The Enterprising Value Investor • 23 Comments
Michael Carter • 85 Comments
Tue, Jun. 21, 7:51 AM
Fri, Feb. 12, 9:26 AM
- Stifel Nicolaus sets its sights on the grocery store sector after yesterday's dramatic report of Kroger's (NYSE:KR) interest in a buyout of The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM).
- The investment firm gives Kroger a Buy rating and $45 price target after digesting the consolidation potential. Kroger's M&A spree over the last few years already includes Roundy's, Vitacost, and Harris Teeter - although management has been credited with successful integration strategies.
- Investors have been rewarded from Kroger's growth push with shares of the grocery store chain outperforming the S&P 500 Index by a wide margin (+215% vs. +36% over 5 years).
- Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ:SFM) is also given a Buy rating from Stifel and assigned a PT of $27.
- Previously: The Fresh Market closes +22% on buyout spike, more room to run? (Feb. 11 2016)
- SFM +2.1% premarket to $22.55 vs. a 52-week range of $16.41 to $38.45.
- TFM +1.81% premarket to $23.09 vs. a 52-week range of $17.81 to $42.09.
- WFM +1.90% premarket to $29.48 vs. a 52-week range of $28.07 to $57.57.
- KR +1.95% premarket to $37.14 vs. a 52-week range of $27.32 to $42.75.
May 14, 2015, 9:47 PM
- Consolidation in the grocery industry could pick up even more, observes Supermarket News.
- A large merger between Albertsons and Safeway (NYSE:SWY) has been followed by talks between Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) and Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY).
- The increased push by Wal-Mart and Target in the sector has added pressure to leverage store growth through M&A.
- "There is mounting pressure in the supermarket industry to consolidate operations to drive better purchasing power and leverage distribution and technology platforms," notes Wolfe Research.
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) is seen as a likely candidate to look for a chain to acquire.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize confirm merger talks (May 12)
- Grocery stocks: RNDY, SVU, VLGEA, WFM, CASY, IMKTA, OTCPK:PUSH, TFM, SFM, WMK.
May 11, 2015, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Nov. 9, 2011, 2:03 PM
Already having a big year, dealmaking in the grocery business is set to jump even more as regional players seek to size up. One firm on the radar screen is Supervalu (SVU), primed for acquisition or break-up as it tries to shed debt from its $12.4B purchase of Albertsons in 2006.| Nov. 9, 2011, 2:03 PM
Aug. 18, 2011, 8:45 AM
Whole Foods Market (WFM) +1.7% premarket after the Daily Mail reports on rumors that KKR and Bain Capital are interested in a cash offer for WFM at ~$90/share. Traders should take the report "with a grain of salt," StreetInsider.com advises, as the Daily Mail is "notorious for posting bunk takeover rumors about U.S. companies."| Aug. 18, 2011, 8:45 AM