Whirlpool: Expected Shareholder Returns Appear Low, Bonds Offer Relative Value
Jeremy Johnson, CFA
Jeremy Johnson, CFA
Jul. 2, 2015, 10:09 AM
- Whirlpool (WHR -1.4%) has reached a preliminary accord with Italian trade unions not to lay off staff or close down plants in the country.
- The company had been in heavy talks for more than two months following its original restructuring plan to cut almost 2,000 Italian jobs.
- Previously: Whirlpool catches flak in Italy over job cuts (May. 20 2015)
May 20, 2015, 2:39 PM
- Whirlpool (WHR -0.3%) faces pressure in Italy from government officials over a plan to cut nearly 2K jobs as part of a restructuring after buying Indesit.
- The company has been in talks with labor groups in the nation on the same issue.
- Whirlpool says the merger created redundancies which need to be eliminated.
May 19, 2015, 9:55 PM
- Whirlpool (NYSE:WHR) and Anheuser-Busch InBev (NYSE:BUD) starting selling their B.blend machine in Brazil today.
- The B.blend has the distinction of being the first all-purpose beverage maker with its capacity to make hot, cold, or carbonated single-serve drinks.
- A successful launch in the U.S. by the 50-50 partners could set up the product for an international roll-out.
- The development also has potential implications for Keurig Green Mountain (NASDAQ:GMCR), Coca-Cola (NYSE:KO), and SodaStream (NASDAQ:SODA)
May 18, 2015, 3:28 PM
- Whirpool (WHR +0.5%) acquires privately-held American Dryer Corporation for an undisclosed amount.
- American Dryer Corporation manufactures washing machines for commercial uses.
- Whirlpool expects to close on the deal within the next couple of weeks and integrate ADC into its business over the rest of the year.
May 8, 2015, 7:20 AM
May 4, 2015, 11:47 AM
- Whirlpool (WHR +0.1%) has been added to the Best Ideas List at Longbow Research.
- The company issued disappointing guidance last week amid F/X pressure, although some analysts are pointing to underlying strength in key regions and the merger synergies which are set to kick in.
- Shares of Whirlpool are -7.3% YTD.
- Previously: Whirlpool misses by $0.20, misses on revenue (Apr. 28 2015)
- Previously: More on Whirlpool's Q1 (Apr. 28 2015)
- Previously: Whirlpool -7% after guidance disappoints (Apr. 28 2015)
Apr. 28, 2015, 9:14 AM
- Whirlpool (NYSE:WHR) slides after cutting guidance below expectations due to F/X pressure and weak demand in Brazil.
- Acquisitions boosted the top-line revenue mark during the quarter, but full integration benefits haven't been realized yet.
- Previously: Whirlpool misses by $0.20, misses on revenue
- Previously: More on Whirlpool's Q1
- WHR -7.0% premarket to $184.09.
Apr. 28, 2015, 9:12 AM
Apr. 28, 2015, 7:20 AM
- Whirlpool (NYSE:WHR) reports its North American business saw a sales increase of 2.0% to $2.3B after excluding the currency impact.
- Sales were up 85.71% to $1.3B for the Europe, Middle East and Africa business.
- Whirlpool Latin America revenue fell 25% to $0.9B.
- Whirlpool Asia revenue +127.71% to $378M.
- Gross margin rate increased 30 bps to 17.60%.
- Operating profit margin decreased 36 bps to 6.56%.
- FY2015 Guidance: Diluted EPS: $9.00 to $10.00; Adjusted EPS: $12.00 to $13.00; Free cash flow: ~$700M; Capital expenditure: ~$750M to $800M.
- Unit shipment growth in FY2015: North America: ~4%; EMEA: Flat to +2%; Latin America: -10% to -12%; Asia: +1% to +3%.
- WHR -3.96% premarket.
- Q1 results
Apr. 28, 2015, 6:05 AM
- Whirlpool (NYSE:WHR): Q1 EPS of $2.14 misses by $0.20.
- Revenue of $4.85B (+11.2% Y/Y) misses by $210M.
Apr. 20, 2015, 10:03 PM
- Whirlpool (NYSE:WHR) declares $0.90/share quarterly dividend, 20% increase from prior dividend of $0.75.
- Forward yield 1.85%
- Payable June 15; for shareholders of record May 15; ex-div May 13.
Apr. 16, 2015, 1:23 PM
- Whirlpool (WHR -1.1%) announces it will invest $535.3M on operations in Italy as part of a restructuring plan.
- "A large portion of this investment will be targeted at developing a specialized and efficient network of factories and innovative product platforms," reads the Whirlpool statement.
- The company also plans to eliminate 1,350 redundant jobs.
- The measures are tied to the integration of Indesit into Whirlpool.
- SEC Form 8-K
Apr. 8, 2015, 11:00 AM
- Shares of Whirlpool (NYSE:WHR) are down 1.8% after rival Electrolux (OTC:ELUXF, OTCPK:ELUXY) warns on results in North America.
- The Swedish appliance seller expects to post a loss in Q1 due in part to costs tied to energy regulations.
- "Electrolux operations continue to be negatively impacted by the transition of the product ranges within refrigeration and freezers," reads the company's statement.
- Electrolux will release full Q1 results on April 24.
- Shares of Electrolux ADRs have fallen 7.7%.
- Electrolux update on North American operations
Mar. 24, 2015, 1:51 PM
- A slowdown in the single serve coffee market is giving some opportunities in the recovering drip coffee market, according to a blog post from NPD Group.
- 42% of respondents to a NPD survey own a single serve coffee system already with less than half saying they plan on replacing their machine in the next three years.
- Drip coffee makers and coffee grinder sales have both improved recently amid the maturity of single-serve as households veer toward having both a quick and a more complex coffee option.
- Related coffee machine stocks: Keurig Green Mountain (NASDAQ:GMCR), Hamilton Beach (NYSE:NC), KitchenAid (NYSE:WHR), Cuisinart (private), Breville (OTC:BVILF, OTCPK:BVILY), Mr. Coffee (NYSE:JAH).
Feb. 26, 2015, 9:30 AM
Feb. 24, 2015, 8:41 AM
- Strong demand at Home Depot and Lowe's as consumers boost their home improvement spending sets up suppliers for a Q1 boost.
- A higher mix of domestic sales can also help select companies withstand the impact of F/X translation to U.S. dollars for their global business.
- Previously: Home Depot and Lowe's higher after strong read on HD traffic (Feb. 24 2015)
- Home Depot-watching: SWK, SPB, ENR, PG, TTC, OC, WHR,
Whirlpool Corp. manufactures and markets home appliances. Its principal products include home laundry appliances, home refrigerators and freezers, home cooking appliances, home dishwashers, and room air-conditioning equipment, mixers, and other portable household appliances. The company markets... More
Sector: Consumer Goods
Country: United States
Other News & PR