Jeremy Johnson, CFA
Jul. 23, 2014, 8:18 AM
- Citing the costs associated with pending acquisitions in China and Europe, Whirlpool (NYSE:WHR) cuts full-year EPS guidance to $10.30-$10.80 from $11.05-$11.55.
- As for Q2 results, North America sales of $2.7B rose about 4%, excluding currency impacts, with operating margin of 10.6%, up from 10.1%.
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa ales of $746M rose about 3% ex-currency.
- Latin America sales of $1.1B declined about 4% ex-currency.
- Asia sales of $211M fell about 9% ex-currency.
- Shares -5.7% premarket
- Previously: Whirlpool misses by $0.29, misses on revenue
Nov. 14, 2013, 12:48 PM
- Whirlpool (WHR +4.2%) is one of the biggest gainers in the S&P 500 as Janet Yellen's testimony in front of the Senate Banking Committee includes encouraging signs the company might continue to benefit from lower mortgage rates.
- Shares of Whirlpool are up 48% YTD and are threatening to etch out a new all-time high.
Oct. 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
- Whirlpool (WHR -6.5%) shares are down sharply on heavy volume after Cleveland Research issues a note that appliance demand has softened in Sept. (shipments are seen up 5%-7% YoY vs. Aug.'s 15%).
- Cleveland, which has a neutral rating on WHR, thinks Whirlpool will still hit Q3 EPS numbers despite weakening trends.
Oct. 14, 2013, 10:00 AM| Oct. 14, 2013, 10:00 AM | 3 Comments
Sep. 18, 2013, 9:40 AM
Aug. 28, 2013, 3:29 AM
- The rupee's collapse shows no sign of abating, with India's currency hitting yet another record low of 68.71 to the dollar. The USD-INR is now +2.9% at 68.225, while shares are down again, dropping 1.1%.
- "It is just impossible to put any realistic value to the rupee any more," says forex dealer Uday Bhatt.
- Foreign investors are fleeing the country, selling almost $1B of shares in the eight session through yesterday, although net purchases for 2013 are $12B. Bond outflows this year are $4.5B.
- Complicating matters for India is that the prices of gold and oil, its biggest imports, are surging this week due to the tension with Syria.
- The rupee's slide comes despite the government taking measures to try to stem the tide. The latest proposal is to create swap agreements with other countries to reduce demand for foreign currencies.
- The collapse in the rupee is causing havoc with companies such as Whirlpool of India (WHR), as the trend is boosting import costs at the same time that consumer spending is falling.
- ETFs - Stocks: INDY, EPI, PIN, INP, INDA, INXX, SCIF, SCIN, INDL, SMIN. Currency: ICN, INR
Jul. 19, 2013, 7:07 AM
More on Whirlpool (WHR) Q2 earnings: FY2013 EPS guidance is upped $0.25 to $10.05-$10.55. Free cash flow generation is raised $50M to $650M-$700M. "Given the strong underlying trends in our business, we recently resumed our share repurchase program ... Sales increased in every region of the world as we continued to expand margins." Shares +3.9% premarket. (PR)| Jul. 19, 2013, 7:07 AM
Jun. 21, 2013, 12:25 PMShares of Whirlpool (WHR -5.1%) and Select Comfort (SCSS -2.9%) trade weak on what some analysts are calling a delayed reaction to weakness in the homebuilding sector. The pair are also acting as a bit of a drag for the Homebuilders ETF (XHB -2.8%) of which they are a holding. | Jun. 21, 2013, 12:25 PM
Apr. 24, 2013, 9:46 AM
Jan. 31, 2013, 12:00 PMWhirlpool (WHR +2.9%) CEO Jeff Fettig thinks the company's demand in the U.S. will grow by 2% to 3% this year as the housing market keep up forward momentum. The appliance seller expects slightly better results in Latin America and Asia, forecasting 3% and 5% growth, respectively. (earnings) | Jan. 31, 2013, 12:00 PM
Oct. 24, 2012, 11:04 AM
Jul. 30, 2012, 1:17 PM
Jul. 24, 2012, 9:04 AM
Whirlpool (WHR) -4.8% premarket following its earnings report in which decent results in North and Latin America were offset by weakness in Europe. Forgetting the Continent, the company is showing some pricing power in North America, with sales higher by 4% even as volume shrunk 2%. (PR)| Jul. 24, 2012, 9:04 AM
May 30, 2012, 2:41 PM
Shares of Whirlpool (WHR +4.0%) move up after the U.S. International Trade Administration rules that rivals Samsung and LG dumped washing machines in the U.S. at prices below fair value. The Commerce Department plans to tag duties on imports of washing machines as a temporary response to the practice.| May 30, 2012, 2:41 PM
May 16, 2012, 1:09 PM
Whirlpool (WHR +2.3%) jumps higher despite yesterday's revelation that John Paulson shed his stake in the company - a move that NBG's Brian Sozzi tweets is telling based on the company's "durable competitive advantages." Today's minor run in share price has been helped by a strong presentation by management at a JPMorgan homebuilding conference that includes a reiteration of full-year EPS at $6.50-$7.00.| May 16, 2012, 1:09 PM
Apr. 17, 2012, 12:14 PM
Shares of Whirlpool (WHR -5.2%) are getting hit today after the ITC sides with LG in its antidumping case, saying that unlawfully traded bottom-mount refrigerators imported from South Korea and Mexico did not cause material injury to the U.S. industry.| Apr. 17, 2012, 12:14 PM