Oct. 14, 2013, 9:06 AM| Oct. 14, 2013, 9:06 AM
Oct. 9, 2013, 2:14 PM
- Online rivals continue to chip away at the exclusivity of Williams-Sonoma's (WSM -1%) products to leave the retailer more vulnerable to the showrooming effect.
- A trend of declining same-store stores in five of the last seven quarters is partially attributed to the sensation.
- "They have to reinvent themselves," notes one industry insider. Others say the Williams-Sonoma brand needs to find a way to become aspirational again.
Sep. 20, 2013, 5:02 PM
- Williams-Sonoma Inc. (WSM) declares $0.31/share quarterly dividend.
- Forward yield 2.21%
- Payable Nov. 25; for shareholders of record Oct. 25; ex-div Oct. 23.
Sep. 3, 2013, 11:42 AM
- Williams-Sonoma (WSM -0.6%) "faces notable gross margin headwinds in H2 as we believe more aggressive promotions will continue to drive sales, particularly in the retail segment," Canaccord's Laura Champine says, downgrading the shares to Hold from Buy.
- Champine sees gross margin falling 53 bps to 38.9% (presumably for the year), the weakest showing since 2009.
- On the bright side, Champine says any "near-term pressure is fairly reflected at the stock's current multiples of 18x FY14 EPS estimates."
- Q2 gross margin was 37.6% versus 38.3% during Q2 2012 due to "lower selling margins, primarily in the retail channel." (CC transcript)
Aug. 28, 2013, 3:16 PM
- A strong quarter for housing filtered down to help lift results for Williams-Sonoma (WSM -1.2%) during Q2.
- Brand revenue growth: Pottery Barn +9.9%; Williams-Sonoma -0.4%; Pottery Barn Kids +8.2%; West Elm +16.5%; PBteen +16.3%.
- Direct to customer sales rose 15.3% to $478M
- The retailer raised its FY13 revenue guidance to $4.26B-$4.34B vs. $4.28B consensus. (PR)
- Shares have resumed trading after a short halt.
Aug. 28, 2013, 2:46 PM
- Williams-Sonoma (WSM -0.5%): Q2 EPS of $0.49 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $982M beats by $42M. (PR)
Aug. 28, 2013, 12:10 AM
Aug. 27, 2013, 5:35 PM
Aug. 26, 2013, 10:46 AM
- A consumer paradigm shift toward "things that last" could disrupt the critical holiday shopping season, according to retail analysts.
- After a Q2 which saw Home Depot (HD), Lowe's (LOW), Best Buy (BBY), hhgregg (HGG), and Conn's (CONN) report solid sales for appliances, a fresh forecast from IBM sees much of the same for H2 with discretionary spending tightening for apparel and incidentals.
- Looking for the trend to end: AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, JCP, JWN, KSS, LTD, M, NDN, NKE, PIR, PLCE, RL, RSH, SKS, SPLS, TGT, TIF, TJX, URBN, WMT, WSM, BKE, PSUN, ZUMZ, EXPR
Aug. 22, 2013, 9:35 AM
- "We believe the downside at current levels is limited as we head into the Q2 print next week," Jefferies says regarding shares of Williams-Sonoma (WSM +0.8%).
- "The odds of a miss are fairly remote, in our view, and we believe there is an expectation that management will continue to guide very conservatively when it lays out its plan for the back half of the year," analyst John Marrin notes.
- Price target raised to $67 from $52.
Jun. 21, 2013, 10:07 AMWilliams-Sonoma (WSM) declares $0.31/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous. Forward yield 2.26%. For shareholders of record July 26. Payable Aug. 02. Ex-div date July 24. (PR) | Jun. 21, 2013, 10:07 AM
May 31, 2013, 8:45 AM
A below par reading on personal spending for April was affected by lower gas prices and home heating bills and isn't a biting indictment on retail spending (AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, HD, JCP, JWN, KSS, LOW, LTD, M, NDN, NKE, ODP, PIR, PLCE, RSH, SKS, SPLS, TGT, TJX, URBN, WMT, WSM, ZLC), according to economists. Auto sales also cooled off just a bit in April which had an impact. So far, retail trends have been largely favorable in May as the height of the spring selling season shifted a few weeks later.| May 31, 2013, 8:45 AM | 4 Comments
May 23, 2013, 8:50 PM
More on Williams-Sonoma's (WSM) Q1: Revenues, operating margin, and EPS rise 8.6%, 120 basis points, and 33% Y/Y respectively. The quarter was "the best Q1 in the company's history," CEO Laura Alber says. Comps (which is "comparable brand revenue" here) rose 7.2% versus 5.4% growth in Q1 2012. Negative Q1 2012 comps growth in the namesake brand, Pottery Barn Kids, and PBteen is reversed, as the brands see growth of 1.9%, 6.9%, and 16.1% respectively during the quarter. WSM raises FY13 guidance to $2.67-2.77/share on revenue of $4.22-4.3B against consensus of $2.77/share and sales of $4.25B. Shares flat AH. (PR)| May 23, 2013, 8:50 PM
May 23, 2013, 4:08 PMWilliams-Sonoma (WSM): Q1 EPS of $0.41 beats by $0.05. Revenue of $888M (+8.6% Y/Y) beats by $19.89M. (PR) | May 23, 2013, 4:08 PM
May 23, 2013, 12:10 AM
May 22, 2013, 5:35 PM