Jul. 16, 2015, 3:17 PM
- WEC Energy (WEC +2.1%) is upgraded to Outperform from Neutral with a $54 price target, raised from $50, at Baird, which says the combination with Integrys (NYSE:TEG) should fuel attractive long-term total returns reflecting accelerated infrastructure investment opportunities that should support above-average EPS and dividend compound annual growth of 5%-7%.
- Baird says the combined firm appears well positioned to execute on a solid pipeline of regulated capital investment, backed by a constructive regulatory environment which supports timely returns on and of capital as well as a valuation boost from expanded natural gas LDC and transmission businesses.
Jun. 24, 2014, 2:55 PM
- Wisconsin Energy (WEC +1.9%) regains some of yesterday's 3.5% loss following its acquisition of Integrys (TEG +1.5%) for $71.47/share, which represents a 17.3% premium to Friday's closing price.
- Wells Fargo upgrades WEC to Outperform and raises its target price for shares to $50-$51 from $49-$50, believing the deal makes strategic sense given synergies associated with geographic fit and potential opportunities via an increased ownership in Wisconsin transmission grid owner ATC; however, CRT Capital cuts its WEC target price to $44 from $48, citing subsequent increased regulatory risk and potential year-long overhang (Briefing.com).
- For TEG shareholders, the deal brings a healthy 17% premium and they’re getting shares in a very solid company, says Morningstar's Charles Fishman.
Mar. 27, 2014, 5:45 PM
Mar. 4, 2014, 10:43 AM
- Utilities that meet takeover criteria outlined by Warren Buffett this weekend for another “major” acquisition after paying more than $5B last year for electricity provider NV Energy include Wisconsin Energy (WEC +1.8%) and Alliant Energy (LNT +1.1%), Bloomberg speculates.
- WEC and LNT operate in states with favorable regulatory environments, and LNT is expanding into renewable energy, which Buffett has signaled could be a focus for large investments, according to Morningstar; pipeline MLPs such as Plains All American (PAA) and MarkWest Energy (MWE) also could appeal to Buffett, a Baird analyst says.
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B) “is likely looking at a lot of small, regulated utilities that have a lot of growth on the table where his low cost of capital is an incredible advantage,” Morningstar's Mark Barnett says.
May 29, 2013, 2:41 PM
Dec. 7, 2011, 9:41 AM
Alliant Energy's (LNT +1.4%) recent moves to revise provisions for executive pay and employee retirement plans in case of a takeover sparks speculation that the operator of power plants in Wisconsin and Iowa could sell itself to Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) or Wisconsin Energy (WEC).| Dec. 7, 2011, 9:41 AM