Darspal S Mann
Thu, Feb. 11, 3:45 PM
- U.K. finance blogger Betaville reports hearing i-bank Moelis is "trying to broker a deal" between WebMD (WBMD +4.5%) and drugstore giant Walgreens Boots. Walgreen is said to have "already submitted an indicative offer."
- The FT reported in January WebMD is exploring a sale of all or part of its business. However, soon afterwards, the company stated it's "not currently in any negotiations to be acquired."
- Q4 results arrive on the afternoon of Feb. 23.
Thu, Jan. 14, 10:59 AM
- In response to an overnight FT report stating the company is thinking of partly or fully selling itself, WebMD (NASDAQ:WBMD) states it's "not currently in any negotiations to be acquired."
- Shares have given back their early gains, and then some. They rose yesterday (in spite of a steep market selloff) after WebMD favorably revised its Q4 guidance and offered an initial 2016 sales outlook.
Thu, Jan. 14, 2:51 AM
- WebMD (NASDAQ:WBMD), the U.S. online health information publisher, is exploring the possible sale of all or part of its business, FT reports.
- The company is said to be in talks with Walgreens Boots Alliance (NASDAQ:WBA) and UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH), among other potential buyers.
- Since the start of the year WebMD shares have risen 10%, giving the company a market value of close to $2B.
- Update: Shares are up 6% premarket on increased volume.
Jan. 8, 2014, 1:24 PM
- WebMD (WBMD +3.4%) is up 10% over the last two days, thanks largely to an upbeat Citi conference presentation (webcast) from CEO David Schlanger.
- Among other things, Schlanger mentioned WebMD is actively looking for potential acquisitions. The company had $777M in cash at the end of Q3, and $700M in debt.
Oct. 19, 2012, 10:31 AM
Jan. 5, 2012, 4:09 PM
WebMD (WBMD +3.5%) pops after Bloomberg reports it's on a "wish list" of assets Yahoo (YHOO) wants as part of its proposed asset swap with Alibaba (ALBIY.PK) and SoftBank (SFTBY.PK). Yahoo is also said to be interested in acquiring The Weather Channel (presumably for Weather.com and its mobile apps). The NY Post reported over the weekend that SoftBank has joined the bidding for WebMD.| Jan. 5, 2012, 4:09 PM
Jan. 3, 2012, 9:49 AMWebMD (WBMD +2.9%) shares continue to benefit from takeover rumors, the latest coming from a weekend NY Post story discussing Japan's SoftBank (SFTBY.PK) as jumping into the auction for the medical information website. SoftBank owns a 30% stake in Alibaba and 35% of Yahoo Japan. Several PE firms reportedly submitted $2B-plus offers two weeks ago, but the bids were non-binding. | Jan. 3, 2012, 9:49 AM
Dec. 20, 2011, 7:06 AM
WebMD (WBMD), which has notched some gains recently on reports it's holding buyout talks, appears to be taking the process less seriously than investors may have hoped. Several P-E firms reportedly put in bids yesterday, but the bids were non-binding, the suitors didn't have to provide proof of financing, and WebMD has refused suitors full access to its books.| Dec. 20, 2011, 7:06 AM
Dec. 15, 2011, 6:16 AM
Four P-E firms are vying for ailing WebMD (WBMD), including KKR (KKR) and Providence Equity, with Monday the bidding deadline, the NY Post reports. The health information provider has suffered a sharp drop in its share price this year, giving it a market cap of $1.97B, and prompting George Soros and Carl Icahn to buy shares.| Dec. 15, 2011, 6:16 AM
Nov. 30, 2011, 5:41 PM
After soaring yesterday on a report the company is holding buyout talks, WebMD (WBMD) sold off for a while today before closing with a solid 2.8% gain. Adding to the day's volatility was a 13D filed by major shareholder Carl Icahn; the filing urges WebMD to repurchase up to $1B in shares through a Dutch tender offer, with a maximum price of $36/share.| Nov. 30, 2011, 5:41 PM
Nov. 29, 2011, 2:45 PM
Nov. 8, 2011, 9:48 AM
WebMD (WBMD +2%) may begin drawing PE bidders with its record cash and the lowest valuation among internet content companies, Bloomberg speculates. After losing $1.9B in market cap in 2011, WBMD is valued at 3.1x revenue - the cheapest price-to-sales ratio of any major internet content provider. Yet cash has topped $1B the last three quarters even as the stock slides.| Nov. 8, 2011, 9:48 AM