Thu, Apr. 23, 7:41 AM
- UBS estimates a buyer would have to pay $95 to acquire Omnicare (NYSE:OCR).
- Firm thinks Walgreens (NASDAQ:WBA) or Rite Aid (NYSE:RAD) could be interested, but are unlikely to pay up due to limited synergies.
- OCR increased management comp. in the event of a change in control, a possible indicator the company may be sold.
- Previously: Omnicare reportedly exploring sale; trading halted (Apr. 22)
Wed, Apr. 15, 2:10 PM| Wed, Apr. 15, 2:10 PM | 5 Comments
Tue, Apr. 14, 10:24 AM
- A lawsuit filed last week by a pension fund holding a stake in Walgreen Boots Alliance (WBA -0.1%) contends the company misled investors over the benefits of the Walgreen-Boots Alliance merger.
- The case was filed against the merged Walgreen Co. and its former CFO and CEO.
- The company hasn't responded publicly to the allegations.
Thu, Apr. 9, 1:32 PM
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA +3.9%) plans to close 200 stores in the U.S.
- The cuts are part of a previously-announced $500M cost-cutting plan.
- The same number of stores are expected to be opened in locations with higher profit potential.
- Previously: More on Walgreens Boots Alliance's FQ2
- Previously: Walgreens Boots beats by $0.23, misses on revenue
Thu, Apr. 9, 7:30 AM
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (NASDAQ:WBA) reports comparable-store sales rose 2.5% in FQ2.
- Pharmacy sales were up 10.1% on a 4.8% gain in prescription count for the quarter.
- Gross profit margin -292 bps to 25.90%.
- SG&A expenses +22.70% to $5.606B.
- Adjusted operating margin rate declined 26 bps to 6.92%.
- FY2015 Guidance: Adjusted EPS: $3.45 to $3.65; Ineterest expense: $140M to $150M; Tax rate: ~29%.
- FY2016 Guidance: Adjusted EPS: $4.25 to $4.60.
- WBA +1.15% premarket.
Thu, Apr. 9, 7:02 AM
Wed, Apr. 8, 5:30 PM
Wed, Apr. 8, 12:51 PM
Tue, Mar. 24, 10:25 AM
- A merger between Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA -0.3%) and Rite Aid (RAD +1.3%) would lead to cost savings of between $400M and $650M, according to analysis from Credit Suisse.
- The investment firm also forecasts the merged drugstore operator would have to shed 3% of its stores to appease the FTC.
- RetailWire notes the new company would face some challenges with unions and higher borrowing costs.
- Rite Aid is up over 13% over the last month due in part to merger speculation.
- Previously: Walgreen Boots Alliance eyes U.S. drugstore acquisition (Mar. 12 2015)
- Previously: No quit in Walgreens-Rite Aid merger talk (Mar. 19 2015)
Thu, Mar. 19, 10:06 AM
- Shares of Rite Aid (RAD +3.8%) are higher again to extend on a rally fueled by Walgreens takeover rumors.
- Volume on Rite Aid over the last few sessions has been very elevated.
- Walgreen Boots Alliance (NASDAQ:WBA) is up over 6.6% for the week as investors don't scare off from the prospect of the company taking on the Rite Aid debt load.
- A big bet on Rite Aid is seen as a smarter play than buying up mom-and-pop chains.
Thu, Mar. 12, 2:33 PM
- Walgreen Boots Alliance (WBA +1.5%) is on the hunt for an acquisition in the U.S., according to the company's acting CEO
- "The next big one will probably be in the U.S. because it is such a big market," said Stefano Pessina at a retail conference.
- Shares of WBA are +9.8% since the Alliance Boots-Walgreen merger.
Fri, Mar. 6, 8:03 AM
- A light bulb has gone off with some large retail chains such as Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) and TJX Companies (NYSE:TJX) which have hiked low-level wages in order to improve employee retention rates.
- The math as compiled by Bloomberg is pretty compelling: The average retail sales worker makes $21,140 a year, while it costs $3,400 in training costs to replace them. At a high turnover rate it becomes more economical to lift wages.
- The development is interesting to economists pondering the future impact of Wal-Mart's (10% of all retail sales in the U.S.) new wage structure on U.S. unemployment rates.
- Related stocks: YUM, MCD, KR, TGT, SHLD, HD, WBA, LOW, GPS, JCP, BLMN.
Fri, Feb. 27, 11:31 AM
- Factset has compiled a list of the most popular holdings of hedge funds at the end of Q4 and which stocks fell in or out of favor within the group.
- Overall, hedge funds increased their positions in the top 50 holdings during the quarter by 1%.
- Top 50 hedge fund consumer staples/discretionary stocks showing an increase: Family Dollar (NYSE:FDO) +1.3%, PepsiCo (NYSE:PEP) +20.3%, Priceline Group (NASDAQ:PCLN) +24.2%, Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL) +15.3%.
- Top 50 hedge fund consumer staples/discretionary stocks showing a decrease: Mastercard (NYSE:MA) -4.2%, Walgreen Boots Alliance (NASDAQ:WBA) -1.3%, Dollar General (NYSE:DG) -11.6%, Mondelez International (NASDAQ:MDLZ) -0.9%.
- Another way to look at the list is to examine which stocks are missing. Coca-Cola (NYSE:KO), Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), and Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG) are in that club.
- Factset's hedge fund ownership report (.pdf)
Thu, Feb. 12, 9:43 AM
- The read on retail sales in the U.S. isn't nearly as bad as the headline -0.8% M/M drop for January.
- Retail sales were up 3.3% compared to a year ago with a few sectors showing strong growth.
- Restaurant sales +11.3% Y/Y: The strong read follows up on a positive report from Black Box Intelligence on the sector. CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, BDL, NATH, LUB, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, HABT, NDLS, PLKI, LOCO, YUM, KKD, TAST, GTIM, FRSH, COSI, FRS, PBPB, FRGI, QSR, CBRL, BLMN, ZOES.
- Sporting goods +8.0% Y/Y: DKS, BGFV, CAB, HIBB, SPWH.
- Building material and garden +6.9% Y/Y: A favorable weather compare came to the aid of this category. HD, LOW, LL.
- Health and personal care +6.6% Y/Y: Online channels have contributed for companies selling beauty and health items. ULTA, SBH, CVS, WBA, RAD.
Tue, Jan. 20, 4:48 PM
Tue, Jan. 20, 10:56 AM
- The Supreme Court passes on hearing a case over the level of swipe fees charged by banks to retailers.
- The cap on swipe fees will stand at $0.21-$0.24 following the high court decision.
- Intense lobbying from the financial services industry prompted the Fed to move off its original recommendation for a $0.12 cap.
- The National Retail Federation and other consumer groups have vowed to keep the fight going.
- Related stocks: V, MA, WMT, TGT, BBY, CVS, WBA, COST, HD, LOW, GPS, M.
Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc operates drug-stores chain in the United States. It provides consumer goods and services, pharmacy, and health and wellness services through drug-stores, as well as mail, and by telephone and online.
Other News & PR