Dec. 4, 2013, 8:25 AM
- Walgreen (WAG) reports Nov sales rose 4.1% Y/Y to $6.07B.
- Total comparable store sales rose 3.2% during the month, calendar day shifts impacting 1.5%, generic drug introduction impacting 0.6%.
- The company opened 22 stores during Nov. (incl. 9 relocation).
- FQ1 Sales increased +6.0% to $18.35B, Comparable store sales rose 5.5%.
Nov. 27, 2013, 11:00 AM
- CVS Caremark's (CVS) agreement to acquire Coram, the specialty infusion services and enteral nutrition business unit of Apria Healthcare Group, for approximately $2.1B will strengthen its position relative to market leader Walgreens (WAG), Wells Fargo says.
- "This transaction should strengthen CVS' positioning in the specialty pharmaceutical business, which we believe is increasingly critical in driving growth for the PBMs, particularly as we believe historical sources of earnings growth taper (including generics and mail order). Walgreens is currently the market leader in the specialty pharmacy business, followed closely by CVS and the acquisition of Coram should strengthen CVS' positioning."
- "Prior to Caremark being solely a PBM, it was one of the largest home infusion therapy companies in the country, but Caremark sold these assets in 1995 to Coram for about $310M in cash and preferred stock, with estimated revenues of under $500M. Today's announcement will bring back this business despite the now resolved litigated history regarding the original sale, though Coram is now considerably larger and includes ambulatory infusion sites."
- Coram peer BioScrip (BIOS) is +20% today, a move that appears directly related to the acquisition of Coram.
Oct. 16, 2013, 1:33 PM
- A wellness loyalty program expanded by Rite Aid (RAD +0.8%) a few months ago has drawn in 930K senior citizens, according to the company.
- It's an impressive mark with the demographic viewed as hard to convince to change its shopping habits at times.
- The company still trails Walgreen (WAG +2.5%) and CVS Caremark (CVS +0.2%) by most metrics, but by taking senior market share it can narrow the gap.
Oct. 10, 2013, 7:45 AM
Oct. 10, 2013, 7:13 AM
Oct. 9, 2013, 4:30 PM
Oct. 3, 2013, 9:30 AM
Oct. 1, 2013, 7:40 AM
- Walgreen (WAG) reports total sales at comparable sales rose 4.6% as a higher average basket size helped to make up for lower traffic in stores.
- Prescription sales at comparable stores rose 6.4% during the period on a prescription count of 203M.
- The company says a joint synergy program with Alliance Boots led to first-year synergies of $154M.
Oct. 1, 2013, 7:32 AM
Oct. 1, 2013, 12:05 AM
Sep. 30, 2013, 5:30 PM
Sep. 23, 2013, 9:28 AM| 4 Comments
Sep. 18, 2013, 7:30 AM
Sep. 18, 2013, 3:48 AM
- Walgreen (WAG) is today expected to become the latest major employer to make big changes to its health program, with the company set to give employees money so that they can buy their own coverage on an exchange.
- The reasons include rising healthcare costs and expenses related to complying with the new healthcare law, although it's not clear how much Walgreen will save from the move, which will affect 160,000 staff.
- Earlier this month, IBM and Time Warner said they will provide staff with funds to move them from company administered programs to exchanges.
Sep. 17, 2013, 8:37 AM
Sep. 13, 2013, 9:40 AM
WBA vs. ETF Alternatives
Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc operates drug-stores chain in the United States. It provides consumer goods and services, pharmacy, and health and wellness services through drug-stores, as well as mail, and by telephone and online.
Other News & PR