over The Next 5 Years
Early Retiree • 25 Comments
Early Retiree • 25 Comments
Feb. 7, 2014, 5:57 PM
- Though Verisign (VRSN -4.9%) beat Q4 estimates, the company guided on its CC (transcript) for 2014 revenue of $1B-$1.02B; the midpoint is slightly below a $1.02B consensus. The domain name registrar/site authentication provider also guided for a 2014 op. margin of 58%-60%; that compares with a 2013 level of 58.5% (up 230 bps Y/Y).
- Citing margin growth concerns, Citi's Walter Pritchard has cut shares to sell. "Margin surprises had been a driver of the stock and investors continue to expect this ... However, margins appear to be approaching a ceiling."
- In tandem with its results, Verisign has announced it will repatriate $700M-$800M worth of cash in Q2 or Q3 in "a tax-efficient manner" by leveraging a $375.3M income tax benefit it recorded in Q4 related to the liquidation of a domestic subsidiary.
- The company also says its board has approved increasing Verisign's buyback by $528M to $1B (good for repurchasing 14% of shares at current levels).
- Verisign's deferred revenue rose by $43M in 2013 to $856M, and the number of active .com/.net domain names handled by its registry business rose 5% to 127.2M.
Feb. 7, 2014, 5:38 PM
Feb. 6, 2014, 4:09 PM
- VeriSign, Inc. (VRSN): Q4 EPS of $0.65 beats by $0.05.
- Revenue of $245.63M (+6.7% Y/Y) beats by $0.86M.
Feb. 6, 2014, 12:10 AM| Feb. 6, 2014, 12:10 AM | 4 Comments
Feb. 5, 2014, 5:35 PM| Feb. 5, 2014, 5:35 PM | 2 Comments
Nov. 25, 2013, 3:55 PM
- Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG), and AIG are the most popular (long) holdings of hedge funds, according to Goldman's latest hedge fund monitor, which analyzed the positions of 783 hedge funds with $1.7T of gross assets. Hedge fund holdings of AIG, however, account for 14 of the company's float compared to negligible amounts for Apple and Google.
- The 20 most concentrated hedge fund holdings as defined by the percent of equity cap owned by the funds has consistently been a significant outperformer, according to Goldman. In order: AN, STZ, JCP, FDO, THC, HRB, BEAM, MU, NWSA, VRSN, CBG, NFLX, GT, TSO, ETFC, MSI, WPX, WYN, HES, CCI. The top 20 last quarter is here.
- Overall, the studied hedge funds' performance leaves a bit to be desired, with average return of 6% YTD. Fewer than 5% outperformed the S&P 500, and 20% of funds posted an absolute loss.
Nov. 14, 2013, 4:50 PM
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) takes a new 40.1M-share position in Exxon Mobil (XOM), apparently enough to make Warren Buffett's conglomerate the 6th-biggest holder of XOM shares. (13F)
- Berkshire also added to existing stakes in Bank of New York (BK), DaVita Health Care Partners (DVA), Suncor Energy (SU), U.S. Bancorp (USB) and VeriSign (VRSN); stakes were lowered in ConocoPhillips (COP), DirecTV (DTV), GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and Sanofi (SNY).
- XOM +0.7% AH.
Oct. 24, 2013, 4:23 PM
- VeriSign (VRSN): Q3 EPS of $0.59 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $244M beats by $3.48M. (PR)
Aug. 21, 2013, 9:32 AM
- AIG remains the "king of the hedge fund castle" writes ValueWalk, as Goldman's latest Hedge Fund Monitor shows 69 funds have the stock in their top 10 holdings as of June 30, ahead of #2 Google (GOOG) at 65 and #3 Apple (AAPL) at 50. The percent of equity cap owned by hedge funds is 14% for AIG, as opposed to negligible amounts for both Google and Apple.
- Based on percent of equity cap owned by hedge funds, Charter Communications (CHTR) is the #1 hedge fund hotel at 37%. Among S&P 500 stocks, J.C. Penney at 36%, Constellation Brands (STZ) at 30% and H&R Block (HRB) at 26% lead the way. The average for the entire S&P 500 is 5%.
- Goldman's basket of 20 "Most concentrated" hedge fund stocks has outperformed the S&P 500 by nearly 1200 bps YTD. Since 2001, the strategy has outperformed the S&P 69% of the time and by an average of 263 bps per quarter. In addition to the earlier-mentioned names there's: AN, VRSN, FDO, THC, CBG, GT, NFLX, TRIP, LYB, WPX, MSI, BEAM, DLTR, ZTS, WYN, LM, ETFC.
Aug. 15, 2013, 6:20 AM
Jul. 25, 2013, 4:41 PMVeriSign (VRSN): Q2 EPS of $0.58 beats by $0.03. Revenue of $239.3M beats by $2.16M. (PR) | Jul. 25, 2013, 4:41 PM
Apr. 25, 2013, 4:22 PMVeriSign (VRSN): Q1 EPS of $0.58 beats by $0.03. Revenue of $236M (+15% Y/Y) beats by $3.37M. Shares +3% AH. (PR) | Apr. 25, 2013, 4:22 PM
Apr. 8, 2013, 8:26 AM
VeriSign (VRSN) announces a new $600M offering of senior unsecured notes to be sold in a private placement to institutional buyers.| Apr. 8, 2013, 8:26 AM
Jan. 24, 2013, 4:12 PMVeriSign (VRSN): Q4 EPS of $0.59 beats by $0.08. Revenue of $230M (+13% Y/Y) beats by $0.72M. (PR) | Jan. 24, 2013, 4:12 PM
Jan. 24, 2013, 12:10 AM
Jan. 23, 2013, 5:35 PM
VeriSign, Inc. engages in the provision of domain name registry services and internet security. It operates in a single reportable segment: Registry Services and Network Intelligence and Availability Services. Its registry services ensures security, stability, and resiliency of key internet... More
Industry: Application Software
Country: United States
Other News & PR