Tue, Nov. 17, 3:03 PM
Thu, Jul. 30, 3:48 PM
Thu, Jul. 9, 3:08 PM
Wed, Jun. 24, 8:46 AM
- Grocery store stocks could see some volatility after Ahold agrees to buy Delhaize.
- Retail analysts think the sector could see more M&A with the presence of larger retail chains such as Target and Wal-Mart placing some pressure on companies to scale up.
- On watch: Kroger (NYSE:KR), Supervalu (NYSE:SVU), Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY), Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA), Village Super Market (NASDAQ:VLGEA), Weis Markets (NYSE:WMK), Fairway Group Holdings (NASDAQ:FWM).
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize agree to merger
Thu, May 14, 9:47 PM
- Consolidation in the grocery industry could pick up even more, observes Supermarket News.
- A large merger between Albertsons and Safeway (NYSE:SWY) has been followed by talks between Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) and Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY).
- The increased push by Wal-Mart and Target in the sector has added pressure to leverage store growth through M&A.
- "There is mounting pressure in the supermarket industry to consolidate operations to drive better purchasing power and leverage distribution and technology platforms," notes Wolfe Research.
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) is seen as a likely candidate to look for a chain to acquire.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize confirm merger talks (May 12)
- Grocery stocks: RNDY, SVU, VLGEA, WFM, CASY, IMKTA, OTCPK:PUSH, TFM, SFM, WMK.
Fri, May 1, 12:23 PM
Thu, Apr. 23, 4:53 PM
Tue, Mar. 3, 4:29 PM
Mon, Mar. 2, 11:37 AM
- Ingles Markets (IMKTA +7.1%) and Weis Markets (WMK +7.8%) are making a strong move as the regional grocery store sector falls into favor.
- Fairway Group (FWM +2%), Roundy's (RNDY +0.7%), and The Fresh Market (TFM +0.8%) are also ahead of market averages.
- A slowed down roll-out of the small grocery concept from Wal-Mart is a factor in the sector, according to Supermarket News.
Thu, Feb. 5, 3:18 PM
Wed, Jan. 21, 7:37 AM
- Grocery store chains stand to lose from the decision by the Supreme Court to reject a case on the swipe fee cap, according to analysts.
- Almost 70% of purchases in grocery stores are paid for by consumers with credit or debit cards.
- Operating margins in the industry tend to be very low.
- In some cases, the interchange fee which goes to the processing bank is higher than the profit margin on the grocery item.
- Trade groups repping the grocery industry wanted a cap of $0.07-$0.12, instead of the $0.21 approved by the Fed.
- Previously: Supreme Court passes on looking at swipe fees cap (Jan. 20 2015)
- Grocery store stocks: IMKTA, NGVC, TFM, SFM, SWY, DEG, SFS, WFM, SVU, KR, CASY, WMK, VLGEA.
Fri, Jan. 9, 8:35 AM
- The House passed a bill to redefine a full-time worker under the Affordable Care Act to 40 hours a week from 30 hours.
- The legislation could impact millions of workers as companies adjust hours and employee policies around the issue.
- The measure was passed by a vote total of 252-172.
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has indicated the bill will see a vote in his chamber.
- The White House has threatened to veto the bill on its view it will reduce the number of workers covered by healthcare.
- Most industry groups within the restaurant and food industry have issued support for the legislation.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, BDL, NATH, LUB, QSR, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, CASY, IMKTA, SFS, KR, WMK, SVU, WFM, SWY, VLGEA, TFM,NGVC, BIG, ZU, TUES, WMT, PSMT, COST, TGT, DLTR, BURL, FDO, DG, FRED, WBA, RAD, CVS, HABT, NDLS, PBPB.
Oct. 23, 2014, 5:30 PM
Aug. 1, 2014, 9:19 AM
Jul. 10, 2014, 4:34 PM
May 7, 2014, 2:12 PM
Weis Markets Inc is engaged in the retail sale of food in Pennsylvania and surrounding states. The Company's retail food stores sell groceries, dairy products, frozen foods, meats, seafood, fresh produce, floral, deli products, and prepared foods.
Other News & PR